The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Reds lucky not to be down a goal or two in Europa play. Hearts played a solid match and, obviously, were unlucky on the own goal from Webster. 2 matches running, Liverpool dominate possession, which is what Rogers is looking for, but what has it translated into? Nothing. Hearts play certainly was a huge improvement over lasts season's first leg against Spurs... 0-5!

Sterling looked like he means business on the wing... Borini isn't solving the scoring woes from last season's most hits of the woodwork and lowest strike rate.

Wonder what the plan is for City? Pass the ball about and look for a nil-nil?

:towel::canucks:

I'm not sure about Otsu. He was good at the Olympics but he only featured as a substitute for Monchengladbach a couple of times. Lennon says he likes him as a player but nothing has been agreed upon and there likely won't be any signings until next week. A lot of Celtic fans won't be happy if the board pockets CL money (IF they qualify) and don't spend a thing. Especially with the ever growing injury list.

I heard rumours about him doing something on Twitter, but I haven't seen any details on what that was?

They have to invest some money on players between the champions league coin and the money received for Ki, I guess, with Rangers not being in the league though, they have the perfect excuse not too........make up for the Old Firm money lost blah blah blah.......

oh, and Celtic fans are never happy :lol:

Reds lucky not to be down a goal or two in Europa play. Hearts played a solid match and, obviously, were unlucky on the own goal from Webster. 2 matches running, Liverpool dominate possession, which is what Rogers is looking for, but what has it translated into? Nothing. Hearts play certainly was a huge improvement over lasts season's first leg against Spurs... 0-5!

Sterling looked like he means business on the wing... Borini isn't solving the scoring woes from last season's most hits of the woodwork and lowest strike rate.

Wonder what the plan is for City? Pass the ball about and look for a nil-nil?

They played well but I really can't see them getting anything at WHL.

EDIT: Anfield... I'm not thinking clearly at all today.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

I'm not sure about Otsu. He was good at the Olympics but he only featured as a substitute for Monchengladbach a couple of times. Lennon says he likes him as a player but nothing has been agreed upon and there likely won't be any signings until next week. A lot of Celtic fans won't be happy if the board pockets CL money (IF they qualify) and don't spend a thing. Especially with the ever growing injury list.

I heard rumours about him doing something on Twitter, but I haven't seen any details on what that was?

Otsu would be a great signing for the right price. The SPL is a perfect place for player development and what better place to play than the best in Scotland? He'd fit in nicely with Samaras, Commons and Kayal, IMO.

I wish the Reds followed up on Wanyama rumours. He is a special player.

They played well but I really can't see them getting anything at WHL.

EDIT: Anfield... I'm not thinking clearly at all today.

Agreed, Scottish.

The thing is, do you see the Reds getting anything at Anfield? I sure hope Liverpool field a more experienced lineup next week. I know they are resting players for City, but, the lineup Rogers put out was pretty weak.

Hearts only need to nick one to got to extra time / penalties.

Don't know about you guys but club football makes me want national football back again. September qualifiers need to come faster :frantic:

I love club footy, but, I am really looking forward to Canadian, English and Scottish qualifiers.

Scotland's in tough, it seems. England's group is very soft. Canada? I'm always hoping. I think, with 4 points already, they have a shot at going through.

Edited by lof

Italians have got Denamrk and Czechs to worry about. Not too intimidating but good teams nonetheless. I would also keep my eye on Armenia as they came close to Euro qualification.

Hoping to see more of Destro and Borini, as well as Diamanti in qualifications. We also need Criscito back. Having him in the Euro would have been immense to our injured back four

Don't know about you guys but club football makes me want national football back again. September qualifiers need to come faster :frantic:

International football is sh!te compared to domestic. Too many teams play for draws or 1-0 wins in international football. The last Euros were certainly better than the last world cup but still, give me the blood and guts of domestic football anyday

In my opinion, international football died the day they decided you didnt have to be born in a country to represent it

Dortmund kick off the season with an important win.

I missed most of the second half. I had the game on in the pub I work at but then a bunch of guys came in to watch Nottingham Forest and Bolton...

I was not impressed.

Reus looks like the perfect replacement for Kagawa. I think he's going to be a special player.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

anyone know if Van Persie will start tomorrow for United?

I would imagine he would, good chance that Buttner will too with Evra and Vidic at centre back, Rafa at right back.

I reckon something like

DDG, Rafa, Vidic, Evra, Buttner, Valencia, Carrick, Kagawa, Young, RVP, Rooney

Edited by topbananas

another dodgy penalty for chelsea at home. something has to be done, retrospective punishment, Torres blatantly dived

He got what he deserved earlier for the dive with a booking for decent. Do any clubs get more penalties at home than Chelsea and Man U?

Pretty sweet outside-of-the-foot bender by Torres to make it 2-0.

Just showed a replay of the Torres "dive". Turned out there was not just one contact but two by the Newcastle defender. Dowd got it right!

Edited by lof

He got what he deserved earlier for the dive with a booking for decent. Do any clubs get more penalties at home than Chelsea and Man U?

Pretty sweet outside-of-the-foot bender by Torres to make it 2-0.

have a look at the Premier league stats for penalties awarded and conceded, you will be surprised about Uniteds +/- Chelsea have had 3 in 3 games.

Torres has blatantly dived 3 times in the first half so is very very lucky to still be on the park. Had he been booked for the "penalty" like he should have been, different game altogether. He is certainly carrying on where Drogba left off. Biggest cheats in the game. Worst club from top to bottom with fans to match

have a look at the Premier league stats for penalties awarded and conceded, you will be surprised about Uniteds +/- Chelsea have had 3 in 3 games.

Torres has blatantly dived 3 times in the first half so is very very lucky to still be on the park. Had he been booked for the "penalty" like he should have been, different game altogether. He is certainly carrying on where Drogba left off. Biggest cheats in the game. Worst club from top to bottom with fans to match

Some interesting numbers here over the last decade, top bananas...

On The Spot: Premier League Penalty Stats

Penalties have always been an issue in football, with so many given and so many not, so many scored and so many missed. Penalties are, for many the scourge of the game, with fans all having their own points of view of what should be and what shouldn’t.

Referees of course are key; they are the decision makers, although we all know they get plenty of assistance from the players, the fans and sometimes even from their assistants on the touchlines.

Most pundits however agree that what goes around comes around and that penalties even out over a course of a season but do they?

The following list is made up from those teams who have spent the last decade in the Premier League, along with penalties awarded and conceded during that time. In some cases it completely contradicts the belief that penalties balance out, particularly for teams who have, shall we say, been a regular top five or six team during that period.

Not too surprisingly is the fact that Manchester United lead the way in terms of the differential between those awarded and those conceded. Up until February 2nd this year, the ‘Red Devils’ had been awarded 52 penalties and conceded only 26, and they were given two more last weekend in their 3-3 draw against Chelsea.

It is the Blues in fact that come next with 52 awarded and 25 conceded, although that of course should be 27 conceded after the ‘United’ game. Liverpool come next with a differential of 20 while Arsenal are fourth placed with a difference of 18.

The thing about these numbers, though, is that good (Man U, Blues, Reds) teams play more in the other team's box, therefore, more penalties for and less against.

:towel: :canucks:

Edited by lof

Any indications of KSY leaving Celtic? He's running out of time, and I'd rather he didn't waste away there, especially if he could be playing first team minutes in the Premier League.

No offence against Scotland. :)

He's left. Swansea. Might as well cash in on a player who wasn't getting games for the club.

And yeah, lof. Decent performance by a second string team really.