The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev Comparisons

Luwongo

I'd compare him to Jay-Z, because he's a mf-ing p i m p on the ice.

Also, mabye Matty Ohlund, just because he's so calm on the ice. I can't remember such a young prospect with such a good first pass, and such good instincts. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in the playoffs with a more central role.

Tanev needs to work out in the offseason and fill out his frame. Since he's had such a late growth spurt, he seems like he could put on some muscle to make him that much more effective. Excited for this guy. I think we'll have a very solid, defensively sound d-man - someone you won't notice untill you see his +/- numbers late in the season.

I know this is goin to get some ppl mad on here after what he did but I think we have an up and coming Duncan keith with Tanev just without the cheapshot to start players

just my two cents they seem to skate the exact same way, Keith is obviosly more physical but in time Tanev will be too.

Tanev does move the puck well. He is adjusting to the NHL speed which is an issue. On a lesser team he would have been in Van all year which would have been a mistake. Depth counts. He can ease in but is probably here to stay.

MAG on the otherhand does not give me any warm and fuzzies. He turned the puck 3X on one shift last night. His struggle is in the d-zone. He does move up the ice quickly and I can see his offensive potential. You have to ask whether there is enough room for both a Tanev and MAG on the Van roster. Connaughton and Sauve will push next year.

Other than the shot, he looks like a modern-day Sami Salo. Salo used to be a lot better offensively and not as good defensively, but now Salo's better defensively than offensively, much like Tanev.

I was actually thinking last night that Tanev reminds me of the defense version of Hansen

both had to work there way into the NHL (Hansen late round pick, Tanev not drafted)but once they got there impressed fans with their work ethic and steady demeanor. Both are solid defensively but rarely take stupid penalities. Neith player is super flashy and neither will be a superstar but both are players any coach would love to have.

He's a combination of Ballard, Hamhuis, and Salo.

He does that move when he is behind the net gathering speed and looks like he is gonna go for an end to end rush, but instead goes for a great outlet pass, like Ballard.

He has Hamhuis' calm behavior on the ice and looks similar to him in the d zone.

Has Salo's height and looks very similar in the offensive zone (minus the huge slapper) is able to pinch at the right times, which Salo also does pretty well.

He has all the tools to become a great two way defenseman.

Lol, After Tanev put on ten pounds of muscle this year, he still is 25 lbs lighter than Hamhuis. Nor have I seen him make a hit this year? :rolleyes: Hamhuis is a very capable physical defender, even if not the size of Weber. That side of things is not a good comparison.

But Tanev does handle the puck, move it and control the play... Very impressive.

Tanev is a smart player and always makes a good outlet pass.

I do not like him being out there with Hamhuis because that pairing does not provide much offense and there is little toughness on that pairing as well.On the other hand, we now have Edler and Beiksa together, who both provide offense along with a whole lot of getting caught up ice because they are both playing deep. It might not be a bad pairing if they ever figure out how to back up the other dman when he goes deep but being this close to the playoffs I think it is a risky pairing just so you can have Hamhuis mentor Tanev.

Edler is having more trouble adapting to the change than Beiksa and looks totally lost in our zone at times.

Lol, After Tanev put on ten pounds of muscle this year, he still is 25 lbs lighter than Hamhuis. Nor have I seen him make a hit this year? :rolleyes: Hamhuis is a very capable physical defender, even if not the size of Weber. That side of things is not a good comparison.

But Tanev does handle the puck, move it and control the play... Very impressive.

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking.

However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo.

Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots.

Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

Archived