Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Eye Opening Article

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#31 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

can schneider handle the workload in the big league, stats are stats, but roberto is proven he can handle the wear and grind of the reg season and deep into the playoffs. Schneider has one playoff win.

Y U no come to the Canucks, Corey Perry? :(

#32 Revolutionary

Revolutionary

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing and expecting a different result?

By this logic shouldn't MG trade, not re-sign or waive the entire team? It seems ridiculous to me to blame Luongo for all of it...

#33 6string

6string

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

a solid article, however this has been discussed in forums or speculated by media recently, the vancouver media ( i seldom read or view ) maybe haven't, but around the league it has been brought up, will they deal schneider instead?

at some point a gm realizes who is your marquis player of the future, the cornerstone of your franchise an un-moveable part and at some point they will elevate or permit regular minutes for this coveted prize, my guess: it is corey schneider!

to add parts to the team, they are gonna have to create some cap space and make BETTER deals than gillis has done in the past, i can see up to 6 players from this current roster to be gone next year, this core's cycle has a shelf life of about 2 - 4 more years to win the cup.

an opinion from outside of the box, but that's how i see it.

#34 Vaeneir

Vaeneir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Save Percentage Of Final Playoff Game:

2009 - .767
2010 - .857
2011 - .850
2012 - .946

If we have to win in the next 2 years, I'd rather try it with Schneider.

Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing and expecting a different result?

By that logic, Detroit should've trade Steve Yzerman, Boston should've parted ways with Tim Thomas, and Pittsburgh should've dropped Crosby on his ass the minute they lost to Detroit. In fact, they should still drop Crosby and get rid of that useless bum Malkin while they're at it, they haven't won a Cup in over what, 3 years now?

It's obviously not working, so why stop at Luongo, let's blow up the whole team!!! Sign Andre Agassi, quit the NHL and start a professional tennis franchise! This hockey thing just isn't working out.

#35 hongcouver

hongcouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Yes the time to win is now.

Unfortunately Buttman still hold the keys to the kingdom and as long as he does, I think it's safe to say it's extremely unlikely a Canadian team is going to be winning a Stanley Cup any time soon.

I wish it weren't true, but wishing doesn't change anything.

For those of you who don't think hockey is "fixed" you only have to go back to the American/Canadian Women's Gold Medal Game at the 2002 Winter Olympics for evidence that it is.

You'll recall the AMERICAN ref calling EIGHT consecutive penalties against Canada, many of them utterly ridiculous in nature. Despite the obvious shaft job in progress, our ladies managed to outplay the other team, and the ref, to win gold.

Could the Canucks win a Cup while Hairy Buttman is in charge? Only if they play WAY over their heads and overcome the blatantly biased officiating which always accompanies a Final they may appear in.
They have to do what the Women's team did in 2002 and win by SHEAR WILL

This team doesn't have near enough of that now. If I were Gillis that would be my main objective this off season. Bring in players who are willing to DIE to win... it's like the scene in Wrath of Grapes where Don is talking to the Colorado GM and saying he wants to play Ron Delorme instead of (some alleged star who has no heart), because "those guys win you games!"

We need a team loaded with guys like that because we not only have to beat the other team(s) we have to beat the league too.

Is it reasonable to assume that Gary Bettman controls who wins the Stanley Cup? This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. The NHL has lost money this year because there is less Canadian teams playing playoff games. Less viewers and lower ratings. Gary Bettman runs the NHL like a business. You should learn some economics. BTW, Gary Bettman doesn't control the women's hockey championship either, it is an unpaid independent international board completely disconnected from the NHL.

Go back to saluting barack obama and waiting for change to come..

#36 MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Is it reasonable to assume that Gary Bettman controls who wins the Stanley Cup? This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. The NHL has lost money this year because there is less Canadian teams playing playoff games. Less viewers and lower ratings. Gary Bettman runs the NHL like a business. You should learn some economics. BTW, Gary Bettman doesn't control the women's hockey championship either, it is an unpaid independent international board completely disconnected from the NHL.

Go back to saluting barack obama and waiting for change to come..

I believe the refs have assignments sometimes to develop or continue story lines. Also, is it just a coincidence that teams that have not won the cup in awhile are making it into the finals? Best way IMO to boost a fanbase is having their team go deep in the playoffs. Look at the western conference atm, all four teams have never won a stanley cup. Furthermore, no matter how bad Canadian teams perform, the market is always big. On the other hand, they have to develop a stronger fanbase in some cities in USA. What do you know? No Canadian team has won the cup since 1993.
If there are examples of fixing, such as 2002 womens olypmic finals or the NBA (Donaghy), for sure the NHL would copy. (Afterall, the world is full of copycats) If the NHL can fix games to make more money, they surely will.
Heres an interesting video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3sYMISTsPU

Edited by MaxLapierreAwesomeFace, 30 April 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#37 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yes the time to win is now.

Unfortunately Buttman still hold the keys to the kingdom and as long as he does, I think it's safe to say it's extremely unlikely a Canadian team is going to be winning a Stanley Cup any time soon.

I wish it weren't true, but wishing doesn't change anything.

For those of you who don't think hockey is "fixed" you only have to go back to the American/Canadian Women's Gold Medal Game at the 2002 Winter Olympics for evidence that it is.

You'll recall the AMERICAN ref calling EIGHT consecutive penalties against Canada, many of them utterly ridiculous in nature. Despite the obvious shaft job in progress, our ladies managed to outplay the other team, and the ref, to win gold.

Could the Canucks win a Cup while Hairy Buttman is in charge? Only if they play WAY over their heads and overcome the blatantly biased officiating which always accompanies a Final they may appear in.
They have to do what the Women's team did in 2002 and win by SHEAR WILL

This team doesn't have near enough of that now. If I were Gillis that would be my main objective this off season. Bring in players who are willing to DIE to win... it's like the scene in Wrath of Grapes where Don is talking to the Colorado GM and saying he wants to play Ron Delorme instead of (some alleged star who has no heart), because "those guys win you games!"

We need a team loaded with guys like that because we not only have to beat the other team(s) we have to beat the league too.

Yeah Gillis is gonna bring back Torres.

#38 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I believe the refs have assignments sometimes to develop or continue story lines. Also, is it just a coincidence that teams that have not won the cup in awhile are making it into the finals? Best way IMO to boost a fanbase is having their team go deep in the playoffs. Look at the western conference atm, all four teams have never won a stanley cup. Furthermore, no matter how bad Canadian teams perform, the market is always big. On the other hand, they have to develop a stronger fanbase in some cities in USA. What do you know? No Canadian team has won the cup since 1993.
If there are examples of fixing, such as 2002 womens olypmic finals or the NBA (Donaghy), for sure the NHL would copy. (Afterall, the world is full of copycats) If the NHL can fix games to make more money, they surely will.
Heres a interesting video:

Yeah its run like the WWF. The call it game management now a days.

#39 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

2009 - .767
2010 - .857
2011 - .850
2012 - .946

I still can't see how anyone could think Luongo is the man for our team right now.
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#40 hongcouver

hongcouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yeah its run like the WWF. The call it game management now a days.

Heres an interesting video:

No it's not a coincidence that new teams are now making it to the finals. Teams who finish high get crappy draft picks and teams that finish at the bottom get great picks who will become great players. The system is simple and has nothing to do with refs and other motives. Do I think that some refs have their own personal vendetta, yes, but that doesn't mean that there is a conspiracy whereby all refs gather and plan whats gonna be called and who's gonna score goals. Some refs such as Auger are an exception to the rule but the Canucks and other Canadian teams only have themselves to blame for not winning the cup. Canucks and oilers were both very close the past 10 years

#41 TrippleOverTime

TrippleOverTime

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

2009 - .767
2010 - .857
2011 - .850
2012 - .946

And two play off games does it for you Eh?

#42 Day one

Day one

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Nothing new here.

The Nucks big chance was last year.  They didn't get it done and now have made changes that leave them without an identity.  They are caught between upgrades and rebuilding and appear to be making things up as they go.

Not likely they will be favorites again for many years to come.

naw, we'll probably pull it together for next year, only to have the season end in March with a player walkout when contract negotiations fail. Not that we've seen that movie before . . .

#43 ruffdeezy

ruffdeezy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Luongo has been great, but honestly after that Chicago series and then Boston, he gave me the uneasy Cloutier feeling.

Gillis seems to know what he is doing so I think I'm not gonna worry too much.

#44 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

I think the fact that we suffocate our young players under AV's system will assure us that we will never have any "gems" come through our ranks. Don't know about you guys but I'm sensing a hint of snide arrogance in our core group starting with management. Something doesn't seem right to me. Where has AV been?? Has anyone heard a word from him after the last game?

#45 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm actually quite excited about a few of Vancouver's prospects and see their future as a bright spot. Kevin Connauton is getting real close to being NHL ready. I'm also impressed with Nicholas Jensens progress. But one player I'm following with great intrigue is Alexander Grenier. A 6'5" right winger with similar numbers to Jensen. He too, seems to be only a couple of years away if he keeps progressing.
I see their window staying open for years to come. Of course the Sedins decline and subsequent retirement will affect the team; but, in my opinion, not terribly. When they start their decline, they will drop to second line status and so on, relinquishing top line duties to younger, faster players.

#46 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Six seasons. Five Northwest Division titles. Two Presidents’ Trophies. A Stanley Cup Finals appearance. Two Vezina nominations. One Hart Trophy nomination. One Lester B. Pearson nomination. One Jennings Trophy. Two team MVPs. A record of 224-115-41. A goals-against-average of 2.35. A save percentage of .920.

YOU ARE MISSING THE ONE TROPHY THAT ONLY COUNTS!

#47 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Not eye opening at all. What he said most hard core Canucks fans should already know.

The window of opportunity is with Sedins here. We know that.

"We are nowhere like the Red wings."

Look at the standings the past 2 seasons. We finished way ahead of them.

"They draft gems" yes true and we are hoping to do the same one day with a late pick, however, the Redwings have yet to draft a "gem" since 1999, that has the potential to be like Zetterberg or a Datsyuk. Honestly, we see Zetterberg and Datsyuik, they have good players too, Holmstrom, Franzen, but honestly, Henrik and Pavel Dastyuk, stands out the most, and they haven't really drafted an all star player since Zetterberg.

"We don't have a Lidstrom."

No sh!@ Einstein, He's one of the best of all time, and we came 1 win short last year, without a "Lidstrom." Personally I would love for us to go after Suter, because he is Vezina calibre, and can take us over the top. But from the sounds of it, it sounds like he's a huge Luongo fan, which is totally fine with me. But is not eye opening at all.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#48 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Game 7 we were SHUTOUT...who gets shutout in a game 7 for the freakin cup?!  That is pathetic.  Thats like a team only getting a field goal in a Superbowl, chances are you not winning.  People think it was 4-0 in the first 10mins of game 7 when that was not the case.  I think it was only 1-0 or 2-0 going into the 3rd, and we couldn't even get 1.

1st Period
14:37  BOS Patrice Bergeron (5) Snap - ASST: B. Marchand (8)  

2nd Period
12:13  BOS Brad Marchand (10) Backhand - ASST: D. Seidenberg (9) AND M. Recchi (9)  
17:35  BOS SHG - Patrice Bergeron (6) Wrist - ASST: D. Seidenberg (10) AND G. Campbell (3)

We were down 3-0 before the 3rd started. Boston was too tight of a team for our heavily injured team to expect to score 4 on...

...let alone 9.

Edited by D-Money, 01 May 2012 - 09:04 AM.

Posted Image

#49 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

By that logic, Detroit should've trade Steve Yzerman, Boston should've parted ways with Tim Thomas, and Pittsburgh should've dropped Crosby on his ass the minute they lost to Detroit. In fact, they should still drop Crosby and get rid of that useless bum Malkin while they're at it, they haven't won a Cup in over what, 3 years now?

It's obviously not working, so why stop at Luongo, let's blow up the whole team!!! Sign Andre Agassi, quit the NHL and start a professional tennis franchise! This hockey thing just isn't working out.

If you haven't been paying attention, Boston is about to send Thomas packing. That's a goalie who has got it done before, beyond what Luongo has done, but they are letting him go to let the young upstart take over. This despite posting a 2.14 GAA and .923 save percentage over 7 games. In fact, for the past FIVE years, Thomas had better stats every year (often SUBSTANTIALLY), regular season and playoffs

So why does Boston let him go? Why do they not just trade Rask, and do everything they can to make Thomas happy and take another run with him? ...Because it's time...and because they believe that Rask can get it done for less money, over a longer term, and with less drama surrounding him.

Had Thomas crapped the bed in the final anwhere near the point that Luongo did, he probably would have been traded last year, and we would all be singing Lu's praises...but that is not what happened. Had Rask consistently outperformed Thomas in his starts (as Schneider has here), he probably would have been given the reigns much sooner.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.