The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

thanks a lot man. the idea with starting the band was to kinda merge that psychedelic pop of stuff like Revolver and Rubber soul and Pet Sounds, with the kind of simplistic garage rock thing that bands like the white stripes do.

there are only two of us, which is kinda limiting, but we get a pretty big sound. he plays a fender jaguar and splits the signal between a fender super reberb amp and another amp so the guitar sound is huge. i have a synth that i play small bass parts and organ parts on while i drum, kind of like how the drummer in my brother's band does:

The Sheepdogs

Tight album. Great 70's throwback band from Sask. It's an old style, but really their stuff is a breath of fresh air from some of the dreary stuff coming out this year.

70's classic rock still holds up for a good reason. It's freakin' awesome. Get up and move, not get up and hang yourself.

Also looking into dubstep bands. That stuff has some potential, but nobody's really taken the bull by the horns yet. Current music is so vast though, that you shouldn't / can't be nailed down to just one thing. I try to be as open as i can, but if the stuff puts me to sleep, i'll probably label it as 'forgettable.' A lot of forgettable releases this year.

animal collective was a good show. the set and lighting were awesome, avey and panda both sung incredibly well, and watching panda drum made me so happy haha. he had a full drum kit which was cool to watch.

the crowd was pretty subdued and thin though, my friend and i lost track of time and showed up pretty late, but were able to march right up against the gate at the front. the best moments were probably peacebone, moonjock, my girls and brothersport.

animal collective was a good show. the set and lighting were awesome, avey and panda both sung incredibly well, and watching panda drum made me so happy haha. he had a full drum kit which was cool to watch.

the crowd was pretty subdued and thin though, my friend and i lost track of time and showed up pretty late, but were able to march right up against the gate at the front. the best moments were probably peacebone, moonjock, my girls and brothersport.

arguably the most influential punk band in the last 20 years have released a new record .

NOFX's new album SELF/ENTITLED is brilliant .

as usual Fat mike writes about politics and religion .

they have retreated dack to that hardcore sound they know so well , though i miss some of the harmonies that have usually been a part of their sound since El Hefe joined the band back in 1992 .

this track is called 72 hookers , a pisstake on the 72 virgins that the suicide bombers are promised

arguably the most influential punk band in the last 20 years have released a new record .

NOFX's new album SELF/ENTITLED is brilliant .

as usual Fat mike writes about politics and religion .

they have retreated dack to that hardcore sound they know so well , though i miss some of the harmonies that have usually been a part of their sound since El Hefe joined the band back in 1992 .

this track is called 72 hookers , a pisstake on the 72 virgins that the suicide bombers are promised

I actually downloaded that album the other day, because I used to listen to NOFX when I was a kid and into skateboarding and all that

Definitely didn't do anything for me. I appreciated that stuff as a kid, but to hear them doing the exact same thing, 20 years later, it seems to lack the edge for me.

On the bright side, it encouraged me to listen to some old Op Ivy, Black Flag, and Adolescents stuff... which is still awesome, for the right mood.

Archived