The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Talk

Bilbro Baggins

I hope Kassian has some thick skin because the guy is going to be getting all sorts of criticism this summer if the Canucks can't come back to win the LA series (which is obviously the most likely scenario - not saying it can't happen though).

From the day the Canucks got Kassian, I liked the acquisition but I figured that it would VERY difficult for him to have a positive legacy with the Canucks unless the Canucks went deep in the playoffs and ideally won the Cup.

Everyone in Vancouver loved CoHo. He obviously has flaws in his game (who doesn't?) and maybe behind the scenes he whined about playing time but he was producing points (albeit in protected minutes) and was really settling in to the NHL.

Kassian needs more seasoning in the AHL and to thrust the responsibility of being the "size" that the Canucks need is too much responsibility to place on him right now.

I think Kassian will turn out to be a decent NHL powerforward, maybe more of a Ryan Malone type than a Bertuzzi. But will he be the type of guy that everyone wanted him to be - an impact powerforward a la Milan Lucic? I don't see it. Ryan Malone-esque would be good but that will never be good enough for Canucks fans. His legacy will be even more bitter (undeservedly) if the Canucks make an early exit this year.

Of course, I hope that I'm wrong so let's see how the next week plays out and, for Kassian, how the next few years go as well.

He wasn't included on the Wolves' clear day roster, so he should be ineligible to join them.

there are a million and a half ways around that clear day roster

players last game that were not on the clear day roster:

Corrado, Frank

Davies, Michael

Matson, Taylor

Clackson, Matt

Roussel, Antoine

Jensen, Nicklas

there are a million and a half ways around that clear day roster

players last game that were not on the clear day roster:

Corrado, Frank

Davies, Michael

Matson, Taylor

Clackson, Matt

Roussel, Antoine

Jensen, Nicklas

No doubt that's true, but unfortunately it doesn't apply to Kassian here. There's a provision in the rules that allows for college and junior prospects to join the AHL team after their season ends though, but ZK doesn't fit in that category. They never sent him down in a paper transaction 'cos they thought the Canucks would outlast the Wolves... how ironic.

No doubt that's true, but unfortunately it doesn't apply to Kassian here. There's a provision in the rules that allows for college and junior prospects to join the AHL team after their season ends though, but ZK doesn't fit in that category. They never sent him down in a paper transaction 'cos they thought the Canucks would outlast the Wolves... how ironic.

Are you 100% sure on that? It seems rather dumb for the NHL not to allow prospects on entry level contracts to develop in the AHL playoffs once their NHL playoffs are over. Isn't that what the AHL is? The NHL's official developmental league?

Have you read all the provisions regarding the exceptions to the clear day roster rule?

Are you 100% sure on that? It seems rather dumb for the NHL not to allow prospects on entry level contracts to develop in the AHL playoffs once their NHL playoffs are over. Isn't that what the AHL is? The NHL's official developmental league?

Have you read all the provisions regarding the exceptions to the clear day roster rule?

There's this one:

Each Clear Day roster consists of a maximum of 22 players. According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the 2011-12 AHL regular season and in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.

Teams may also add signed draft choices and players signed to amateur tryout contracts, provided that their respective junior or college seasons are complete.

If it turns out that there's some secret clause somewhere that renders this moot, then disregard as I haven't been able to find anything more on this even in the AHL rulebook itself. It sucks, but I'm pretty sure this covers all the eligible cases.

Probably the only clause that covers this in the CBA is Article 13.12:

(j) A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this period only the Player or Players who have been Recalled during such restricted period under Article 13.12(l) or 13.12(m) may be Loaned back to the member club of the affiliated league from which they were Recalled.

(k) A Player who has been Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL may be Recalled at any time subject to the provisions of Articles 13.12(l) and 13.12(m).

Clauses (l) and (m):

(l) During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that:

(i) A Club may exercise four Recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.

(ii) Players may be Recalled under Article 13.12(m).

(iii) Players may be Recalled upon completion of the regular season and playoff schedule of the club to which they were Loaned.

(m) Emergency Recall.

(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League may be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the emergency only following which

he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was Recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the

level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of

the League upon request made by him.

(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency conditions at any time, to support the Recall of a Player for participation in any Playoff Game, it shall be deemed that the Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last day of the

Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been eliminated from further play for the season.

If anyone can find anything else, it'd be much appreciated. I'm no expert but I found all this just from looking in the CBA.

The beauty of Kassian is that hes a year younger, yes hodgson is future captain material, but you cant compare these guys.

More compareable prospects are schroeder and him as they were drafted the same year, and readiness is a year or so behind hodgson. Yes Kassian and schroeder are nothing a like in the physical sense. Kassian is bigger and more physical, schroeder smaller with more finesse.

The great thing about kassian is that because of his size and physical play, with his offensive talent put on hold, he can play in the nhl next year as our 4th/3rd line winger and develop his game without the pressure for more offense a player like hodgson or schroeder would have. He can make his way up the lineup like kesler did.

“There clearly were issues that were ongoing and I spent more time on Cody’s issues than all our players combined over the last three years,” said Gillis. “We made a determination that he didn’t want to be here, built him into something that we could move. There were six young players on other teams that I would have traded him for if any of them were ever made available. One was made available at the trade deadline – it was Zack. Zack is a commodity that is impossible to get if we develop him and make him into the player we think he can be."

“There are five [other] players that I think are the equivalent and you cannot get them — in free agency or in a trade. It’s really up to us and I think Zack is going to be a more influential player for us moving forward.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+work+progress+Kassian+aims+leap+development+this+offseason/6512812/story.html#ixzz1t4sy1oCa

Who do you think Gillis' five equivalents are?

Here's my five:

1. Scott Hartnell

2. Milan Lucic

3. Ryane Clowe

4. Andrew Ladd

5. David Backes

Honorable mention: Shane Doan & Brenden Morrow.

Hey guys I own a restaurant in Woodbidge, ON, same town where Mark Cundari was born. The same Mark Cundari that plays for the Peoria Rivermen(St Louis blues AHL affiliate). I had a chance to speak with Mark yesterday as he is home now in the off season. Mark had the privelege to play on 2 Windsor Spitfire Memorial cup winners in 2009, and 2010 season. He also played with Zack Kassian, Taylor Hall etc while he was in that organization. He has nothing but great things to say about Zack. I had told him I was happy that the Canucks aquired him and am excited to see what he can develop into. Mark says that he is a team player, works hard, and fits the power forward type player to a tee. He also mentioned that this guy will be a great player at the NHL level one day b/c he has all the credentials such as speed, skill, and physicality. But above all he has a great attitude and commitment to get better. He has shown us that he can be a force at the AHL level, now he just needs to turn it up a notch and I believe that he will with a full summer of training ahead of him.

Hey guys I own a restaurant in Woodbidge, ON, same town where Mark Cundari was born. The same Mark Cundari that plays for the Peoria Rivermen(St Louis blues AHL affiliate). I had a chance to speak with Mark yesterday as he is home now in the off season. Mark had the privelege to play on 2 Windsor Spitfire Memorial cup winners in 2009, and 2010 season. He also played with Zack Kassian, Taylor Hall etc while he was in that organization. He has nothing but great things to say about Zack. I had told him I was happy that the Canucks aquired him and am excited to see what he can develop into. Mark says that he is a team player, works hard, and fits the power forward type player to a tee. He also mentioned that this guy will be a great player at the NHL level one day b/c he has all the credentials such as speed, skill, and physicality. But above all he has a great attitude and commitment to get better. He has shown us that he can be a force at the AHL level, now he just needs to turn it up a notch and I believe that he will with a full summer of training ahead of him.

Nice, thanks for sharing! We were all shocked to see Hodgson gone but it's great to know that Kassian has the same drive and determination to get better. That's very reassuring from a fan's point of view. Here's to a great summer of training for him and we see him establish himself in the lineup, and score some goalsssss.

This gives me alot of hope. If Kassian trains as hard as he says he's going too... I'm excited. Hopefully he can get a scary wrister or slapper and with his size, he can just make room for himself... lookin' forward to the future

This gives me alot of hope. If Kassian trains as hard as he says he's going too... I'm excited. Hopefully he can get a scary wrister or slapper and with his size, he can just make room for himself... lookin' forward to the future

People used to say that Kesler had a muffin of a wrist shot, hands of stone and that he'd never score 20 in the NHL. What's he at right now, five consecutive 20g seasons?

Anyone can work on their shot.

People used to say that Kesler had a muffin of a wrist shot, hands of stone and that he'd never score 20 in the NHL. What's he at right now, five consecutive 20g seasons?

Anyone can work on their shot.

maybe i should have 500 pucks shipped to him this offseason.

maybe i should have 500 pucks shipped to him this offseason.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any proposals for Luongo and Ballard to get shipped out in return for enough pucks for both Kesler and Kassian to shoot in the offseason.

Well, I say, Hodgson has a better opportunity as a Sabre. Kassian certainly has a somewhat good opportunity in Vancouver, an opportunity to venture into the postseason.

It boils down to the following:

Enjoying more ice time in a team not going into postseason vs. Enjoying 4th-line and less ice time in a team going into postseason .

Archived