The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Plead To Fans, Especially Those At The Game (Luongo)

**ThumbsUp**

I was at Game 3 or 4 during the Stanley Cup Finals when they were showing it on the big screen at Rogers Arena and it made me sick when fans started booing Luongo and cheering when he got pulled for Schneider.

Even if you are cheering-in Schneider, those covering the game will view it as booing Luongo. This, unfortunately, cannot be avoided.

I'm tired of defending Luongo now. Won't trash him. Won't blindly defend him either. We have two great goaltenders. Teams in the past that won cups have played their backups at critical times. Let the games unfold and let us pray that AV will make the right call at the right time. Cheers.

TOML

Really, I think we should cheer our team no matter what, even if they don't make it to the cup this year. That's what support is about. I can't believe people would be mad at the team after the great run they had last year. Yeah, one game more would have given us all the more reason to cheer, but we already did have plenty, and our team (not to mention the city) deserved better treatment from the fans.

You sure they aren't saying 'boo-urns'? seriously pointless thread, you can't tell people what to do, how to cheer, they nutted up for the tickets that you couldn't get. If Lu poops the bed dam straight they have every right to boo him. The window is closing fast and it's starting to get cold outside.

On September 2, 2009 the Canucks announced that they had signed Luongo to a 12-year contract extension worth $64 million for a $5.33 million annual salary cap hit. The front-loaded deal, which will expire by the time Luongo is 43 and includes a no-trade clause, sees him make $10 million in 2010–11, then approximately $6.7 million annually through to 2017–18, $3.3 million and $1.6 million the subsequent two seasons, before tailing off to $1 million for the final two years.

I hope Luongo earns his keep tonight. I certainly won't boo any Canuck on the ice but I'd rather see Schneider in between the pipes.

There is a lot of banter on here about fans that boo their own players not being "real fans". Yankee fans boo their own players all the time and they are some of the most loyal and knowledgeable fans in baseball.

BTW, I'm not a Yankees fan and I don't support booing for the most part. Like it or not, it's here to stay.

I think Luo is more prepared mentally and emotionally than he ever has been playing here.

He has shown some real maturity this year that I have never seen him able to display before.

This is Luo's defining year and it is safe to say our chances are best with rennaisance Luo in the net.

This is a very decisive year for Luo and his career.I doubt if the boo birds will have a chance this year's playoffs.

yup. I don't like luongo as a goalie either, and I feel he's going to lose the playoffs for the canucks again, but booing him is only going to make the situation worse.

hopefully he's clutch and comes thru anyway

I agree with the OP. Luongo has received the message. I hate Luongo's inconsistency (though I love him when he's on his game) but I truly believe he's really on a short leash and it will only take 1 or 2 bad periods for him to get the pull this year.

Booing him shows a serious lack of class at this point.

We can win it all this year if Luongo stays on his game or with Schneider, given that he stays in his net and stops playing the puck (my god he is terrible at it).

Archived