The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

Honestly? The Rangers & Canucks make the most sense to me and NYR seem like the best fit to me. He gets to play with MacDonagh, the Rags were conference finalists and they will be in a better position to trade Dubinsky, Del Zotto, Kreider & a pick if Schultz signs there.

You think Edmonton would pick another dynamic forward when they already have Hall, RNH, Eberle and now Yakupov?  They had a difficult enough time choosing Nail over Ryan Murray this time around, let alone next year.

Edit:  Actually, such a bad decision wouldn't surprise me at all lol.

Honestly you have no logic. The canucks have Joseph LaBate who he played at Wisc. with, he's a noted canucks fan and his parents are even season ticket holders. He has an opportunity to play in the top-4 right away and win a cup here.

I mean really, you're a canucks fan, you have an opportunity to go home, play for your favourite team in-front of your family and challenge for a cup. Can NYR offer that? No, besides, who the hell wants to play for Torts?

Edmonton and Vancouver are the only teams that have a chance imo.

I think it'd be great if he signed here, but the real question is how much will he get to play. We all know that some rookies have been screwed in the ass by AV, and I mean if I were a young gun, I'd go for a team with 1) a coach that gives young players decent icetime and 2) a team with other budding players.

Don't get me wrong though.. I would love to have him on the team. Who knows, AV could be different this year....

Honestly you have no logic. The canucks have Joseph LaBate who he played at Wisc. with, he's a noted canucks fan and his parents are even season ticket holders. He has an opportunity to play in the top-4 right away and win a cup here.

I mean really, you're a canucks fan, you have an opportunity to go home, play for your favourite team in-front of your family and challenge for a cup. Can NYR offer that? No, besides, who the hell wants to play for Torts?

Edmonton and Vancouver are the only teams that have a chance imo.

The taxes are lower in Alberta than say Ontario or Quebec. So, I imagine His Agent will point this out to Him. If He gets the same money from say the Leafs and the Oilers then His take home is higher in Alberta. B.C. will also have an NDP Government too next Year and they might raise taxes on very high income People? Also, many People in the Okanagan feel closer to Alberta than Vancouver. I can see Him going to Edmonton over Vancouver.

The taxes are lower in Alberta than say Ontario or Quebec. So, I imagine His Agent will point this out to Him. If He gets the same money from say the Leafs and the Oilers then His take home is higher in Alberta. B.C. will also have an NDP Government too next Year and they might raise taxes on very high income People? Also, many People in the Okanagan feel closer to Alberta than Vancouver. I can see Him going to Edmonton over Vancouver.

As a Human being I would want to be in Vancouver, I honestly believe my life quality would be better but as a Hockey player I am going to edmonton. A storied franchise that is looking for that missing piece, a D-Man. To come in and fill that roll is a once in a lifetime opportunity, Edmonton is going to win a cup wether it's 5 years or 10 a cup is going to Edmonton. I would rather grow up with a team than get thrown into the mix on a team with "win now" expectations. Just my 2 cents.

New at this but i just want to address the cap implications of signing Schultz. There is a bidding war so there is no way he is signing for 900k as i have seen some suggest. He will get close the max for a rookie, which is about $3.8 cap hit (like Nugent-Hopkins, similar to Landeskog). Now that is a lot more than Edler for example, and close to hamhuis and bieksa. This may be why Detroit has abandonned, they just don't pay that kind of money to players who have not played one game in the NHL. So, maybe good value, but let's be straight about what the cost will be.

Archived