Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

How Many Games Should Av Give Mayray In The Playoffs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#31 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Posted Image

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#32 Canuckzilla

Canuckzilla

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Hodgson
Raymond - Pahlsson - Higgins
Kassian - Lapierre - Malhotra

Edler - Tanev
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Salo - Ballar

Schneider
Luongo

^your 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

#33 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

i'd give him a new playstation and full set of EA Sports Games from the last 2-3 years and tell him to enjoy his newborn, such a horrible injury to come back from, you got to give Raymond alot of credit for trying but its obvious that he's just not there physically,
After a summer of Gary Roberts training he could come back to the team strong and lose the "Human Zamboni" moniker.
i just can't see him lasting playing top 6 minutes thru Playoff Savagery. Once his wings are clipped he will be even more of a liability
On the flipside having a Mason Raymond sitting in the press box is a nice luxury to have in case of injuries and he has flashes of brilliance. I'd love to see him kill it this spring and shut everyone up myself included.
Maybe give him a chance on the 4th line with Bitz and Kassian. Need those guys in lineup if dressing raymond.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#34 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Higgins- H.Sedin - Burrows
D.Sedin- Pahlsson - Hansen
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Volpatti - Lapierre -Bitz

Edler - Tanev
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Salo - Ballard

Schneider
Luongo

^your 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

:towel:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#35 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,128 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Raymonds speed & defense make him usefull to a point. It does give a match up advantage that many teams cant counter, even when he's not scoring neither is the opposing (top) line.

Raymond is a first or 2knd line player, but ideally he either needs to play well enough in the talent game or sit. And part of this is he needs to play with a play maker; someone to deliver the puck to him driving the high slot where he has a good shot. Because he's not the type of talent to carry and distribute the puck. Our problem is that our 2knd line does not have that guy, and he really has not earned the spot over Burrows with Hank.

The paradox, is that Kassian who might replace him has the same problem. And what he offers in physical play over Raymonds speed, he has not been in good enough condition to sustain over an entire game where Raymond can skate all day. May Ray is probably going to play!

I understand that Raymond will be valuable to us in the playoffs, I know that he's had a major injury, I know his speed might be valuable against LA's D and I know he had a great season previously. However, the regular season is over now and the real season begins...we don't have the luxury to keep giving players a free ride. Every game matters and every player needs to prove he belongs on the ice... Line ups at practice: D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Burrows Raymond, Kes, Booth Hansen, Pahlsson, Higgy Manny, Lappy, Bitz Should the 2nd line disappear again with Raymond on it, I hope AV puts Lappy back on the 2nd in the following game.

#36 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Raymonds speed & defense make him usefull to a point. It does give a match up advantage that many teams cant counter, even when he's not scoring neither is the opposing (top) line.

Raymond is a first or 2knd line player, but ideally he either needs to play well enough in the talent game or sit. And part of this is he needs to play with a play maker; someone to deliver the puck to him driving the high slot where he has a good shot. Because he's not the type of talent to carry and distribute the puck. Our problem is that our 2knd line does not have that guy, and he really has not earned the spot over Burrows with Hank.

The paradox, is that Kassian who might replace him has the same problem. And what he offers in physical play over Raymonds speed, he has not been in good enough condition to sustain over an entire game where Raymond can skate all day. May Ray is probably going to play!

I agree that he's going to play...i've forced myself to be content with this decision.

Raymonds played well and hasn't gotten his touch back, but that's not what pisses me off. It's the effect he has to the other players on his line... it seems that he doesn't gel well with the other players and they play sub-par with Raymond on the line. Sure they aren't letting goals in...but we have 2 lines below to handle the defensive aspects of this team.

- 1st line needs to score and since Raymond hasn't got his touch or deserved a spot on the top, he doesn't deserve another shot during the playoffs.

- 2nd line needs to drive and pound and this isn't his style of game. Unfortunately, this is the style of play we need from Kes and Booth and the 2nd has been a disappointment with Raymond on it.

- 3rd line with Raymond rendered Hansen 'average' since he has said that he adjusts his style of game around his line mates and we need the badger.

- 4th line is not suited for Raymond at all. But, he will play a key role as a depth player and he tends to play a little better when he realizes that his job is on the line (I still can't believe that he was surprised when AV sat him???), he played great for 2 games the last time this happened.

And we don't need Kassian to replace him on the 2nd. I was hoping to bring the Amex line back with Lappy on the wing with the 3rd, but I also liked the look of Lappy on the 2nd and keeping HPH together. We've got plenty of depth to cover the 4th line....

Edited by nuck luck, 10 April 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#37 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Another "hate Raymond" thread, how ----- original!
Kevin.jpg

#38 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

I hope it's for all 16 games for the sake of his fall counter.

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#39 Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Another goofy hate thread.

#40 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,298 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

If he's not producing offence on our 2nd line, he belongs on our 4th line. Put someone like Kassian or Bitz up on the 2nd line because they're essentially the same type of player as Kesler and Booth but more physicality and less skill.

Raymond should play with Lapierre and a big body like Kassian or Bitz (whoever isn't on the 2nd line) on the 4th line, giving that line a great mix of skill, speed, toughness and fiestiness. Of course that means Malhotra is the odd man out, so for me it's either Raymond or Malhotra in the lineup. We'll need Bitz and Kassian for the playoffs, especially against a big strong LA team that was second in the NHL in hits.
Posted Image

#41 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Give him a couple games, maybe he can step he intensity up and bring some offense with his speed. The kesler, booth and raymond line would be perfect to match with the richards line.
Posted Image

#42 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Until Kassian is back, there is going to be a lot of Raymond. When Kass comes back, out goes Raymond.

Lines with Kass:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Lapierre
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
Bitz-Malhotra-Kassian

LA is a physical team, so that's why Raymond won't cut the lineup.
Posted Image

#43 Zach Morris

Zach Morris

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Until Kassian is back, there is going to be a lot of Raymond. When Kass comes back, out goes Raymond.

Lines with Kass:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Lapierre
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
Bitz-Malhotra-Kassian

LA is a physical team, so that's why Raymond won't cut the lineup.

You're funny. Raymond is our best penalty killer, and our fastest winger. Regardless of a team being physical, Team speed and great pnalty Killing is what this team needs in the playoffs. Your argument on the Fact that the kings are physical is weak. LA is a Trap team and they clog up that neutral zone better than any other team in the League. How you break the trap is a chip and chase game. With MayRay's speed you need him to chase after the D after the chip. May Ray is our best forward at creating turnovers. The problem he had in the regular season was that he tended to cough it up by falling, or shooting wide on goal, after he made the other player cough it up. I'm sick of these arm chair GM comments. Kassian is a Rookie who AV has limited his ice time. The only player I see surplanting Raymonds spot in the line-up is Reinprecht.
Posted Image

"Incredulous"

#44 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

here's the thing with mayray.
He's had his scoring chances. He's good defensively. But he's not consistent. Sometimes, he'll make great passes, other times, he won't. You never know what game he's going to put on the ice and that is his biggest downfall. The guy's great player if he focuses and plays every game like it's his last.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

When Raymond lacks confidence he plays HORRIBLY.

And I'm not a big Raymond fan, but when he's on his game, he can puck handle and dish like a motherf***er.

On a different note though, the one great thing about what AV did before the end of the season (that is, try different line combinations) is just for this sort of situation. If one player doesn't do well on one line, then you can put Lapierre on that line, or Burrows, or anyone!

#46 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have to disagree with you. In no way has Mason had a free ride. He broke his G.D.ed back for the team last year. He is also a work horse out there in terms of his defensive and speed.

He was a little snake bitten this year, and had a tendency of slipping on the ice. Its a brand new season come Wednesday, and a little birdy told me he's gonna try sharpining his skates 3/4" instead of 1/2"!

He'll be in the lineup as long as he is healthy!

hes been snake bitten since the end of the 09-10 season. hes averaged 14 goals a season playing on the second line. if hes going to be fanning on one timers in the slot or falling down or turning the puck over im going to be ripping my hair out.

#47 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I think Mayray deserves a chance, but it should be a short chance. He's proven time and again that when the playoffs come around, he cannot elevate his game. I truly hope this year is different, but what gives us the impression that it will be? There is no reason that Mason has given us to beleive that it will be any different this year than in other years.

This is not to say that he can't be effective at points of the playoffs, because of course he can be. The question in my mind is not whether or ot he can be effective.. after all anyone could emerge as a playoff MVP for our team.. no, the question is will he.. and in my mind I have no reason to beleive at all that Mason will be any better than he has throughout the season. He does not strike me as the kind of player that can bring his A+ game just because the playoffs are at hand.

I say he should get 3-4 games in the first round here to see what he can do. If he does well, keep him. if not, make the adjustment. everyone is so steadfast that if Lu has a couple bad games he should be yanked.. why should it be any different for Raymond??

Posted Image

#48 Grind-Like-Lightning

Grind-Like-Lightning

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Raymond coming in on Martinez/Mitchell/Scuderi --> Free Breakaway. Unless he takes the puck into the corner by habit.
Posted Image Posted Image

#49 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

When you have to get scratched to get you going IN A CONTRACT YEAR you know you have issues with a player. There is no more ceiling with Raymond. What you see is what you get. He might have some impact on a lesser team like Calgary or Columbus, but on this team he has no role. His speed is over-rated (how often does he use his feet to breakaway from defenders? I see Burrows, Hanse, Lappy and Kes do it wayyy more), and while he is a good PKer, we have more than enough of those (Hansen, Higgins, Kes, Burr, Pahlsson, etc), he doesn't hit, he doesn't intimidate, he's just an indifferent, useless player. I hope I don't see him in the playoffs at all, but for some reason AV thinks there's more there to him. I hope he's right, but I know he's wrong.

That part is plain stupid. He is returning from a broken back. With a full summer of conditioning, he will be a better player. It's funny how the haters trivialize all of his positive traits and magnify his negative traits. He brings way more positives and is a big part of our depth. Add the fact that a lot of the players suggested to replace him aren't used to big minutes. As long as he's not a defensive liability, he will play.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#50 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Another "hate Raymond" thread, how ----- original!

What are you reading? There's no hating here, just stating the obvious. If the blatant evidence leads you to that conclusion...

I don't love him...nor do I hate him. I just don't think he deserves a free ride and if he disrupts the chemistry or style of game of his line mates, bench him (ignoring the fact that he doesn't score...I know he's playing sound defense, but there's more to hockey than playing defense. Look at how the lines play with him on it... )

#51 Captain Vietnam

Captain Vietnam

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

If he continues to do all those flybys and turn the puck over, he's done in my books. The leash on Raymond is shorter than Luongo.

#52 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

here's the thing with mayray.
He's had his scoring chances. He's good defensively. But he's not consistent. Sometimes, he'll make great passes, other times, he won't. You never know what game he's going to put on the ice and that is his biggest downfall. The guy's great player if he focuses and plays every game like it's his last.

....Sh't you've described Kesler to a tee.Does this mean if his play dosen't improve dramatically he'll be on the bench side by side with Raymond.??

#53 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I am going to make a bold prediction here and say he makes a huge impact in the first round with 5 pts in a low scoring series.

1G 4A

.. and he remains on the roster for that reason.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#54 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Zero.
Posted Image

#55 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

None. There are better options that Vancouver has in the top 6 and Raymond is a horrible player for your bottom 6.

Edit: Oops I forgot if there is an injury then you can slot Raymond in.

Edited by Toews, 10 April 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#56 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Kesler gets a bit of a pass because he was so great against Nashville last season in the playoffs.

Raymond is fast, and he's creative, but he doesn't seem to have hands when he needs them the most.

He's like a reverse Wellwood. Welly was slow, but he had hands. Raymond seems to have everything but.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.