The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Captains in NHL history

VanNuck

I think captaincy is overrated. Sure there are weak and strong leaders, but championships usually boil down to skill level of the teams, I mean, Semenko could have captained the Oilers and they would have still won cups. am I right or..?

And those Montreal dynasties were absolutely stacked, there is no way to deny it..

NO WAY!!!!

(I'm a little cheesed cuz I got stitches from a soccer collision tonight, It's gonna cost me time and $$$)

I think captaincy is overrated. Sure there are weak and strong leaders, but championships usually boil down to skill level of the teams, I mean, Semenko could have captained the Oilers and they would have still won cups. am I right or..?

And those Montreal dynasties were absolutely stacked, there is no way to deny it..

NO WAY!!!!

(I'm a little cheesed cuz I got stitches from a soccer collision tonight, It's gonna cost me time and $$$)

<br /><br /><br />

Good point. And yes, I agree, if Gretzky isn't the number one guy, then it's Beliveau, with Gretzky at #2. But again, the main reason why Gretzky is great, is because of his leadership. His Oilers were a virtual powerhouse, and his Kings came alive when he arrived. His teammates did rally around him and get inspired, but you don't see it so much because he is a quiet guy compared to the charismatic Beliveau. But he is also a steady personality that doesn't blink when things go wrong, but for that matter, so is Beliveau.

Technically, it was Richard who captained the last four of the five consecutive Cups but Beliveau was a leader on that team too. He did win five more cups when he became captain, which Gretzky didn't do.

<br />It's hard for me to accept Messier as a top 10 leader due to the state he left the Canucks in after his.... horrendous leadership here. Not to mention his forcing of the unretirement of #11 still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.<br /><br />But he is a great leader, vancouver aside, there's no doubt<br /><br />Honorable mentions to Linden, Modano off the top of my head.<br />

<br />Yzerman was actually inspired by Bryan Trottier, who was his favourite player, that is the reason Yzerman wore #19.  Gretzky himself admits that when someone needed to light a fire under the team it was Messier who did it, either with a lashing out in the dressing room, a big goal or devestating hit (or elbow, or high stick).  I personally don't think Gretzky belongs at the top of the list, there are plenty of stronger leaders than him.<br />

<br />I think captaincy is overrated. Sure there are weak and strong leaders, but championships usually boil down to skill level of the teams, I mean, Semenko could have captained the Oilers and they would have still won cups. am I right or..?<br />And those Montreal dynasties were absolutely stacked, there is no way to deny it..<br />NO WAY!!!!<br />(I'm a little cheesed cuz I got stitches from a soccer collision tonight, It's gonna cost me time and $$$)<br />

<br />Not exactly sure where I called him a weak leader, just said there were plenty of stronger ones.  Trottier was not a captain (Denis Potvin was) but still a great leader.<br /><br />Dave Poulin, Darryl Sittler, Dave Keon, Alex Delvecchio, Stan Mikita<br />

• 1 year later...

Who saw THN's list of captains? I saw it once, and chuckled how closely my list was with theirs, although I was miffed they put Messier higher than Gretzky - relieved he wasn't #1 though.

I was half-surprised they put Howe up there at #3, right ahead of Gretzky - the main reason I wouldn't put him so high was because he never actually won the Cup when wearing the 'C,' but he was still was every inch a leader, in effect a co-captain along with Lindsay and Abel, both of whom also made the list.

The list, as far as I can recall goes something like this (I can only recall the top six in order):

Beliveau

Messier

Howe

Gretzky

Lemieux

Yzerman

Sakic

Bourque

Esposito

Clarke

Orr

Potvin

Apps

Richard

Armstrong

Neidermayer

Stevens

Crosby

Iginla

• 2 months later...

I think Gretzky gets underrated as a captain because he was so skilled. Maybe he wasn't the type of guy that would give a big inspirational speech but he was a great teammate. One thing that is always said about him is that he made every player feel like they were the most important guy on the team. He made sure everyone checked their ego at the door. He had time for every person on the team...that even included the team staff.

...and in the end, the 80s Oilers had five other future HOFers on it and he lead all of them onto the ice every night.

Gordie Howe's worth mentioning. He was captain of the wings for a number of years, but considering the caliber of his play, it's rather surprising he was captain for only a few years.

Archived