The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nail Yakupov -- The Next Elite NHL Superstar.

Guest Voucer

But let's face it so far EDM has overachieved (they could still make the playoffs though) and as with most rookies he will probably hit a slump at some point. I could see him getting 65-70pts this year. I think that if Yakupov plays with the right guys he will at least reach that point next year.

I don't think it's fair to RNH to just chalk up his early success as being part of an overachieving team. He's been easily the Oilers best player. You say Yakupov will need to play the right players. Right now RNH is the right player for whoever is on his line.

I'm not trying to bash Yakupov. I'm just responding to the suggestion that he would be better early in their careers. Right now RNH sits tied for 10th in league scoring so I'd say he's set the bar pretty high....and I don't think it would be fair to Yakupov to expect the same type of success this early. Maybe he will. I just don't think that should be the expectations.

I'm actually going to argue for Ryan Smyth. RNH has been scoring in bunches (a level of inconsistency which is typical of an 18-year old in the NHL), while Smyth has been a very pleasant surprise for the second line. He's consistent and playing with a level of intensity that we haven't seen since he got traded away.

And I think he's been promoted to the first line now, if I'm not correct.

man he is 5'11 and 167 pounds , and he is playing in the OHL .... he can hit because most of the guys out there are not completely grown yet , if he doesn't gain alot of weight he is not gonna hit anybody in the NHL and he might get laid pretty bad , fine he broke a glass in juniors, there's a whole difference between breaking a glass in the OHL and competing against guys like Scott Stevens, Ovechkin, Phaneuf,...

Everybody is comparing him to Ovechkin but NAil = 5'11 and 167 lbs , Ovie = 6'3 , 230 lbs

Man if he got run over by Ovie he would prolly not survive...

Anyways , I think he is really really talented and he might turn into a great offensive player but he'll be like one of these guys like Paul Kariya who plays offense really well, tries to avoid hits with great speed and scores but he will never be a big hitter in the NHL with this size ....

Alot has been said about Yakupov and his style of play. He's not all that physical, and it's not a huge part of his success. He doesn't play like Ovechkin in that he goes out to destroy people with his speed nor does he bully his way around people. People say that he's physical in the sense that he uses his frame effectively in the corners and uses his strong and low center of gravity to his advantage.

It isn't a factor for Kane, and that same elusiveness shiftiness will be how Yakupov will play. A smaller version of Datsyuk combined with Ovechkin's shot and passion is pretty scary when you think about it.

Alot has been said about Yakupov and his style of play. He's not all that physical, and it's not a huge part of his success. He doesn't play like Ovechkin in that he goes out to destroy people with his speed nor does he bully his way around people. People say that he's physical in the sense that he uses his frame effectively in the corners and uses his strong and low center of gravity to his advantage.

It isn't a factor for Kane, and that same elusiveness shiftiness will be how Yakupov will play. A smaller version of Datsyuk combined with Ovechkin's shot and passion is pretty scary when you think about it.

well I was talking about hits, but if he really does play like Datsyuk , then he won't be a huge hit machine , I guess we agree on that, he will just use his strength to play in the corners etc...

Anyways I like your description alot and if he turns out to be a Datsyuk style combined with Ovie's shot he's gonna be very exciting to watch !!!

( especially if it's the old Ovie shot cause right now he's not really on fire lol )

What sounds the most exciting though by far is the comparision with Datsyuk who is , to me , the best player in the league with Sid

Archived