The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's Friendly Discussion With Keith!

MJDDawg

I hate to disagree, but I think it's much smarter NOT to retaliate. Yeah, it was a cheap shot, and yeah it makes me want to see Keith, or THE RAT get their skulls cracked open, but if you think about it, whats the point? Those guys will get penalties/suspensions and the puck just ends up in their net. It's just a smarter decision.....

well...... that, and most of our guys are pussies.

We miss you Ripper.

We have the advantage of instant replay and multiple camera angles. From the ice I don't think it was clear that Keith had given Daniel a full-on elbow to the face. All the Canucks on the ice new was that Daniel had taken a hard hit and was shaken up.

And the Canucks have done very well this year and last by *not* retaliating physically but by retaliating on the score sheet. Worked right up to the Finals when the refs decided to throw their whistles in the trash.

This is one thing I hate most about AV's coaching! No retaliating whatsoever to avoid short-handed situations or maintaining a stupid power play. Fine for minor slashes and pokes, but for something like Salo or Daniel, AV should set an intolerable guideline for attempt to injure to his players to make the likes of the Rat or Keith pays immediately. Art Ross winner getting hit like that and no immediate action from his mates on the ice!!! Teams just keep on doing this again and again because they know AV won't let his players enforece anything.

Most of these posts make me laugh.

We are a tough team not a team of fighters. We are trying to win a SC not go out and get penalized, then scored on, or worse still injured.

How many times do you guys need to hear it? If you want to be Boston you will have to rebuild the team from scratch.

The league is full of useless teams with tough guys. Why because there are not that many Iginla's, Lucic's and Getzlaf's.

With a bit of luck we will have Volpatti back and these cheap hits will stop but until then we need to calm down, play smart and play to our strengths....... The Canuck Way.

The OP has it so bang on! How can these guys let Keith get away with this in the same game???? Regardless if they missed the intial hit, you don't think there was just a couple replays on the big screen before the game ended? Or even in the locker room during intermission??

This is exactly what bothers me about these particular Canucks. Who will actually stand up for this type of BS? The answer seems to be nobody. Not Kes. Not Kassian. Not Juice. Someone should've destroyed that piece of you know what before time expired on Wednesday night. But of course, nobody did.

And in the OP's examples, you see Chris Neil backing up his boys for not even close to the same type of hit. Where is our Neil type of player??? We don't f-ing have one!!! We need to show these mothatruckers that we won't take that crap from ANYONE!!!! And until that happens, teams will continue to think of us as the pansy arse team that let the Bruins walk all over us in last year's finals.

Flame away you keyboard "analysts".

The more I watch the highlights of the hit, the more I'm disgusted by the boys lack of immediate reaction to the cheap shot.

No immediate reaction by any Canuck player is really disheartening. Part of me is willing to give the boys the benefit of the doubt in that maybe none of them saw the hit. Yes there was some targeted push back for a while, but sometimes a team just has to say "WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" and deal with the situation immediately.

To make matters worse, watching Edler standing there talking to Keith while one of his teammates and best players in the league is down on the ice just makes me froth at the mouth.

This isn't a one time issue either. Remember the rat's low bridge hit on Salo in Boston that again drew no reaction from the Canucks...other than again some friendly talking.

I just can't fathom the lack of reaction...especially when our powerplay has gone down the tubes. What would there be to lose??

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I can't think of another solid team with cup aspirations that would be as passive as this after cheap shots to their top players. To me this is a big warning signal that this team isn't as together chemistry wise as we'd like to believe and that something is not right with this team.

Why have we not called up Bitz and Duco again?

Edler's nice discussion (at 20 second mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25I5rtFjiA

Kess & Henrik's pleasant discussion with the rat (at 20 second mark):

As a comparable, here's Chris Neils reaction to simply a solid hit tonight on Erik Karlsson from the Habs Mike Blunden (at 1:17 mark):

God I love Chris Neil!!!

I would love to see more of a retaliation after those kinds of cheap shots as well...

But on the other hand, remember the Marchand hit? We scored twice on the 5 minute powerplay, and went 4 for 5 on the powerplay that night and won by one goal.

If we had retaliated, taken some instigator penalties and what-not, I honestly don't think we would have won that game.

Which would you have preferred?

1) Canucks don't retaliate, but score on the powerplay and beat the Bruins, or,

2) Canucks get in a fight (which they may not even win), but lose the game in which Salo gets knocked out by a cheap shot?

I'm not sure about you guys, but I honestly don't think I could've handled losing that game AND losing Salo to a Marchand cheap shot. It would have lead to a few weeks of severe depression in my mind.

Archived