Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Should The Canucks Have Traded For Mike Richards? Did We Miss Out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 MikeGillis58

MikeGillis58

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,482 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

The Los Angeles Kings got Mike Richards for Wayne Simmons, Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd Round Draft Pick. I'm sure the Canucks could have offered an equal package of Mason Raymond, Cody Hodgson, and our 1st Round Pick to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Imagine this as the Canucks line up heading into the 2011/12 playoffs.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alex Burrows
David Booth - Mike Richards - Ryan Kesler
Chris Higgins - Samuel Pahlsson - Jannik Hansen
Manny Malhotra - Maxim Lapierre - Dale Weise

Dan Hamhuis - Kevin Bieksa
Alex Edler - Sami Salo
Keith Ballard - Chris Tanev

Roberto Luongo
Cody Schneider

Ryan Kesler could have moved to the wing and focus only on scoring, while the Kings could have been much weaker without Mike Richards on their team.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

Richards cap hit is $5.75m. How did we manage to fit that in by losing Raymonds $2.55m and Hodgsons $1.66m ($4.21m total)

on top of which, he earns $8.4m next year..........

Edited by topbananas, 04 May 2012 - 03:22 AM.

stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#3 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,018 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

It drives me nuts when people suggest we put Kesler on the wing. It is like suggesting people put Toews or Datsyuk on the wings, "because they can then focus only on scoring". These are not 1-dimensional guys. Rather, they're the most reliable defensive players in the league, and they're all really good at taking faceoffs. MG58, it's not personal, but you armchair GM all the time so I don't know why you'd suggest this. It's madness to take one of the league's best defensive centres (last year's top guy, mind you) out of his natural position. Simply put, it is NOT worth the extra 10 goals and 10 assists he'll get.

In relation to your proposal, it's crazy to put the less reliable centre there. Unless he's improved, he's never had a very good f/o%, and I don't think he's gotten a single Selke nomination. It made sense for Cody Hodgson to replace Malhotra's role. It makes absolutely no sense for Richards to replace Kesler's role. I think you are underestimating his defensive capabilities and the value that brings to the team's success.

The proposal itself seems sound, but I think you need to factor in Richard's colossal contract. That was a serious risk that LA took, one that Gillis has stated he doesn't want to go for.

#4 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Richards isn't exactly much less reliable than Kesler. it's Kesler's fault people want him on the wing, because all he did this season was shoot the puck. Ideally, you want a passer who uses his wingers as the center. Even then, this would not be a big issue because Mike Richards can play on the wing even if Kesler can't. It's really a non issue.

Now, the problem with the trade would be that the Canuck's do not have Wayne Simmonds. Every team would die to have a guy like him. He's not the fastest or most skilled guy, but he flashes character like no other. Always involved, and always working his butt off and is only 23. The guy, statistically had a better season than Richards. Add the fact that Hodgson was coming off a back surgery, there simply isn't equal value. So, that alone, should end the discussion.

Edited by Rey, 04 May 2012 - 04:15 AM.

#5 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

I agree, except Richards is one of the few guys (Datsyuk, Staal (you pick which one) ?) who is a better two way centre than Kesler...

The cap would have been the killer though, not practical.

However, what drives me nuts is the concept that its beyond comprehension to have his offensive role relegated... Staal for the Penguins picks up the #1 defensive match up 100% of the time from the 3rd line... And he plays a ton of minutes...

It drives me nuts when people suggest we put Kesler on the wing. It is like suggesting people put Toews or Datsyuk on the wings, "because they can then focus only on scoring". These are not 1-dimensional guys. Rather, they're the most reliable defensive players in the league, and they're all really good at taking faceoffs. MG58, it's not personal, but you armchair GM all the time so I don't know why you'd suggest this. It's madness to take one of the league's best defensive centres (last year's top guy, mind you) out of his natural position. Simply put, it is NOT worth the extra 10 goals and 10 assists he'll get.

In relation to your proposal, it's crazy to put the less reliable centre there. Unless he's improved, he's never had a very good f/o%, and I don't think he's gotten a single Selke nomination. It made sense for Cody Hodgson to replace Malhotra's role. It makes absolutely no sense for Richards to replace Kesler's role. I think you are underestimating his defensive capabilities and the value that brings to the team's success.

The proposal itself seems sound, but I think you need to factor in Richard's colossal contract. That was a serious risk that LA took, one that Gillis has stated he doesn't want to go for.

#6 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Well, if we did miss out there isn't much that can be done about it now and we are really screwed, no?

Actually, we should also discuss if we missed out on the whole Coho trade, since no one brought it up yet.

#7 krazysl

krazysl

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

I dont think M Richards and kesler like eachother. We need to trade for a playmaking winger with speed...... yakupov for schneider

#8 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

It's not like we replace Kesler at the centre by a nobody. Richards is also good defensively. Seguin, Carter, Briere, Schenn, Couturier, Giroux, all natural centerman that has played on the wing. And yet it worked for both the Flyers and the Bruins.

And for the record when Datsyuk is paired with Zetterberg, it's Zetterberg who takes the faceoff and center position.

Why are we so afraid of moving Kesler to the wing? We we're afraid to split burrows and Kesler. We we're afraid of putting Kesler and Burrows in the top 6. Look how those experiment turned out. I'm nut saying put Andrew Ebbet in the center of Kesler, but someone like Richards, it would be worth it.

#9 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

Stopped reading at 'Mason Raymond'.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Datsyuk and toews are completely different players, and excellent passers themselves. Its difficult having a center who does not pass, and its a problem. Kesler even last year did it all himself, this year it did not work, he couldnt one man his way through the defense and bury goals. If he starts passing more, or using his line mates those suggestions will dissipate. If not, and it does not suit his style, he should be moved to wing.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 04 May 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#11 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

mike richards for mason raymond, cody hodgson, andrew alberts

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#12 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

I wonder if Kesler works on his passing this summer if he's not doing his normal rehab offseason.that is. When he worked on his shot a few offseasons ago it became 5 times better.
http://Posted Image

#13 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

You're Mike GillIs, you tell us...

Edited by six-0h-four-, 04 May 2012 - 08:22 AM.

Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#14 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Man, maybe we should just trade for every guy who scores a goal. Richards had a brutal regular season, but now that he's scored a couple in the playoffs suddenly he would be the saviour of our team? Ridiculous.

#15 canIcrytoo

canIcrytoo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

ahh the age old classic tale of "what if" helping people not solve problems since day 1.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you

Posted Image

#16 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

I wonder if Kesler works on his passing this summer if he's not doing his normal rehab offseason.that is. When he worked on his shot a few offseasons ago it became 5 times better.

Don't you realize that his problem isn't that he CAN'T pass, it's that he WON'T? What he needs to work on is his head.

#17 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

Kesler's ego has gotten to big to pass the puck. Let alone bringing in a player to usurp is 2nd line centre spot.

#18 Fell

Fell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

$6,600,000 for 18-26-44. I don't think fans here would have been happy with that.

Edited by Fell, 04 May 2012 - 09:20 AM.

Loyal Canuck fan since July 28, 1997

#19 kacholu

kacholu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

No thank you!!!
His contracts is for another 40 years.

#20 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I could make 15 of these could of should of threads

#butIwon't

#21 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

I can't believe nobody's said it yet......
Mason Raymond had a broken back at the time. Simmons didn't, how would we equal that trade?
So no we didn't miss out.

#22 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

How are those players anywhere close to being the same value?
Posted Image

#23 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

If we missed out on anyone, it's Brown.

But as others have said. We could make dozens of these threads...

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#24 nwo

nwo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Richards? No thanx we don't need racists on our team.

#25 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

For most of the regular season,Richards was a non factor....a big underachiever compared to the impact that Schenn and Simmonds had for the Flyers.......Although now,the trade looks very good for both teams.

Holmgren would have wanted a lot more than Raymond,Coho and a low 1st.

#26 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

No, we don't need party animals with a bad attitude on the team. (I know it was never actually proven, but it seems like it's true)

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#27 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Could have, should have, doesn't matter now

#28 Zaid Mohamed

Zaid Mohamed

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

"I could make 15 of these could of should of threads"

-VanCityScout

'could of'? 'should of'? What's that supposed to mean?

Edited by Zaid Mohamed, 04 May 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#29 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

means just as it reads, Could have traded for him, maybe should have, doesn't matter now.
We will have more opportunity to get better players if Luo waives his NTC, or if MG trades Raymond, The mike Richards thing is a dead horse.

#30 Dale Weise's Dad

Dale Weise's Dad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

You're SURE they'd take Raymond + Hodgson + a low 1st?
YOU'RE SERIOUSLY SURE?
:picard:

Edited by 104% Body Fat, 04 May 2012 - 12:15 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.