Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo Get Out Of There, Go To Tampa Bay Or Somewhere ~ Don Cherry

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#61 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

For $900,000 or whatever it is that Cherry is overpaid, you'd think the CBC could afford someone who can pronounce players names, refrain from calling enforcers pukes, and spare us the endless self-righteous ranting.

I love Luongo but am not going to feel sorry for him - that is professional sport - when another competitor plays better than you, the obvious consequence is that they earn the job... He has had a great career and will continue to - people who think that no one will want him have no clue - Luongo would be a serious upgrade for a whole lot of teams, and the chance to acquire a proven franchise goaltender doesn't come along very often. His cap hit is modest and for teams that have money to spend, his contract is not going to deter them. If Philadelphia had not spent the farm on Bryz, you can imagine what they would do to get a Luongo. Tampa, Florida, Toronot - all teams that would be out of their mind to pass up the opportunity.

For those suggesting like the morons at the Province did, that Lecavalier will be coming to Vancouver, it is years to late to propose that, and makes absolutely no sense for Vancouver to take on his ridiculous contract - Luongo has much more value than a dump for a cap hit that would cripple the Canucks.

Lu has more value as a player, but his 10years declines a lot of his value. We would have to take a big contract in return without a doubt
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#62 Hock-E-Dad

Hock-E-Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

This just in, Luongo to Buffalo for Cody Hodgson.

#63 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,308 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Carter and Richards both have similar contracts that run til 2020 and 2022, at a combined $11 million - Carter is nowhere near as important a player as a franchise goaltender like Luongo, Richards is also very inconsistent, and they both have "reputations". Richards brought Philly Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd, and Carter fetched Johnson and a 1st from Columbus, after they were fleeced by Philadelphia....

People are devaluing Luongo way too much. Besides, the Canucks can choose to spend the extra few million on a tandem and are not forced to move either guy in the short term. They are in a position of strength - the many desperate teams without goaltending on the other hand, are not.

Edited by oldnews, 23 April 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#64 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I read the article of mike lieuts statement re Cory. Mike is his agent for those of you who didn't know. He takes the position that he thinks both goalies could conceivable be back next year. I believe its a distinct possibility.

#65 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,308 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

No thanks. Besides, the contract Hodgson's agent will expect willl make him harder to move than Wade Reddon.

#66 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well if Av is back next year Lu is gone

#67 Visp

Visp

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

No way, Cody would ask for 60 minutes in goal a game or threaten to walk. He would also want a 81 game minimum between the pipes contract clause.

#68 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I read the article of mike lieuts statement re Cory. Mike is his agent for those of you who didn't know. He takes the position that he thinks both goalies could conceivable be back next year. I believe its a distinct possibility.

I'd like nothing more than to have both Lu and Cory stick with this team.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#69 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

will be interesting how this all un folds

sad tho that Louuu will fall into that Mark Messier, Mats Sundin, Canucks history book of

the Eagles song

take the money and run!!

The Eagles eh????? Hmmmm.

Steve Miller might have something to say about that
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#70 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

So sad to see Luongo go after all he did for this team. People will regret the day he puts on another jersey!
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#71 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

So sad to see Luongo go after all he did for this team. People will regret the day he puts on another jersey!

Uhh he hasn't been traded, and he's not going to be.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#72 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,653 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

He's the only reason the Canucks can win.

He's the only reason the Canucks lost.

They can't go anywhere without him.

They'll never go anywhere with him.

He wants to be traded.

He's untradeable.

He's the best player they've ever had.

He's overrated.

He's a hall-of-famer.

He's a sieve.

His career numbers are outstanding.

He'll never get it done.

He needs to play all season.

He needs rest.

He's bulletproof.

He's ripped his groin.

His pads are too big.

His 5-hole is too big.

He's a great leader.

He's selfish.

He's an all-star.

He's a crybaby.

He's a Canuck.

He's Roberto Luongo.

What's next? Cheers.

TOML

Posted Image

#73 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,433 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Luongo is and always will be the Canucks starter.

Schneider got 1 playoff win and we're reading to lean on him over Luongo? No thanks. Plenty could still go wrong in Schneider's career, Luongo almost single-handedly won us the cup in the finals.

Plus, Luongo could always have a Thomas-like resurgence and have his best season coming up. Schneider's peak will be too far away from the rest of our core's anyway so doesn't make sense to go with Schneider.
Posted Image

#74 briana

briana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Luongo s packing his bags and not coming back ....I don t know but it doesn t look like Lack is ready for NHL duties yet.

Canucks will be going from goaltending depth to praying Schneider wants to stay and signs here and also hoping he stays healthy..

Very sad moment when Lu will announce any day he is not coming back.

Announcement coming very soon ..

#75 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Luongo s packing his bags and not coming back ....I don t know but it doesn t look like Lack is ready for NHL duties yet.

Canucks will be going from goaltending depth to praying Schneider wants to stay and signs here and also hoping he stays healthy..

Very sad moment when Lu will announce any day he is not coming back.

Announcement coming very soon ..

No.

If he wanted out he would have left a long time ago. He has thicker skin than that.

Posted Image

#76 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Once Vancouver gets a Stanley cup , and if Roberto is on another eastern team and playing van for the cup, I'm pulling for louie all the way.
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#77 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

For the love of God, people have no clue what the facts are here. The facts are that Schneider posts better numbers than Luongo does, the Canucks play better as a whole when Schneider is in net, and the fans don't want Luongo here anymore.

Its not about Luongo being a bad goaltender.

Its about Schneider being the better goaltender.

i1u6zif.gif

#78 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

For the love of God, people have no clue what the facts are here. The facts are that Schneider posts better numbers than Luongo does, the Canucks play better as a whole when Schneider is in net, and the fans don't want Luongo here anymore.

Its not about Luongo being a bad goaltender.

Its about Schneider being the better goaltender.

Its actually about which goalie can be moved and which goalie can't. That's what it comes down to.

Posted Image

#79 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,399 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

For the first time, I actually agree with Don Cherry

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#80 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Luongo is and always will be the Canucks starter.

Schneider got 1 playoff win and we're reading to lean on him over Luongo? No thanks. Plenty could still go wrong in Schneider's career, Luongo almost single-handedly won us the cup in the finals.

Plus, Luongo could always have a Thomas-like resurgence and have his best season coming up. Schneider's peak will be too far away from the rest of our core's anyway so doesn't make sense to go with Schneider.

Facts for the this years playoffs: Schneider earned 100% more wins than Luongo did. Schneider had a save percentage of .960 while Luongo was at .891. Schneider's GAA was at 1.31 while Luongo's is at 3.59.

Facts for the regular season: Schneider earned 20 wins in 28 starts, Luongo earned 31 wins in 54 starts. Schneider had a save percentage of .937, while Luongo had a save percentage of .919. Schneider had a GAA of 1.96, Luongo had a GAA of 2.41.

Schneider looks to be the better goaltender to me. People who believe that Luongo was the only reason we won back to back presidents trophies seem to be taking a lot of credit from our "backup".

i1u6zif.gif

#81 Oh Whisht

Oh Whisht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I don't particularly care for Don Cherry, and usually turn off his segment. But, mispronouncing someone's name, while it is irritating to those of us who are fans of those players; is hardly reason to say 'you can't trust anything he says'. Get real.

At least Don isn't OUR announcer. Haven't you ever noticed that Cheech calls Malhotra MalhoLtra all the time? He's our own guy; for the love of God, why can't he pronounce Manny's name right? All he has to do is read the flippin jersey if he's not sure.

#82 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Its actually about which goalie can be moved and which goalie can't. That's what it comes down to.

I understand that. My problem with that however is that it has been made clear to Luongo (or so it seems from the fan's perspective) that he is no longer #1 in Vancouver. If Luongo has any self-respect, he should ask for a trade simply because he deserves better than being a back-up.

i1u6zif.gif

#83 Ryan Strome

Ryan Strome

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

If I was Luongo I would leave and never look back. A vezina trophy winner, a gold medal winner and stanley cup finalist booted out by this city. Brutal "fans".

Excuse me?

#84 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

And then Luongo wins the Vezina and the Stanley Cup with his new team

Posted Image

I dont know why, but that picture made me laugh so hard for 3 straight minutes :lol:

#85 Dream Theater

Dream Theater

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Good riddance. I don't want some one who has the ability to blow games at the worst possible moments bewteen the pipes.
Posted Image

#86 AndyBernard

AndyBernard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

we cant afford to have both goalies unless we plan on icing the same team without any improvements. Schneider will be asking for a lot so to me it's one or the other.
Posted Image
credit - VintageCanuck

#87 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

I understand that. My problem with that however is that it has been made clear to Luongo (or so it seems from the fan's perspective) that he is no longer #1 in Vancouver. If Luongo has any self-respect, he should ask for a trade simply because he deserves better than being a back-up.

Well Schneider doesn't have a contract as of now, so he's not our number 1 either.

If their plan is to sign Schneider and trade Luongo, they have to make sure that first of all Schneider wants to sign here; and second of all that Luongo would accept a trade, and that there's a team that's willing to make a deal that he'll go to.

It's not as simple as just trading Luongo like alot of fans seem to be pretending. There's alot of different parts to either plan.

Edited by DeNiro, 23 April 2012 - 08:59 PM.

Posted Image

#88 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

going to be so sad when/if he gets moved
Posted Image

#89 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Is Don Cherry stupid? He can't go anywhere. ONly Gillis can move him. And if Don Cherry was the coach would he have started Schneider?

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#90 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

forget the salary hit, loyalty, nationality, previous feats... in the end all that matters is whether the Canucks have a better chance at winning the cup with Schneider or Luongo?

Luongo has bad October's (every season) and has meltdowns here and there but when he's on form, he is awesome.

Schneider rarely has a bad game and the team plays better with him in net and is 5 years+ younger.

Granted that Schneider hasn't played the same amount of games, but yes...of course.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.