The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Are People Acting Like St Louis Has Won The West?

Dun Caesar

You're right, until it is statistically proven that the Blues have won the division, then the Canucks are not out of it. That said, anyone who has watched a Canucks game in the last 3 weeks would say that there is a lot be concerned about; and that they don't have a chance at catching the Blues.

I'm definitely not one to jump off the bandwagon or get overly concerned every time the Canucks have a rough patch; however, this is now a full fledged problem.

Before, it was a popular belief that the Canucks needed more toughness to win the cup, a sentiment I did not share, nor still believe was needed after the addition of Booth; they just needed there current players to stick up for themselves and their teammates more. "But we need someone to stick up to Marchand, and, and, and, and." Hockey players are generally pretty tough, and the Canucks lineup was plenty strong enough. The issue has turned into the Sedin's in a massive funk going into the playoffs.

It's not that the Canucks are not a good team, they are. Other people also say (media in Vancouver) also say, "Look at the other teams who were favoured to make the finals. Boston is M.I.A., Detroit is playing poorly, the Rangers have posted a particularly mediocre record as of late." This argument means nothing. Going into the playoffs last year, the two hottest teams at the time went the furthest. That seems to be the case again, just like it usually is. Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and a hot Washington team will be the teams to watch in the East, while Nashville, St. Louis, and a surging Dallas team will come out top on the West. I hate to say it, but the hottest teams going into the playoffs more often than not make it to the finals. Unless the Canucks turn it around now, they'll be out of it.

They have played 2 more games than us, and are up 6 points. I think I even heard Mike Keenan say this morning on Sportsnet, "well now that Vancouver knows they can't catch St Louis.............." Um what? I know they are in first, but seriously? We have NO CHANCE OF CATCHING an average team who has somehow been on fire recently? SMH.

Well, even if we do catch up with the two games in hand and end up 2 points behind St Louis, making up 2 points this late in the season is not an easy feat.

Yes, you're right, it is possible that the Canucks will catch up. Should we actually expect them to? Wellll.. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Besides, it doesn't matter anyways. It's not like anyone is going around saying the Canucks are worse than St Louis, just that they are likely going into the playoffs at a lower seed. Big deal. Only difference it makes is who plays who in the first round, really.

... is anyone else bored to tears at the thought of a St. Louis/Nashville matchup?

Could care less if we win the west or not. That's not the goal.

Andy Mac went down. Week-to-week. Never really sold on StL because they're burning themselves out in March to win regular season accolades. That and they have a lot of brittle players like Andy Mac. Their depth will be tested when every team works as hard as they are now, like, in the playoffs. Cheers.

TOML

well if we play like we have the past few games, then yeah we have no chance. If we step it up then we should/could be able to catch them. IMO i dont care if we catch them. I dont care if we win the presidents trophy this year, i just want the dam cup!!!!

St Louis is hot, Vancouver is slumping. We CAN catch them but we won't. Who cares anyways? Look what winning the President's trophy got us last year? Squat. Get into the playoffs, get a decent seed (2nd) and fight to the top, who cares where they finish as long as they're in the playoffs lol.

Well, even if we do catch up with the two games in hand and end up 2 points behind St Louis, making up 2 points this late in the season is not an easy feat.

Yes, you're right, it is possible that the Canucks will catch up. Should we actually expect them to? Wellll.. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Besides, it doesn't matter anyways. It's not like anyone is going around saying the Canucks are worse than St Louis, just that they are likely going into the playoffs at a lower seed. Big deal. Only difference it makes is who plays who in the first round, really.

... is anyone else bored to tears at the thought of a St. Louis/Nashville matchup?

i dont even care how we finish in the reg season as long as we do well in the playoffs.. st louis is a great team and you shouldnt underrate them like you are OP. although i agreee with you that cathcing them is def not out of the question. like u said we are onle 6 pts back.

Not that the boys would intentionally not want to finish first...but they've already been there and bought the T-shirt. Yeah maybe the extra home games would be nice, but finishing 2nd or even 3rd in the conference means the spotlight isn't shining as bright on them heading into these playoffs...and that might be a good thing.

Archived