#1 Luwongo

Luwongo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

POPULAR

As is typical for many fans to do, we compare young players to older more established players who we can see them turning out to be like. Every time Tanev was on the ice it bothered me so much I couldn't find the right player to compare him to, but I knew there was one. Finally, after seeing him play beside Hamhuis the last few games I realized he is a Dan hamhuis in the making. He's not an overly physical big defender, but a strong skater, who rarely gets flustered, makes a strong/quick first pass, has hockey smarts/IQ when it comes to defending and positioning, I'm loving the move by AV to place Hamhuis/Tanev together. Let him mentor the kid the right way. What does the rest of CDC think? Thanks.
Posted Image

Props to Motzaburger for the sig

#2 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

I know what you mean. Him and Hamhuis both play such sound defense.
Posted Image

#3 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

POPULAR

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking.

However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo.

Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots.

Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#4 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking. However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo. Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots. Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

This. Probably the best comparison you can make.

Edited by Peace Bond, 27 March 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#5 canuckfan_sincebirth

canuckfan_sincebirth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

Yea, agreed Sami would be a good comparison.
So stoked for this kid, we havent had a solid
d prospect since Luc. (R.I.P.)

#6 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

Lol, After Tanev put on ten pounds of muscle this year, he still is 25 lbs lighter than Hamhuis. Nor have I seen him make a hit this year? :rolleyes: Hamhuis is a very capable physical defender, even if not the size of Weber. That side of things is not a good comparison.

But Tanev does handle the puck, move it and control the play... Very impressive.

As is typical for many fans to do, we compare young players to older more established players who we can see them turning out to be like. Every time Tanev was on the ice it bothered me so much I couldn't find the right player to compare him to, but I knew there was one. Finally, after seeing him play beside Hamhuis the last few games I realized he is a Dan hamhuis in the making. He's not an overly physical big defender, but a strong skater, who rarely gets flustered, makes a strong/quick first pass, has hockey smarts/IQ when it comes to defending and positioning, I'm loving the move by AV to place Hamhuis/Tanev together. Let him mentor the kid the right way. What does the rest of CDC think? Thanks.

#7 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

I know he was drafted before Luc; but Edler sort of came on and took a roster spot many thought Bourdon was going to get because he was a touted first rounder.

You could count Edler as our last, best D prospect?

Yea, agreed Sami would be a good comparison.
So stoked for this kid, we havent had a solid
d prospect since Luc. (R.I.P.)

#8 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Lol, After Tanev put on ten pounds of muscle this year, he still is 25 lbs lighter than Hamhuis. Nor have I seen him make a hit this year? :rolleyes: Hamhuis is a very capable physical defender, even if not the size of Weber. That side of things is not a good comparison.

But Tanev does handle the puck, move it and control the play... Very impressive.

you missed the tanev on clutterbuck i believe!! it was pretty good! probably his only hit but still!

#9 canuckfan_sincebirth

canuckfan_sincebirth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

I know he was drafted before Luc; but Edler sort of came on and took a roster spot many thought Bourdon was going to get because he was a touted first rounder.

You could count Edler as our last, best D prospect?

Yup you could

#10 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

I think defensively he most resembles Salo.

He has great positioning and he makes smart plays to clear the zone.

Since they both shoot right and have a similar frame (and my vision isn't all that great) I'm constantly getting the two of them mixed up.
Posted Image

#11 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

The comparison I make with Tanev is Keith Yandle from Phoenix. Yandle is only 3 years older and took a few seasons to become more offensive. They are both 6 ft 2 in and weigh very similar with Tanev having about 5 lbs on Yandle. But to me they skate very similar as taller, more lanky guys but are calm with the puck and good with their sticks and passing the puck up or skating it out.

Give Tanev a few more good years and I see him developing his offenseive abilities more, and becoming a good young, offensive defenseman like a Keith Yandle.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#12 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

You cant put Tanev in the Salo comparison radius since he doesnt have a booming slapper like Sami does!

#13 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking.

However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo.

Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots.

Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

I agree,

Tanev is waaay more Salo then Hamhuis.

#14 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hitting and being hit can take a lot out of you physically. No sssh--t, I hear you say.

Obviously CT can't do much about being hit but I'm sure he along with most of the team are subconsciously rationing their hits until the playoffs. The best hitter we had was Volpatti and look what happened to him.

So I'm not too worried about how much CT is hitting just now, I would rather he was fit for the playoffs.

As for playing partners, I honestly think come the playoffs we need to spread our safe hands down the line. For that reason I would put Bieksa back with Hamhuis, Edler with Sami and Ballard with Tanev.

If Sami needs a rest I would move Tanev up and play Ballard with Rome/Alberts/ MAG. Although none of these combos would play them on their natural side which was my big complaint about why Ballard didn't function properly until recently.
Kevin.jpg

#15 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

I did miss it...

How good? :)

you missed the tanev on clutterbuck i believe!! it was pretty good! probably his only hit but still!

#16 bure10fan

bure10fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Marc A G is looking just as good. Both of these kids will be upcoming stars

#17 Trevor19Naslund

Trevor19Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Somebody mentioned Ehrhoff.
>> This VIDEO Is What We Live For <<
Posted Image
Wish List: Backes, Palmieri, VanRiemsdyk, Chris Stewart, Dustin Brown, Clowe, Burish, Stoll, Ott.

#18 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

He reminds me of a pre-NHL Jeff Woywitka with those amazing outlet passes.
Posted Image

#19 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

dont worry cdc, we will have another top prospect in Justin Schultz when he signs here in the offseason. Seeing as how this is most likely salo's last year with the canucks, Justin can keep rocking the 6 (number he wore in wisconsin)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#20 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I'd compare him to Jay-Z, because he's a mf-ing p i m p on the ice.

Also, mabye Matty Ohlund, just because he's so calm on the ice. I can't remember such a young prospect with such a good first pass, and such good instincts. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in the playoffs with a more central role.

#21 Maniwaki Canuck

Maniwaki Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

I'd compare him to Jay-Z, because he's a mf-ing p i m p on the ice.

Also, mabye Matty Ohlund, just because he's so calm on the ice. I can't remember such a young prospect with such a good first pass, and such good instincts. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in the playoffs with a more central role.

Ohlund? You gotta be kidding. Tanev will never have Ohlund's physical presence, ability to clear the net, but he already moves the puck much better: totally different package.

#22 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Tanev needs to work out in the offseason and fill out his frame. Since he's had such a late growth spurt, he seems like he could put on some muscle to make him that much more effective. Excited for this guy. I think we'll have a very solid, defensively sound d-man - someone you won't notice untill you see his +/- numbers late in the season.

#23 PaveltoKesler

PaveltoKesler

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

I know this is goin to get some ppl mad on here after what he did but I think we have an up and coming Duncan keith with Tanev just without the cheapshot to start players
just my two cents they seem to skate the exact same way, Keith is obviosly more physical but in time Tanev will be too.

#24 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Tanev does move the puck well. He is adjusting to the NHL speed which is an issue. On a lesser team he would have been in Van all year which would have been a mistake. Depth counts. He can ease in but is probably here to stay.

MAG on the otherhand does not give me any warm and fuzzies. He turned the puck 3X on one shift last night. His struggle is in the d-zone. He does move up the ice quickly and I can see his offensive potential. You have to ask whether there is enough room for both a Tanev and MAG on the Van roster. Connaughton and Sauve will push next year.

#25 spinarama

spinarama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'd compare him to his mother.

after that to his brother.

#26 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Salo without the shot. Hamhuis but less physical.
Sig too big.

#27 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Give Tanev a few more good years and I see him developing his offenseive abilities more, and becoming a good young, offensive defenseman like a Keith Yandle.

You're dreaming.

#28 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Other than the shot, he looks like a modern-day Sami Salo. Salo used to be a lot better offensively and not as good defensively, but now Salo's better defensively than offensively, much like Tanev.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#29 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image

yes, he looks that cool back there
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#30 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,022 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

He's Salo without the shot.

Tanev really needs to bulk up though. Did anyone see that locker room celebration video against Dallas? He's skinny as hell.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.