The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

An early test for Chelsea and was well played. I didn't think it was a dive by Torres, but it was a matter of time anyways for Chelsea to strike first against a Newcastle side that was simply outclassed. Superb job by Cahill to keeping the two-head Newcastle monsters in check all match long, I find a David Luiz and Gary Cahill tandem has more swagger than Terry and Gary Cahill. Still early, but Swansea looks like they got something special going and Michu could be another superb summer signing along the lines with Hazard. I follow a bit of La Liga as well and thought Michu was very underrated, he keeps it up and should get a call up by Spain. Another shakey performance by Man Utd and this was against a Dempsey-less Fulham! Should be no excuses for Man Utd especially after a light weight trophy-less last season, so therefore no hangovers, plus the major signings over the summer. Midfield is atrocious with the current players in there, no sync and fluid at all and Fergie is too arrogant to address it with the transfer window closing soon. But lucky for the Scums, they got a easy schedule for the next 6 rounds before they get Chelsea and Arsenal back-to-back.

An early test for Chelsea and was well played. I didn't think it was a dive by Torres, but it was a matter of time anyways for Chelsea to strike first against a Newcastle side that was simply outclassed. Superb job by Cahill to keeping the two-head Newcastle monsters in check all match long, I find a David Luiz and Gary Cahill tandem has more swagger than Terry and Gary Cahill. Still early, but Swansea looks like they got something special going and Michu could be another superb summer signing along the lines with Hazard. I follow a bit of La Liga as well and thought Michu was very underrated, he keeps it up and should get a call up by Spain. Another shakey performance by Man Utd and this was against a Dempsey-less Fulham! Should be no excuses for Man Utd especially after a light weight trophy-less last season, so therefore no hangovers, plus the major signings over the summer. Midfield is atrocious with the current players in there, no sync and fluid at all and Fergie is too arrogant to address it with the transfer window closing soon. But lucky for the Scums, they got a easy schedule for the next 6 rounds before they get Chelsea and Arsenal back-to-back.

:lol: :lol: you played against a team who played an away European match 48 hours before so pipe down rent boy. Torres is a cheat, a part of his game he never had before he went south. I seem to remember Chelsea starting the last couple of seasons winning 6-0 or something like that and thumping teams in the first 2 or 3 games, served you well in the league that. Chelsea will not be within 10 points of United or City at the end of the season.

Once we have Jones, Smalling, Evans, Ferdinand back and we get Carrick back in to midfield we will be fine.

Best game of the young season in the EPL, so far. Reds unlucky not to have 3 points today. Both City goals gifted to them but it's not like they didn't have chances that they created on their own, too. A fair result, I'd say and certainly a huge improvement over the West Brom debacle.

I'm not sure how much more time Gerrard has as an "impact" player. He seems out of sorts so far this year and spends most of his time holding, it seems. Shelvey and The Wee, Young Boy (except on the Toure goal) didn't look out of place. Skrtel with a World Class header and a World Class blunder.

Also, congrats to Andre Mariner for calling a good match. The only question for me, after looking at about 20 replays, is was Johnson caught for a penalty by Kolorov? I think so, but, doesn't matter.

Great match!

:towel::canucks:

Was just reading a few articles from ages ago, and thought it would be interesting to look at TV payments to premier league teams.

Arsenal - £56,223,505

Aston Villa - £42,104,709

Blackburn Rovers - £40,317,633

Bolton Wanderers - £40,594,585

Chelsea - £54,436,429

Everton - £48,900,267

Fulham - £47,390,143

Liverpool - £54,360,635

Manchester City - £60,602,289

Manchester United - £60,325,337

Newcastle United - £54,235,271

Norwich City - £45,603,067

QPR - £43,262,087

Stoke City - £43,614,833

Sunderland - £44,369,895

Swansea City - £45,880,019

Tottenham Hotspur - £57,380,883

West Brom - £46,635,081

Wigan Athletic - £42,859,771

Wolves - £39,084,461

Championship teams receiving parachute payments

Birmingham City - £15,475,005

Blackpool - £15,475,005

Burnley - £12,219,732

Hull City - £12,219,732

Middlesbrough - £4,081,548

Portsmouth - £12,219,732

West Ham United - £15,475,000

How can anyone compete with that? And with the deal getting bigger from next season the balance in power within football is just going to increase in favour of the EPL. The smaller leagues are completely screwed. I mean, Celtic are a relatively "big" club in football, but we get under £2 million.

Was just reading a few articles from ages ago, and thought it would be interesting to look at TV payments to premier league teams.

Arsenal - £56,223,505

Aston Villa - £42,104,709

Blackburn Rovers - £40,317,633

Bolton Wanderers - £40,594,585

Chelsea - £54,436,429

Everton - £48,900,267

Fulham - £47,390,143

Liverpool - £54,360,635

Manchester City - £60,602,289

Manchester United - £60,325,337

Newcastle United - £54,235,271

Norwich City - £45,603,067

QPR - £43,262,087

Stoke City - £43,614,833

Sunderland - £44,369,895

Swansea City - £45,880,019

Tottenham Hotspur - £57,380,883

West Brom - £46,635,081

Wigan Athletic - £42,859,771

Wolves - £39,084,461

Championship teams receiving parachute payments

Birmingham City - £15,475,005

Blackpool - £15,475,005

Burnley - £12,219,732

Hull City - £12,219,732

Middlesbrough - £4,081,548

Portsmouth - £12,219,732

West Ham United - £15,475,000

How can anyone compete with that? And with the deal getting bigger from next season the balance in power within football is just going to increase in favour of the EPL. The smaller leagues are completely screwed. I mean, Celtic are a relatively "big" club in football, but we get under £2 million.

I would NEVER want to see Scottish football collapse, but, maybe it's time they join / amalgamate with the FA? I don't know what the mechanics and details of this happening would be. I do know there has been talk of it many times before even as recent as this summer where the Old Firm was blocked from trying to join the EPL by the bastards at FIFA.

The new SPL TV deal with Sky is for 5 years and $65M. Man U and Man Cit both make almost this much on their own!

What say you, Scottish?

Portsmouth are in league one remember. Anyway, they are in more trouble with money again even with the cash from other clubs.

I don't see the SPL/SFA/FA doing any kind of merger. It would have been interesting if Rangers were booted from the football league if they sought a place in say the northern premier league, or something like that. Would be a fun football manager challenge to get them to the EPL... but I think I would vomit blood if I played any game using them. I certainly don't think any club should be given a free pass to the Football league (league 2) let alone the EPL. What do you think Wrexham (1921-2008) and Newport (1920-1988) etc would think of that as "foreign" clubs in the English football pyramid and they can't get back to the football league. Founding members of the EPL who would probably also take issue.

Coventry City - League 1

Oldham Ath - League 1

Sheffield U - League 1

Sort of part of the first years are also Notts County League 1 and Luton Town Conference National.

I would NEVER want to see Scottish football collapse, but, maybe it's time they join / amalgamate with the FA? I don't know what the mechanics and details of this happening would be. I do know there has been talk of it many times before even as recent as this summer where the Old Firm was blocked from trying to join the EPL by the bastards at FIFA.

The new SPL TV deal with Sky is for 5 years and $65M. Man U and Man Cit both make almost this much on their own!

What say you, Scottish?

I don't think they will ever be allowed to join the English Leagues. I'd rather stay in Scotland right now to be honest and try to qualify for the CL year after year. If we're successful then we can build on that. Celtic are a selling club right now unfortunately. Buy in cheap and sell for a profit.

Also, Maicosuel's penalty is the perfect example of what an idiot you look if chipping the ball down the middle goes wrong.

Wanyama is a stud! Celtic into Group Stages of CL! The Hoops did what they had to do to win in very similar style as last week in Sweden. First goal looked to be offside, but, like the Canucks, if you don't score a goal, you can't win so it didn't really matter in the end.

Anyone watch El Clasico today? Hala Madrid! Great game for the whites. I posted the link to the match highlights. Ridiculous skill from Cristiano to play the ball to himself on his goal, and a perfect free kick from Messi. I really hope there is a Real Mardid/Barca Champions League final.

Match highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxRDM7DP758

Roughly £17m guaranteed to go into the bank already ::D Any performance bonus is....well... a bonus.

I shall be purchasing the three game package when it goes on sale. Hopefully money well spent.

Here's the question now, Scottish... Bank it and work on debt or make a signing or two? Debt was around $7M in February. Would you pay it off?

Here's the question now, Scottish... Bank it and work on debt or make a signing or two? Debt was around $7M in February. Would you pay it off?

Well minus the £5m from Ki it is probably just above £2m now. They will pay that off and my guess is bank at least %50 of the £15m left to cover any costs over the next two years. I would assume that will leave Neil with about £7m-£7.5m left for a couple of players.I did read that the sum was more in the £20m range which would be even better.