The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Angry Nhl Clubs Ganging Up On Hnic, Cbc

Tystick

Hold on,

Center Ice blacks out local teams games when the leafs are playing? Is this just a Saturday HNIC thing, or does it occur every time one of Ott/Mtl share a timeslot with Toronto regardless of day and network?

I thought it was bad enough, yet understandable, when local Canucks games would be blacked out on CI when a game was PPV on Canucks TV years back, but blacking out to assist ratings in a nationally televised game...

That is horseshot. I'm pissed for you.

I wouldn't miss HNIC if it were gone. Yes its a Canadian classic and has been around forever, however their broadcast teams are dreadful and Ron and Don just make me want to turn off the TV. Maybe they can come back later when they refresh their talent or something but I think its time for them to take a time out.

much in same way its unfair to group Fox(the simpsons etc.) with Foxnews in the united states(the former being the cultural antithesis of the latter) such comparisons are just as unfair with the CBC and HNIC, if you have a problem with HNIC take it up with HNIC. If you have an issue with a L'oreal product would you be naming Nestle in your arguments(parent company)? not unless you had a reason to undermine nestle.

when arguments are framed against the CBC, specifically, instead of just HNIC, bias becomes an issue. its a little ironic that these issues are being brought up by a team owned by the CBC's competitors(rogers and bell own 75% of the leafs now) coincidentally bell also owns a 15% stake in the paper this was printed in. this is something that can't be ignored. what these companies want is a monopoly on all media in this country and right now the only thing standing in their way is the CBC. they already control the access points for TV and internet, now they want control of the content on that media, and they've elected a party that will strangle the CBC's funds. and in the end if they get their way we'll all get bent over and reamed out by them.

do you enjoy the current telecom situation in this country? we we've got 3 massive companies that collude and then gouge you by offering what is essentially the exact same services for the exact same prices, coincidentally at 2-3 times that of the US. now picture that in hockey and broadcasting. its just so fitting that the 2 of the 3 companies that do this are bell and rogers. and now they want to do the same to hockey.

competition is what makes the capitalist economic model work; monopolies are what collapse it. historically communism was born out of the strife caused by them. the only reason TSN is as good as it is is because it has to compete, if we lose the HNIC, we will in effect lose what makes TSN great.

HNIC is the CBC's biggest cash cow, enabling them to air precious and important canadian content that helps to shape our national identity and where canadian stars are given the opportunity to succeed domestically. the other networks don't do that anymore.

now that the CBC issue is out of the way, I completely agree that HNIC needs a shake up. ron and don have got to go, as does milbury, bring in some youth and some recently retired players. its time for the HNIC to experiment with new hosts and formats, however i wouldn't expect the toronto centric nature of the program to change all that much, because thats just demographics. toronto has more than 2x the pop we do, 3x ottawa. only, i hope the subsidy is adequate for them to complete such a transition, for if they fail to do we'll all lose.

MIght as well end the show. It's not like we cbc will die without it. The main theme is the game itself. It's like any of us are watching. They are entitled to their opponion, however it's getting tiring, when he's going on rambling about the Leafs. Majority of the people who watch it, are not Leafs fans. Europeans are great players. For all I know, Kesler will be god like if he was from Canada.

That's awesome news. I hate how self centered that old bag Cherry is. He always goes on about 'his buddy' and how 'he' told them what to do to get better. It's always cause of 'his advice' people are getting better, blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah - like stfu already.

He thinks he knows more than organizations themselves, is always ready to start a fight without realizing that he is on a very popular channel in Canada, and he has the attitude of a sore winner. Never lets Ron talk, mofo thinks he's a iconic figure world wide, and he thinks he's the God of hockey - give it a break.

Yea Cherry is. Good guy and all, he gives good advice, does good stuff, and helps communities, but the guy thinks he's a 1 man show and knows it all; never wrong - again, like stfu lol: he cant pronounce half the players names that he talks about, and yet he says he's great buddies with them - pretty sure if you were great buddies, you'd know how to say your 'buddies' name mr don berry.

....he's a good guy, but does stupid things. Cut it out don, don't think that your a king.

A million times better IMO. Better analysts, better pbp and colour commentators, more credible panel, better intermission features, and far less bias than HNIC.

CBC HNIC may be branded as a Canadian tradition but that's the only card they have to play. Traditions can change and I personally would embrace TSN HNIC with open arms

Don Cherry is an icon but some of us watch that show not to have to hear about his personal vendettas and barbaric views. We want unbiased opinions about what is going on in the NHL. No one better to provide that view than Bob McKenzie IMO

I think a lot of the bias is showing through because the Canucks have become very successful, and everyone at HNIC is wondering "why can't that be the Leafs?" Why is the city that is barely "Canadian" getting all the success and attention?

"It should be the Leafs dammit!" is something I bet is said more than a few times a year in the HNIC offices.

TIP** if you have a PVR, you can pause a few seconds and sync it with internet/radio voiceover

forget Ron and Don - I love John and John

the CBC sold their song

and it's not like they have replacement parts for the Ron and Don's sideshow either

I agree with Shift4 - there is literally nothing enjoyable about HNIC other than the hockey itself

and it is not just dodo's corner - which remarkably, seems to have gotten even more insular and arrogant - and has lost even their own internal dynamic of banter/back and forth - Ron has become embarrasssingly deferential to Don

but PJ Stock? I don't want to listen to PJ Stock any more than I do Ron and Don.

not to mention how terrible Mark Lee's screaming pbp is...

complete mute-out of the CBC for me thanks

I'm going to have to disagree, M.O.

Coach's Corner airs between the first and second periods of the early Saturday night game. Now, I don't know what the exact numbers are, but I'd hazard a guess that over 90% of those games feature the Leafs.

Since the Toronto viewing audience is roughly three times that of Vancouver or Montreal, I believe that Ron and Don are actually preaching to the choir in their segment on HNIC.....

Archived