The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please Fire The Power Play Coach!

VancityBeast

Part of it is the players, but come on guys, when we use the same power play formation game after game, same drop pass teams read it from a mile away, some of the blame needs to go to the PP coach.

its been awful for awhile, and he has not changed the power play at all with regards to how its constructed.

The power play has struggled for the last quarter of the season, and is still struggling

here in the playoffs. Maybe they should try out different players on the power play

from time to time. I dont like the way they enter the zone when on the power play.

The opponents have that play figured out, they need to change it up.

They obviously studied our PP and cracked it. Its time for adjustments, and its their job. Failure to do so will have consequences.

To be fair, we are missing Daniel on the first unit. Also Ehrhoff from last year, who was really our top D on PP. The 2nd unit is missing Hodgson, who was the QB.

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

Drop pass

We lost a lot of skill on our PP when you get rid of Hodgson and Daniel Sedin. I mean seriously, Raymond and Ebbett on the PP? That's two 10-goal scorers.

Here's what I want to see:

Kesler - Henrik - Higgins

Edler - Salo

Set up the Salo slapshot with Higgins and Kesler in front of the net, Higgins looking for the occasional tip.

Burrows - Booth - Raymond

Ballard - Hamhuis

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEBODY EXPLAIN TO BE THE LOGIC BEHIND

HENRIK KESLER AND RAYMOND

as your forwards on the 1st PP unit?

This isn't NHL calibre coaching. Our far and away best 2 centres are on the same freaking PP line along with Mason "can't play" Raymond.

What Stanley Cup favourite would have Andrew Ebbett centering the 2nd PP unit?

Epic FAIL for PP coaches and AV.

How long does it take for them to get their heads out of their A**'s????

The drop pass is a failure, they need someone to carry the puck QUICKLY over the blue line and then pass, none of this delaying, allowing the other team to get setup.

This is not rocket science, when you have 5 men to the other team's 4, it is not difficult to get the puck in. Either you shoot it in with a pair of fast moving forwards coming in hard on each wing as the puck crosses the line, or you carry it in. They need to use the center of the ice too, enter on a wing, and pass back to the center to a defenceman or late entering forward.

Once in the zone, they need to move towards the net, and not scate around the outside. If you don't force the defence to react, there are no holes. If you move towards the net, you force the opposing players to move to you, and then the ice opens up, allowing a pass to a player in the clear.

COACHING FAILURE

We have very talented players. It's up to coaching to bring out the best application of their talents in order to dominate and be a successful team.

I dont proclaim to know everything about hockey but GET REAL. To continue doing the SAME thing expecting different results is insanity. They could have dealt with this ages ago. Its gone from bad to worse. The sedins passing and passing no shots generated, to issues gaining the line, now we're giving up shg?

Furthermore, to those who state "well, to be fair, we dont have erhoff or samuelsson etc" that is irrelevant. We dont have sidney crosby either, but we still expect our team to score goals

don't we?

We have to expect the coaches to work with what they have and adapt. They just keep rolling out that tired drop pass crap and leaving it to " the boys" to lead their team. Well they should have stepped up a long time ago to adapt, address issues, and figure it the $&@$ out.

I love my team and I'll always support them but I'm disappointed in the way they are being coached.

Get a clue Newell or get out!

In the second half of the season my belief is many teams picked up the scouting report on the Canucks.

Their PP breakout is based on the drop pass which hasn't been working because other teams are already anticipating this.

Not just in todays game (where they gave up a shorty) but I recall a few instances near the end of the season where they just couldn't get out of their zone because the play was so obvious and was read well in advance by the opposing checker.

After the trade deadline, as much as people like to say Hodgson only had one good month, we did lose a player who is capable of QBing the second PP unit working off the left circle.

In the playoffs, you play a team every other night for between 4 and 7 games.

After each game you need to make adjustments.

AV and the rest of the coaches have to take some of the blame.

You cannot rely simply on talent or that you have a better team on paper.

If something isn't working, you have to make a change.

In the playoffs you don't have 10 or 12 games to "see if things fall into place".

PS: would it kill AV to use a timeout once in a blue friggin moon?

Archived