The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Shea Weber And Why He Is Ours

Shea Weber is 26 years old from Sicamous, B.C. He was 9 years old in 1994 when the Canucks lost the cup to the NYR. He was watching and it inspired him to enter the NHL. Drafted in 2003 with a 2nd round pick by the Nashville Predators the 6'4 234 two time Norris Defensemen will be an RFA this coming summer.

Shea Weber is as BC as they come and as clear as day his time in Nashville is reaching it's 10 year anniversary. This coming summer UFA Ryan Suter is suspected to walk, he has stated multiple times he wants to consider his family first and place in one place the rest of his life. Many have speculated this means unless Nashville offers a tremendous amount of money he may be gone, some believe no amount of money will keep him there.

After an embarrassing 2nd round exit it is clear Nashville may need to retool a bit more this summer, if Suter walks they may be even further away from a 2nd round playoff victory. Why does this involve Shea Weber? No one can say for sure, it could be the same reason Hamhuis' rights were traded to Philly and Pittsburg before he signed for an extremely fair contract in his home state, with all his friends and family watching every game he plays in. Shea Weber visited Vancouver for a fair amount of time both at the Olympics and last years Playoff series with Vancouver.

If Suter walks, Weber is soon to follow. There is no doubt Weber is going to follow what Hamhuis did and simply sign another cash contract and help a team that he knows is that close to a Stanley Cup. The writing is on the wall and if Mike Gillis can simply contact Shea Weber and say if Suter leaves he is prepared to trade Nashville tremendous assets to secure him a 10 year 70 million dollar contract. Weber will agree. It is that simple.

Roberto Luongo is also on his way out the door to make room for Weber and his monstrous contract. Why this makes the Weber trade so easy is we simply don't have any other options, TB is Luongo's home, TB is very close to winning a Stanley Cup as well, and Yzerman would be your GM. I really think Luongo simply put Toronto and Chicago on the list to piss of Gillis and send him a message. Luongo is destined to TB and that is certain. It is too much of a fit.

Why no player we could get from TB would be worth it.

Ryan Malone- old, tired, and has played with vinny his entire career, we need to get younger.

Teddy Purcell- No hits, plays with Stamkos of absolutely no value to us.

Brett Connolly and the picks are all we could use. And why bother drafting players when our time to win the cup is now. I am not saying the Sedins are going to get old, I am not saying Bieksa or Edler could blow up, and I am not saying Kesler or our bottom 6 or even Booth could evaporate.

I am saying we do not need our prospects, I am saying when you can get a pivotal player like Shea Weber you give the farm, as his value does not deteriorate, he is our Lidstrom once and for all. So with all that said here is the trade.

TB: Luongo, 1st, Malhotra, Connaughton

Van: Brett Connolly, 10th overall

Nsh: Edler, Jensen, Connolly, 10th overall

Van: Shea Weber

Sign Shea Weber to a 10 year 7 million a year extension.

Sign David Jones from Colorado for 2.75 million for 2 years

220 pounder from Poco, scored 27 goals last year, and 20 this year. He is the replacement for Raymond.

Sign Justin Schultz to a 2 year 0.800 million a year contract

Kelowna is his home town and he has specifically planned his career to choose where he plays, he wants to go home and he is what the Canucks needs. He is exactly like Tanev but even better. A fair price for a player that can develop into another 1st line D for us.

Sign Pahllson to a 2 year 1.75 million dollar a year contract

Not much needs to be said, could snipe and check like the veteran we need him to be, can take a pay cut and be a pivotal bottom 6 we have needed. Basically Sami Salo as a center.

Sign Schneider to a 3 year 3 million dollar a year contract

Nuff Said

Sign Weise, Rome, Gragnani, and Bitz to 800k for 2 years each

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Booth/Kesler/Kassian

Higgins/Lapierre/Jones

Bitz/Pahllson/Hansen

Hamhuis/Weber

Ballard/Bieksa

Schultz/Salo

Gragnani/Tanev/Rome

Schneider

Lack

Does TB do this? Yes, for two 1st round picks they get a franchise gold medal goalie with WCF experience, a 1st rounder, a 4th line center for a champion, and a prospect.

Does Nashville do this? Yes, Weber just needs to tell them.

Do we do this? I think we do guys, I know most of you are downers and will take pot shots like Ballard sucks even though he improved tremendously these playoffs. Truth is Weber plays 33 minutes a game, and is worth every single penny, he will mean Bieksa and Salo would split 13 minutes a game. With Schneider and Shultz emerging we can play the tough defense first style of hockey that will benefit from Jones and Kassian banging on the forecheck. The style that has emerged as King.

Do Bieksa and Ballard need to be as good as ever, yep

Do we have a solid 3rd line D pairing that can develop into a 1st line pairing? Yes.

Do we have a bottom 6 that can score 85 goals and get 1400 hits?

Higgins,Lapierre,Jones

Bitz,Pahllson,Hansen

YEP

Do we rely on Kassian filling some big shoes? No we don't there's no pressure on him to do anything but relax and learn how to be successful with Kesler and Booth.

Bon Apetit

Holy overpayment. What about this?

To Vancouver: Brett Connolly & the 10th overall pick

To Tampa: Roberto Luongo + Keith Ballard + 2012 2nd

-----------------

To Vancouver: Shea Weber

To Nashville: Brett Connolly + Kevin Bieksa + Manny Malhotra

------------------

To Vancouver: Jordan Staal

To Pittsburgh: David Booth + Tampa 2012 1st

Sign Parise (7 mill for 8 years) and Prust (2.15 mill for 2 years)

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Parise - Staal - Burrows

Higgins - Schroeder - Prust

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Tanev

Connauton - Schultz

Schneider

Lack

Cap has to go up to $70 million for it to work.

Huge overpayment. Weber is great but that is too much to give up imo. I truly believe that Lu is going to TB and we are going to get Vinny Lecavalier in return. Bad contract for bad contract. Plus we need a centerman until Kesler gets back and Vinny could slot in as our 2nd line center. Maybe when Kes gets back he could play wing.

Weber does not have a no trade clause so even if he went to GM Poile and said he wants to come to Vancouver, Poile will take the best deal on the table out of all the teams. And he would be even less likely to trade to their rival Canucks who we often meet in the playoffs.

I agree with everyone that it is a huge price you pay for Weber in your proposal but it would have to be ridiculous for them to trade Weber here.

Huge overpayment. Weber is great but that is too much to give up imo. I truly believe that Lu is going to TB and we are going to get Vinny Lecavalier in return. Bad contract for bad contract. Plus we need a centerman until Kesler gets back and Vinny could slot in as our 2nd line center. Maybe when Kes gets back he could play wing.

Edler is also a UFA at the end of next year. What makes Poile think Edler would sign long term in NSH. If Weber is UFA at the end of next year and Edler is also UFA. Why not keep Weber for another year and try to convince the captain to sign longterm isntead of trying to convince Edler to do the same..

I personally think Edler will not be going anywhere. He has a great future and it will be with the Canucks. If there is a way to get Weber here most likely it will be as a UFA at the end of next year.

Weber does not have a no trade clause so even if he went to GM Poile and said he wants to come to Vancouver, Poile will take the best deal on the table out of all the teams. And he would be even less likely to trade to their rival Canucks who we often meet in the playoffs.

I agree with everyone that it is a huge price you pay for Weber in your proposal but it would have to be ridiculous for them to trade Weber here.

Shea Weber is 26 years old from Sicamous, B.C. He was 9 years old in 1994 when the Canucks lost the cup to the NYR. He was watching and it inspired him to enter the NHL. Drafted in 2003 with a 2nd round pick by the Nashville Predators the 6'4 234 two time Norris Defensemen will be an RFA this coming summer.

Shea Weber is as BC as they come and as clear as day his time in Nashville is reaching it's 10 year anniversary. This coming summer UFA Ryan Suter is suspected to walk, he has stated multiple times he wants to consider his family first and place in one place the rest of his life. Many have speculated this means unless Nashville offers a tremendous amount of money he may be gone, some believe no amount of money will keep him there.

After an embarrassing 2nd round exit it is clear Nashville may need to retool a bit more this summer, if Suter walks they may be even further away from a 2nd round playoff victory. Why does this involve Shea Weber? No one can say for sure, it could be the same reason Hamhuis' rights were traded to Philly and Pittsburg before he signed for an extremely fair contract in his home state, with all his friends and family watching every game he plays in. Shea Weber visited Vancouver for a fair amount of time both at the Olympics and last years Playoff series with Vancouver.

If Suter walks, Weber is soon to follow. There is no doubt Weber is going to follow what Hamhuis did and simply sign another cash contract and help a team that he knows is that close to a Stanley Cup. The writing is on the wall and if Mike Gillis can simply contact Shea Weber and say if Suter leaves he is prepared to trade Nashville tremendous assets to secure him a 10 year 70 million dollar contract. Weber will agree. It is that simple.

Roberto Luongo is also on his way out the door to make room for Weber and his monstrous contract. Why this makes the Weber trade so easy is we simply don't have any other options, TB is Luongo's home, TB is very close to winning a Stanley Cup as well, and Yzerman would be your GM. I really think Luongo simply put Toronto and Chicago on the list to piss of Gillis and send him a message. Luongo is destined to TB and that is certain. It is too much of a fit.

Why no player we could get from TB would be worth it.

Ryan Malone- old, tired, and has played with vinny his entire career, we need to get younger.

Teddy Purcell- No hits, plays with Stamkos of absolutely no value to us.

Brett Connolly and the picks are all we could use. And why bother drafting players when our time to win the cup is now. I am not saying the Sedins are going to get old, I am not saying Bieksa or Edler could blow up, and I am not saying Kesler or our bottom 6 or even Booth could evaporate.

I am saying we do not need our prospects, I am saying when you can get a pivotal player like Shea Weber you give the farm, as his value does not deteriorate, he is our Lidstrom once and for all. So with all that said here is the trade.

TB: Luongo, 1st, Malhotra, Connaughton

Van: Brett Connolly, 10th overall

Nsh: Edler, Jensen, Connolly, 10th overall

Van: Shea Weber

Sign Shea Weber to a 10 year 7 million a year extension.

Sign David Jones from Colorado for 2.75 million for 2 years

220 pounder from Poco, scored 27 goals last year, and 20 this year. He is the replacement for Raymond.

Sign Justin Schultz to a 2 year 0.800 million a year contract

Kelowna is his home town and he has specifically planned his career to choose where he plays, he wants to go home and he is what the Canucks needs. He is exactly like Tanev but even better. A fair price for a player that can develop into another 1st line D for us.

Sign Pahllson to a 2 year 1.75 million dollar a year contract

Not much needs to be said, could snipe and check like the veteran we need him to be, can take a pay cut and be a pivotal bottom 6 we have needed. Basically Sami Salo as a center.

Sign Schneider to a 3 year 3 million dollar a year contract

Nuff Said

Sign Weise, Rome, Gragnani, and Bitz to 800k for 2 years each

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Booth/Kesler/Kassian

Higgins/Lapierre/Jones

Bitz/Pahllson/Hansen

Hamhuis/Weber

Ballard/Bieksa

Schultz/Salo

Gragnani/Tanev/Rome

Schneider

Lack

Does TB do this? Yes, for two 1st round picks they get a franchise gold medal goalie with WCF experience, a 1st rounder, a 4th line center for a champion, and a prospect.

Does Nashville do this? Yes, Weber just needs to tell them.

Do we do this? I think we do guys, I know most of you are downers and will take pot shots like Ballard sucks even though he improved tremendously these playoffs. Truth is Weber plays 33 minutes a game, and is worth every single penny, he will mean Bieksa and Salo would split 13 minutes a game. With Schneider and Shultz emerging we can play the tough defense first style of hockey that will benefit from Jones and Kassian banging on the forecheck. The style that has emerged as King.

Do Bieksa and Ballard need to be as good as ever, yep

Do we have a solid 3rd line D pairing that can develop into a 1st line pairing? Yes.

Do we have a bottom 6 that can score 85 goals and get 1400 hits?

Higgins,Lapierre,Jones

Bitz,Pahllson,Hansen

YEP

Do we rely on Kassian filling some big shoes? No we don't there's no pressure on him to do anything but relax and learn how to be successful with Kesler and Booth.

Bon Apetit

Wow, what a load.

As usual, CDC logic in regards to hometown boy Shea Weber arrogantly fails to allow for the possibility that the guy just might actually like it there in Music City and doesn't plan to leave.

noone on here knows if thats an "overpayment" because they just dont. im scared that could very well be the price.....

top d-men in the league:

1)lidstrom

2)chara

3)weber

4)keith

5)suter

6)seabrook

when lidstom retires everyone will move spot (i would definitely have pronger in the top 5 but with his future in limbo, i didnt add him to the list)

top defensemen almost never get traded...only chara on that list has been traded and that was before he established himself as a norris trophy candidate year in and year out

What does overpayment mean?

Did we overpay for Kassian? probably. the team that moves closer to a championship doesn't have the leverage, so it's almost always the case.

We trade 1 roster player for Weber, folks on here are just stupid.

Not directed at you at all.

Directed at people who wouldn't trade Edler and a few prospects yet to play in NHL games for the 2nd best D in the league.

I don't see how it can be overpayment in any scope either.

Nashville doesn't have the Sedins and Kesler, they don't have Burrows and Kassian. He'll be the all around top notch D we need.

That can play in any circumstance and ensure the winning goal.

As others have said, we overpay in both deals. Not to mention the first deal might not be able to be possible for Tampa since they could be close to the cap. If they are possible after considering cap, both Tampa and Nashville take those deals and run. I'm glad you aren't our GM.

Consider the Tampa deal. Luongo is worth more than Connelly. Despite his contract he's still one of the top goalies in the NHL (certainly top 10) and his cap hit is affordable. Our first is obviously worth less than the 10th overall, so those two components in the deal basically even out.

Even if they don't the difference isn't Malhotra and Connauton coming from our side. You'd think we were practically begging Tampa to take a goalie they so desperately need.

The Nashville deal would take a lot to get Weber, but they aren't downgrading substantially if they get Edler in return. For us to add in Jensen, Connelly and the 10th overall is insane since we don't really need a defenceman of Weber's caliber, it'd just be nice to have.

Consider what compensation for Weber would be with an offer sheet of one year at $7.8M (just under the top level): two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. Nashville wouldn't want to match $7.8M for one year since Weber would be a UFA at the end of that deal and they'd end up with the same situation they have now with Suter - very little trade value and a player likely to go to free agency rather than sign.

Which holds more value to us? Would you rather offer sheet Weber, losing two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd in the process, or trade Edler, Jensen, Connelly and the 10th overall to get him?

Yea I guess signing him as an rfa would be better in theory.

Why wait though, we wouldn't have the money for Edler, and Connolly has no place with Kassian, Burrows, and Jones.

I see your point.

is insane since we don't really need a defenceman of Weber's caliber, it'd just be nice to have.

Not directed at you at all.

Directed at people who wouldn't trade Edler and a few prospects yet to play in NHL games for the 2nd best D in the league.

I don't see how it can be overpayment in any scope either.

Nashville doesn't have the Sedins and Kesler, they don't have Burrows and Kassian. He'll be the all around top notch D we need.

That can play in any circumstance and ensure the winning goal.

Archived