The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Jannik Hansen Ready For A Top-6 Role?

Dr Green Lawn

I was thinking of putting Hansen with the twins for all of next year. Remeber when Burr was hurt an he worked so well with them? I feel he has what it takes. He goes into corners, hits, and works real hard every shift. He's like a more gritty Burrows with more speed. If we get an awesome UFA or top 6 forward, our team is looking good up front.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Parise-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Lapierre-Kassian

Bitz-Malhotra-Weise

Don't think Booth fits on this team IMO. He and Kes don't work and nor does he work with the twins.

If he spent some time this offseason working on his shot and puck control.. I could see him surprising a lot of people come training camp challenging for a top 6 role. He's been consistently improving season after season and if anything he's just starting to hit his prime.

If not in the top-6 though, he can always go back to the 3rd line checking role he plays so well and maybe pot a few more goals this year?

20 goals for Hansen in 12-13!!

That's true but he is especially hard on rookies. Guys Ritchie was terrible defesively with a team low in minus and Cowan just plain sucks. So its just a tighter leash plus his bias towards certain players.

quick answer, no. He's a good 3rd line player, and should stay a 3rd liner IMO. If he ever makes his way up to a top six spot, he's going to have to work on his puck handling skills a little more.. He's quick, and isn't afraid to finish his checks, which i like, but he has hands of cement it seems. Good on him for having a career year, but his 3rd line role, is a good place for him to be.

Jannik is not a top 6 forward, its ok to be a fan and enjoy watching him play, but he is not a top 6 forward and thats ok. He is very solid in his role right now. You won't get a lot more out of him in terms of production unless he is playing the role of Anson Carter with Daniel and Henrik.

Regardless of whether he should be a top six forward and regardless of how effective he is on the third line, it needs to be said that

1) Hansen is the RW best suited to play with Kesler, by far, and

2) Hansen can play on any line.

A few years ago, when Burrows' career high in goals was 12, most probably would have said the same about him. And Kesler, for that matter, who was still a third line player at the time. Jannik Hansen scored more goals in a third line role than Burrows ever did! And, if you watched the few games this year that Burrows played on Pahlsson's line you probably thought, as I did, "wow, that line is a lot better with Burrows on it." Maybe Hansen, like Burrows, is a prototypical third-line player, but that doesn't mean it's where he can best help the team. Hansen is simply the best winger for Kesler that we have on the roster (except maybe for Burrows) - he can keep up and he has the inclination and ability to get the puck to Kesler - and he deserves a long look there.

The OP just said this was his career year with 16 goals and 23 assists. How can you say he should replace Raymond, who had 25 goals and 28 assists in his best year. Raymond is obviously a better fit for 2nd line. Yes, he had an off year and there are things about his game that aren't desirable, namely his size. But just because you are mad at Raymond for having a bad year doesn't mean a 3rd liner is going to be better than him. Hansen had some stints up with the second line this year. When it went cold he went back to the third and the 3rd line became more effective while the 2nd stayedd about the same. I like Hansen, but if he is on the 2nd line we are looking for top 6 forwards.. again.

Raymond's production tailed off because the team's production (absence Ehrhoff) and his linemate's (Kesler off year, Booth sucks) production have also tailed off. What does this tell you? Raymond is just riding the coat tails of his teammates. He is a point leech, he does not make the players around him better, nor can he do it himself.

Raymond's production tailed off because the team's production (absence Ehrhoff) and his linemate's (Kesler off year, Booth sucks) production have also tailed off. What does this tell you? Raymond is just riding the coat tails of his teammates. He is a point leech, he does not make the players around him better, nor can he do it himself.

I think he could be, but he is so damn good at being a third liner. He had 40 points this season on the third line... legit. He fights for the puck well and is defensively sound, but his ability to finish goals and stickhandling makes me sort of sad on the inside.

Archived