The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Should Stop Looking At Raymonds Down Side

TACIC

I take issue with him having a "hard but inaccurate shot." 1) It doesn't look hard, and 2) is actually uncanny in its accuracy of finding the crest of all puck stoppers.

Seriously, the guy is a poster boy for what ails this team. Speedy, skilled, smallish player that won't hurt a fly, has no playoff gear and is totally devoid of elbow grease. If he's back I'll question the MG extension.

I'll take a late round pick for his rights but wouldn't be upset if we loose him for nothing.

hahahaha wow. really an upside where is this upside u speak of this is comical. he has played with henrick, kesler, manny, insert any other canucks centre who played with the club this year. so, what we are supposed to trade one of our centres to get someone for an underproducing 3rd line winger just because he has speed and a "hard shot". and as far as a hard shot i have a blast and i know lots of other guys on my beer league team that do to, doesn't mean that any of us should be pros. and as far as being timid then hockey isn't the sport for you, he's not the first guy to have any injury and come back. so princess needs to suck it up drink a cup of cement and harden up. i once again refer to this kids letter who asked him to stop sucking so bad, even he can see his down side.

if he wants to get back to being successful in the nhl he needs to work on getting rid of the puck in the offensive zone. hes good defensivly and great at moving the puck up the ice and gaining the zone but once he gets there he hangs on to it too long and loses it.

i think he still has a chance. he should go to a young team with a coach that coaches the players more.. av's you know what to do style doesnt work for him.

Unfortunately, many fail to see the same pattern in the play of players who are returning from injury. You can poke sticks at their play, but it does not change the fact that the psychological aspect of feeling re-injury may occur never leaves the mind of a player and subsequently, it hampers their play. It is obvious, Raymond, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard, Booth, Hamhuis, Salo etc, players who have been injured have taken/are taking a long time to get back to their old form. Case in point: Willie Mitchell (now a King) is just now starting to play at his old level after Malkin injured him 3 years ago. Sometimes it is just really tough for a player to make himself go into areas he knows could result in a replay of the same disaster.

It happens to every player but some fortunately get back to their level quicker than others. That is part of the game and no amout of complaining or being disdainful about a player will ever change a thing.

Just look what happens to Kesler each time he plays with reckless abandon. Once again he is injured. Ask yourself, did he get back to his level of great play after hip surgery. We all know the answer to that one don't we? C'est la vie in professional sports.

Raymond had the best shot after Samuelsson before he was injured. His shot was strong and accurate, and we still see flashes of that now:

How many players on our team is even capable of doing that? Not many. The problem is that he is very inconsistent. However, we know he can do this. Let him train again, let him get strong, and we can probably get another 09-10 form from him, even without PP time, barring another injury.

He's gotten injuries that seriously hinder the shot (thumb twice, and a broken spine hinders everything). Seriously, if Raymond can shoot like that above even after missing camp from a BROKEN SPINE, then we gotta be happy about what he can do when 100% healthy.

The past 2 years he has been mediocre in seasons filled with injuries, diminished/eliminated PP/ice time and Kesler's change to shoot first. PLEASE give him a chance.

that young argument gets worse and worse as he turns older and older

the good thing is , MG can probably get him for dirt cheap and even put him ona 2 way contract so if he does stink it up we can send him to chicago

If you cannot get anything for him in a trade,you may as well keep him....One thing that was evident in the first round against LA was that the Canucks were outmatched in the size/physical department...I think you'll see MG gravitate towards bigger players (Kassian was the start)..and away from small/finesse.

Archived