The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Are People Acting Like St Louis Has Won The West?

Dun Caesar

It's definitely not impossible for the Canucks to catch St, Louis. I just don't think they will.

Make no mistake. St. Louis is a good team. They were my sleeper team from the beginning of the season. However, like New York in the East, I think they are overachieving. They have been getting by pretty much on a choking defensive system and near-flawless goaltending the entire season. If the goalies crack, the whole team will crash.

Same with the Rangers. I've watched them play. They're not dominant. They're good but not incredible. They play a simple defensive system as well. If Lundqvist isn't brilliant all season, they're not first in the East.

Guest The Brown Burrows

St. Louis is on a role and are not showing any signs of slowing down. The Canucks are still struggling to win games.

/thread.

Uhm, St Louis is more than an average team.

Backes, Reaves, Stewart, also Arnott & Langenbruner = size, power & speed we cannot match, not even mentioning Oshie who has that in his game despite his size. It is this that is their key strength, as physically they can roll out lines that out-compete almost all match ups size wise and are still faster. Crombeen is also back.And their coach utilizes physical match ups better than anyone.

Steen, McDonald & Berglund offer a depth of playmaking we cannot match. Is Sedin notably better than any one of them? Sigh, not at the moment, but usually... :sadno:

They can roll offensively & jump into the play defensively with Pietrangelo, Shatenkirk & Coloaiacovo, play physically with Jackman and have youth and athleticism on their D which may be less likely to wear in long series?

Pretty good goaltending; will win the Jennings & have an all star on the bench!

Perhaps their talent up front is not as dynamic as ours; but it can outduel most (including us?) to win physical match ups. I called them early in the season as our biggest challenger this year. Unfortunately i did not even take them seriously enough...

They have played 2 more games than us, and are up 6 points. I think I even heard Mike Keenan say this morning on Sportsnet, "well now that Vancouver knows they can't catch St Louis.............." Um what? I know they are in first, but seriously? We have NO CHANCE OF CATCHING an average team who has somehow been on fire recently? SMH.

Archived