196 replies to this topic

#31 Z3tt3rB3rg19

Z3tt3rB3rg19

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

No one forced David Booth, or any other professional athlete to chose this profession as their job. It was a choice. And the reality in professional sports and fanbases are, you don't have one without the other. Their is no 'Vancouver Canucks' if they don't have a large fanbase who a) buys tickets to hockey games b ) purchases team merchandise c) watch the team in TV

You choose to play professional sports, then you choose you to be in the spotlight. That spotlight will always provide a combination of love and hate, it's how professional sports work. Habs are under just as much pressure as the Leafs, why have they made the playoffs? The Leafs are a bad hockey team, that's why they didn't make the playoffs - it has nothing to do with their fanbase.

I am under public scrutiny in my job, but I realized that when I accepted the challenge. I chose this career and it meant I chose what came with it. The sooner David Booth can accept that, the sooner he can take responsibility for his own actions.

Did you really just compare yourself to David Booth? Unless you're a professional ice hockey player I don't personally believe you can relate to how it is for him, even if you are under public scrutiny.

#32 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

coming from the guy who's response to Booth's message was "screw you I pay your salary"? That's a constructive message is it?

Please tell me me where exactly I said that. I can post comments without attacking people, can you say the same? I've also reported you.

#33 FallenCR7A

FallenCR7A

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I swear I saw a camera shot of him on the bench with Daniel during game 4 telling Daniel he prayed that he would be back and healthy, Daniel had the look like ya ummm...... thanks man?

You're an amazing lip reader. I'm sorry, I don't mean to spark a debate but it just goes to show from the other posts how uptight the irreligious people on this board are. From David Booth's comments, none of which are religous -> religious debate.

Edited by pflaumEnSaft, 23 April 2012 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image

Formerly pflaumEnSaft

#34 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Don't even compare your job to them and this excuse that they choose is bull. They're doing something they love which outweighs the bad but that doesn't mean it doesn't sucks when random so called fans are ragging on you. If you don't like the team please vote for another and let a real fan take your spot...simple you don't have a reason to complain and we don't have a reason to read your crap

People with maturity are out in full force tonight. I compared my career to his --- where exactly? I stated both careers were under public scrutiny, which is accurate. When any person accepts a career which is under constant public scrutiny, you have to think long and hard about what that means - and if you're up for the challenge.

Also, this whole 'real fan', 'fake fan' stuff is pretty funny. A person can offer constructive criticism, but they aren't a real fan? So if my parents tell me my car is ugly, they must hate me? Please. This is real life here.

#35 Serendipity

Serendipity

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I can see what Booth said rubbed some people the wrong way.

The quote is what it is. What's up for interpretation is David Booth's projection of it.

At least to me, it does not seem like a collective "screw you" to the fans. I think all he's trying to say is don't be so quick to judge. Here we are on CDC pointing fingers and accusing players of failing to meet expectations. It's within our right to do so, everyone is allowed to have an opinion - but I think Booth is just asking us to look at the players who are "marred by dust and sweat and blood" and have some form of sympathy. Obviously the players are not ignorant, they know they did not meet Vancouver's expectations - but who are we to say that they did not give every ounce of effort they could muster up.

Hockey is a sport. Sports are really just a collection of athleticism, desire and luck. Sometimes you may work your butt off and things just never happen to go your way. Sometimes you can overcome the odds and prevail, but more often than not you are met with defeat.

Again, I think Booth's just saying - they tried the best they could and would like for the fans to realize this and in times of defeat, look to past achievements for some future hope.

Just my interpretation. But who knows - I've been studying calculus all day so for all I know, my brain's turned to mush. <_<

#36 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I think he's right. Personally I don't mind dissecting, analayzing, and even criticising players, because I like the strategy and technical part of the game. But I hate when a little criticism turns into full on bashing and hate. I think there's a difference there.

Some fans have the attitude that the team somehow owes them something personally. It's so pathetic when people who are sitting on their comfy couch in the living room, straight up insult professional athletes who are actually out there doing the hard work and dedicating their lives to the sport. Well ff the player you're insulting is a "bum" or a "loser", then what does that make you? A huge hypocrite.

I think of the time when Paul McCallum missed that kick in the Grey Cup, and "fans" dumped cow sh*t on his lawn. How can any logical person do that?

Funniest part was they missed and dumped it on his neighbour's lawn lol.
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#37 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Drama queen. Been on a line with Kesler too long
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#38 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

You're an amazing lip reader. I'm sorry, I don't mean to spark a debate but it just goes to show from the other posts how uptight the irreligious people on this board are. From David Booth's comments, none of which are religous -> religious debate.

I sweat to go man I saw it

#39 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

There wasn't much of a battle whenever booth, ballard, malhotra and raymond are on the ice...10 + mill to spend better somewhere else

Yeah you like a player who does individual plays then just shoot at a distance, who also cant pass for 4+ mil for fews more years.

or kesler........ and LOL 4 players = 10 million? remember how Sundin himself was 10 mill? HA.

#40 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Doesn't change the fact he did crap all...

#41 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

I wonder what the rest of the team thinks of having a bible thumper in the room ?
Not sure if Booth is going full voodoo like Joe-Boo in Major League or if he's keeping his faith out of the room.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#42 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

David probably should stop being so cerebral and focused on paying the price to win games. I saw zero effort from him, (7 shots, 1 assist , -1) in five game ? :blink: Yeah L.A. is good but In the end they just wanted it more and were willing to pay the price.
I believe the Canucks beat themselves and truly, deeply in the back of their minds they didn't want to go through the effort they did last year to possibly lose again.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#43 Sami Solo

Sami Solo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm surprised he didn't say it was all part of God's plan or something..

I wish I could be an athlete getting 4 mil. For that price you'd expect something. I have no pity for these guys. Their performance was disgusting

#44 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Please tell me me where exactly I said that. I can post comments without attacking people, can you say the same?

Sure:

the bolded parts are "I pay your salary". The italicised parts are "screw you".

Lol. At the end of the reg season you saw all the teams who didn't make the playoffs thank their fans. They used twitter and the media to send personalized "thank you" messages for the fans. This is what we get? A veiled "screw you". Ya, thanks. Thanks to Canucks fans for paying some of the highest tickets prices in the NHL, and selling out the arena consecutively more than any other NHL fanbase. In turn, it allowed Canucks org. to spend to the cap every year, employ sleep Dr.'s and nutritionists for the players enjoyment. Thanks for that David Booth, and thanks for the wonderful $4.3M season you gave us.

I'd say I understated. Was I being mean spirited? Sure. I'd say that your post is pretty venomous itself though. If you write something like that, you're going to get some unfriendly responses.

I honestly think the team is better off if it doesn't have to go through Vancouver's end of the year tantrum.

I don't think his post is a veiled 'screw you'. But even if it was, he's not a comic book villain, and there would have to be some reasons that lead him to say this.

fan A: hey Booth! You suck! Your team sucks!
Booth: that's easy for you to say, and a veiled screw you
fan A: how DARE you say that!

I've also reported you.

hehe... you know, there's an obvious joke here, involving the reputation of the Canucks

#45 Sami Solo

Sami Solo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

This crap is exactly what Booth is talking about - it's easy to be armchair GM (like you are right now), but the real battle is fought on ice, not on CDC.

I'm sorry but for what these guys are getting paid, that effort was BS call it whatever you like even excuse it. The fact of the matter is their effort was just plain pathetic. I couldn't afford to take the time off work to go down an watch the game. I'm glad I didn't. When you pay big money. You expect a good effort. There wasn't one this series. The better team won. If he didn't like it play harder or don't play at all. Wish I could get paid millions to do a job I love and put in a total crap effort. A guy can dream I guess

#46 Oh Whisht

Oh Whisht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

There was no reference whatsoever to Christianity in that speech. I don't have a problem with DB making it either. All year, you (we) complain about the media dumping on our team, then when someone (DB) posts what he did, you jump on him. I think he's right. It's easy to sit at home, criticizing the moves that MG makes, the players AV plays, and everything every player does. It is NOT so easy to be the ones out there, actually playing the game.

Our team may have lost in the playoffs, but they did give us a great season overall. And, as someone pointed out above, the sun still rose this morning.

#47 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

I agree that technically the players don't owe anybody anything, except maybe they owe putting in the effort for their coach and teammates - but by the same token I, as a fan, don't owe them anything either. Some people just can't afford the sky high prices for the tickets and fan gear, I can, but decided to spend my money elsewhere this year after witnessing some very sub-par hockey. If people were actually smart enough, they would do the same. Those that go to hockey games and later complain about the price have the option not to go. And maybe if enough people actually followed through on their anger, the team could feel the wrath and play a few games in a mostly empty arena. Then they would see that maybe they do need us as much as we need them and that this relationship goes both ways. This is why Toronto pisses me off so much, always complaining about the team and yet every game is sold out. Well then, you get what you pay for.

As for Booth and his tweets, it's clear they can rub people the wrong way, but talking about how hockey player careers cannot be compared to other jobs and are oh so hard and we just can't understand what it's like, blah blah - listen, it's a sport - it requires unparalleled physical fitness and discipline. It is hard on the body, it causes injuries. It also pays a lot of money. I enjoy it and respect it, but don't act like it's something more important than doctors, scientists, engineers or teachers who get paid squat all for carrying our future on their shoulders. I am sorry but professional sports doesn't compare. He is paid 4.5 mil to win hockey games and my old man got paid 35,000 to teach 150 teenagers every day. And when his job was on the line he sure as hell wasn't sitting around quoting Teddy Roosevelt.

#48 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

POPULAR

Booth quoted Theodore Roosevelt on twitter today, as seen below:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
https://twitter.com/#!/D_Booth7

As harsh as it may sound, he speaks the truth. It's easy for us to make accusations, analyze, and dissect this team from the sidelines, but we'll never really know what it actually takes to get the job done on the ice. It sucks being a cold, timid soul lol. He's probably gonna take some flak for this though

First of all, "he" doesn't speak the truth. He's co-opting the words of others, words, by the way, used in the harsh circumstances of war and attrition, not the glorified millionaires' club which is the NHL players' communion.

Second of all, of course we don't know what it takes. But then, we don't get paid $4 million to find out. Booth doesn't know what it takes, either, since he has his $$ and is able to play golf and work out during the next 4 months. Wish I had all that time off.

Thirdly, the critic DOES count. It's often the critics who hold the so-called "doers" to a higher level, to accountability.

So bite me, Booth. You didn't earn your money this year. Use the off-season to learn how to play within a team concept. Apparently, 5 1/2 months during the regular season and playoff wasn't enough.

#49 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm surprised he didn't say it was all part of God's plan or something..

Real classy with the Christian bashing.

Why don't you just stick to commenting on hockey!

#50 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

This crap is exactly what Booth is talking about - it's easy to be armchair GM (like you are right now), but the real battle is fought on ice, not on CDC.

Well, then, they lost the battle. So what do the fans, who ultimately pay for Booth's salary say then?. "Good job"? "Nice try"? Horsebleep. He underperformed, as did many Canucks. To excuse that, or to say "we'll get 'em next time" is just excusing poor performance. Try doing that in the real job world and see how it goes down with clients.

Edited by Barry_Wilkins, 23 April 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#51 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,653 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

POPULAR

I was trying all day to keep my temper under wraps and then he tweeted that and I fricken blew up! Started swearing and the whole works lol

I don't like his attitude. Stop being philosophical about defeat. Reality is he's being paid $4.25 million to do a job and he didn't do it. He didn't even come close to doing it. Quoting the Bible or famous figures isn't going to help justify his play and lack of effort.

I can understand that sometimes in life we can do all we want and we still won't get a desired result. I'm a hockey player too and there have been times where I've poured my heart and soul into a game or season or tournament and, when we lost, it devastated me.

But there has to be an accountability and a recognition of what went wrong. Booth doesn't seem to be overly hard on himself for failures. He just chalks it up to "the will of God". I'm not ok with a guy making that much money being satisfied to pass off blame to a higher authority

/end rant.........wow that felt good
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#52 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Funniest part was they missed and dumped it on his neighbour's lawn lol.

LOL
Posted Image

#53 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

yeah paying 4.25 mil for 0G, 1A, -1

tied for 10th on the team in shots with hansen (1.35m), pahlsson (2.65m) and tavev (0.9m)
(7 shots in 5 games)

oh yeah.. hes so exciting

He had i believe 10 shots vs Edmonton
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#54 speedyglass

speedyglass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

Booth seems like a bit of a flake. I don't think he has what it takes to be a winner.

I was really disappointed when he was going through a slump and, in trying to put everything in perspective, he comes up with something like, "hockey doesn't define me as a person". Screw that, you're getting paid over 4 million dollars a year to represent this team and I should hope you'd realize that ,yes, hockey does define you.

#55 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Sounds like a shot at the media, unless he reads CDC - only then could it be a shot at the fans :lol:

#56 lf16

lf16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

POPULAR

Quoting the Bible or famous figures isn't going to help justify his play. He just chalks it up to "the will of God". I'm not ok with a guy making that much money being satisfied to pass off blame to a higher authority

Ok um... What? First off exactly when did he blame a higher authority for the playoffs? Also, when did this country change the Charter of rights and freedoms to give everyone free speech unless your a professional athlete? Also, we are interpreting his meaning of the quote, we don't know how he feels and we certainly don't have a right to criticize him for his religious beliefs which he didn't even mention in this quote.

#57 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

People with maturity are out in full force tonight. I compared my career to his --- where exactly? I stated both careers were under public scrutiny, which is accurate. When any person accepts a career which is under constant public scrutiny, you have to think long and hard about what that means - and if you're up for the challenge.

Also, this whole 'real fan', 'fake fan' stuff is pretty funny. A person can offer constructive criticism, but they aren't a real fan? So if my parents tell me my car is ugly, they must hate me? Please. This is real life here.

You did somehow compare your siutation to his.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#58 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

First of all, "he" doesn't speak the truth. He's co-opting the words of others, words, by the way, used in the harsh circumstances of war and attrition, not the glorified millionaires' club which is the NHL players' communion.

Second of all, of course we don't know what it takes. But then, we don't get paid $4 million to find out. Booth doesn't know what it takes, either, since he has his $$ and is able to play golf and work out during the next 4 months. Wish I had all that time off.

Thirdly, the critic DOES count. It's often the critics who hold the so-called "doers" to a higher level, to accountability.

So bite me, Booth. You didn't earn your money this year. Use the off-season to learn how to play within a team concept. Apparently, 5 1/2 months during the regular season and playoff wasn't enough.

Yea, tell him to bite you...awesome.

They don't owe you anything.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#59 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

For god sakes, this is a game. Yes you want to win and such but wow, somepeoples' maturity just fell of the planet.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

#60 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

I agree that technically the players don't owe anybody anything, except maybe they owe putting in the effort for their coach and teammates - but by the same token I, as a fan, don't owe them anything either. Some people just can't afford the sky high prices for the tickets and fan gear, I can, but decided to spend my money elsewhere this year after witnessing some very sub-par hockey. If people were actually smart enough, they would do the same. Those that go to hockey games and later complain about the price have the option not to go. And maybe if enough people actually followed through on their anger, the team could feel the wrath and play a few games in a mostly empty arena. Then they would see that maybe they do need us as much as we need them and that this relationship goes both ways. This is why Toronto pisses me off so much, always complaining about the team and yet every game is sold out. Well then, you get what you pay for.

As for Booth and his tweets, it's clear they can rub people the wrong way, but talking about how hockey player careers cannot be compared to other jobs and are oh so hard and we just can't understand what it's like, blah blah - listen, it's a sport - it requires unparalleled physical fitness and discipline. It is hard on the body, it causes injuries. It also pays a lot of money. I enjoy it and respect it, but don't act like it's something more important than doctors, scientists, engineers or teachers who get paid squat all for carrying our future on their shoulders. I am sorry but professional sports doesn't compare. He is paid 4.5 mil to win hockey games and my old man got paid 35,000 to teach 150 teenagers every day. And when his job was on the line he sure as hell wasn't sitting around quoting Teddy Roosevelt.

Fantastic post all around, and I especially agree with your point about how maybe fans should stop going to the games and let the Canucks experience tons of empty seats and a break in their sellout streak. However, it won't happen. It's cool to go to a game and half the people don't even care either way. They'll go and if they care just enough to not be satisfied with a bad effort, then they'll complain. Teams like the Canucks and the Leafs are truly safe from revenue setbacks, no matter how the team performs. That's what sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.