The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Western Conference Team Is The Scariest Come Playoff Time?

Sugar baby watermelon

Whoever we play in the 1st round. Taking them too lightly could be the undoing. Be it Chicago or any one else, I shudder at the thought of having to rely on a lucky bounce off a stanchion in Game 7 OT to advance from round 1. Even more so going in with a team that isn't firing on all cylinders and choking the stick atm.

Stiffer competition this year for sure. Detroit, Nashville and St. Louis, imo, would be the toughest.

Dallas could be a team that might pull an upset over us, but I will wait to see the other two games we have against them.

I'm not worried about the Hawks this year.....poor goaltending, imo, plus,the way Chicago defense has been playing the last couple of months, and games here and there throughtout the season really, just not the same team.

It is hard to tell...........mainly because we have hardly ever engaged higher than 2nd gear so far this season. When we did we silenced Boston and ended Detroit's record run.............both away from home.

Frankly, I don't fear any of the other teams. I only fear whether we can now consistently play to the high tempo we have occasionally shown and the spectre of bad injury.

I am not being disrespectful here but I go back to the format of the competition. It may be admirable to beat us once (in truth, often against the run of play) but doing it 4 out of 7 is going to be something out of the reach of most of these teams.

Detroit and the Preds will be difficult and StL will be a challenge but I maintain we ARE better prepared, deeper, and more experienced. Our team is probably still hurting that they failed, in all probability, because of injury last year and that will be a great motivator when the "Big Show" gets underway.

Assuming we bring our A-game, I'm sure we can knock off all the west. It's bringing our A-game that's the scary thought. Hopefully the line shack up will shake everyone out of their slumps if not on Wednesday, then for sure on Saturday.

When we bring our A game. Only a question of when. The Sedins aren't going to just drop off the map because of their mini slump. Keep the AMEX line together & we have two solid O lines to roll at you. The third line is a ''checking'' line but have you seen some of the scoring ops they have had recently, this line might surprise come playoff time. When the Canucks start clicking on all fronts, all other Western teams better beware. Lou & Schneids have been holding down the fort, when Lou has a bad game, 100 threads come up asking to trade or bench him. Now it is our O that has stalled, our team just needs to get back to basics and not overthink. Now is better than any other time to tinker here and there before we hit the playoffs running.

cmon people , radulov has an all time high in goals in 07 -08 that matches raymond

and couldnt even put up more goals then that in the KHL?

and yet he turns nashville into some all star team

such a joke / fantasy nashville fans are living in

to hear bob mackenzie say it turns them into a front runner for the cup was laughable

Detroit and Nashville.

Great goaltending and depth at both forward and defense are necessary to beat the Canucks.

The Canucks have a wealth of speed and skill at every position. Accordingly, we are going to take advantage of mistakes and create scoring opportunities. Great goaltending is needed to mitigate that. Also, depth helps to minimize our match-up advantages and limit mistakes.

Depth is also important because the Canucks have it in spades. If a team doesn't have a strong bottom-6, that team will either have to overplay its top dudes or frequently be at mismatch. Also, the Canucks currently have questionable depth at D, so a team with a dangerous bottom-6 is wise to put pressure on it.

Anyhow, Detroit and Nashville currently have great depth at both forward and D. And Rinne and Howard have had tremendous seasons.

cmon people , radulov has an all time high in goals in 07 -08 that matches raymond and couldnt even put up more goals then that in the KHL? and yet he turns nashville into some all star team such a joke / fantasy nashville fans are living in to hear bob mackenzie say it turns them into a front runner for the cup was laughable

I don't think any of them are "scary" one must play and beat the best to be the best. I think the Canucks can beat any team in the West in a 7 game series if they bring their A game.

The biggest challenges I think will be:

Nashville

St. Louis

Detroit

There is a reason all these teams are in the top of the standings.

I think the Canucks have Chicago's number now and have the size to wear down their D in a long series.

Dallas could be a darkhorse challenge but I base that off of the regular season games so far as Dallas was/is fighting for life while the Canucks seemed disinterested would definately change in the playoffs.

LA & SJS may miss altogether but do look great on paper

Calgary I think would be the easiest for the Canucks to beat but I would be so distraught if they actually lost in the first round to them lol

Phoenix is a team I can see making some noise as well these playoffs.

Colorado would be entertaining but I think they are built much like the Blues of 2 years ago.

People are forgetting about LA, if they can put it together, they can pull a huge upset on any of the top teams. Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Brown, Stoll, Williams, Penner, Gagner; all guys who are capable of playing a top 6 role. Their defense isn't as strong as years before though.

Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Detroit, San Jose, Phoenix, and Dallas look like theyre the ones who are gonna make it to the playoffs though.

Archived