The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Luongo Vs Trading Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

So, as I thumb my way through the numerous trade proposals, I started wondering who would be greater in trade Lui or Cory? So my question is just that . If you were MG and "could" trade either one, which one would bring you the most? And What would it be?

Please remember I said "could".

Just for the record, I think Cory is worth 2- 1st or a 1st and a great prospect, etc, and I really don't have a really good grasp on what Lui is worth. Probably, due to his age, and recent history, about the same as Cory's. But that is just my confused opinion.

Note* If you look at Lui's stats they are crazy good over the past 6 years, but Cory's younger and has some great stats himself, albeit over a shorter time.

It'd be in the Canucks best interest to try and drop Luongo in the summer over Schneider but there's a fat chance of that happening.

Their value is probably about the same...Luongo is more proven but has the big contract.

I was also thinking of this just earlier today, no lie. I would say that Schneider's value would be as high if not higher than Luo's, simply because of his age and his salary. In any league with a Cap like the NHL, young players on cheap contracts, especially ones with such amazing potential, are worth their weight in Gold. It isn't to say that Schneider is better than Luongo, however.

I'd say value is similar, but schneider has slightly more due to his upside. Although Cory is unproven as a starter, he has been very good last year and this year in pretty much every game he's played. He also has a new contract up for renewal which is going to be cheaper than Lu's and less committing in the number of years making his value I think a bit better. He also has more years ahead of him and won't retire or decline as soon as Lu

Luongo is more valuable - I've re-watched Game 7 against CHI, his shutouts against the Bs, and I watched him make big stops during the gold medal game. He has proven game-stealing abilities and the goaltending position is unique in which some goalies have their best years in their later years (Hasek/Thomas for example). This message board totally bashes the BEST GOALIE we've ever had in this franchise's history. The nights we get lit up, the team in front of him just doesn't battle anywhere near their capabilities and they hang him out to dry.

While I love having Cory Schneider on this team, he is a more attractive option to teams who are in need for younger franchise goalies (Edmonton/Tampa/NYI/NJ) and his contract allows for more flexibility. Luongo's contract is actually a lot better than people give it credit for - it was front loaded at a reasonable cap hit ($5.3M) meaning the cheapest years are at the tail end of the contract. For rebuilding teams, or teams needing to hit the cap floor this would be VERY attractive to an owner and GM.

OK Posters Please read this, I am not saying trade either goalie, I am asking for their value in a trade. In players or picks. ( PS, I am not saying trade all goalie either! LOL ) I have just read enough comments from Lui bashers and Schneirder underestimaters, that I was actually just wondering what was what. The same question could be asked about any player/players in the NHL ( and does regularly)

I think there will be a higher chance Luongo would wave his no-trade if Canucks won the cup this season if the Canucks organization do ask him to wave it. However if we don't win the cup, I don't think he'll be willing to go elsewhere since we're still going to be strong contenders for the next couple to few years and you can tell Luongo wants to win.

I think moving Luongo would be the better option (assuming he accepts a trade). There's a risk in keeping Luongo for the future, he's already arguably somewhat inconsistent at times, known for allowing some weak goals here and there (not bashing him). If he starts going on a decline any time soon, his value would drop significantly and would be nearly impossible to move his contract out.

If we were to move him this off-season, I think we'd still get a good return. He still has years left in him and would be a goaltender some teams would want. Maybe there will be teams like Florida that need to reach the cap floor and needing a goalie would take Luongo, like people thought Campbell was impossible to move with his cap-hit but Florida took him and he's making an impact with them.

If we do trade Luongo, I think we could re-sign Schneider to a 3 or 4 year contract ranging from 3 to 3.5M per. That seems like a reasonable contract length and price for Schneider. I just hope Gillis' stays away from really long-term contracts like Luongo's in the future.

I find Schneider has such good positioning on the type of goals Luongo let's in where he flops and covers no area of the net because he's so aggressive.

Schneider on the other hand will stay between the puck and the goal line and keep it out. He doesn't falter just keeps his positioning and stops the puck.

As well Luongo's 5 million would be better spent on Shea Weber

Archived