The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

If I was the Commish of the NHL. I would make a rule that 20 years from now (2032) is a goal for all arenas to handle international sized rinks. The players are so big now, the only other option is to go to 4 on 4, but purists will freak on that.

A larger ice surface would make it harder to play the trap, but if clutching and grabbing isn't called you can still tie up a skilled player.

I think what we need is consistency in the rules. You shouldn't be changing the way the game is called 1/2 way into a season.

All though the game last night was better, still a ton of obstruction. I am not slamming Mitchell at all, but all the obstruction he is getting away with, he was not getting away with when he was a Canuck, or even last year as a King.

The amount of obstruction is pretty ridiculous but these games are not boring at all, what is with all you people saying you're not watching? Is it because the team that beat us is playing the Devils? Oh no, the Devils. They don't even trap any more, I can't believe people still hold a grudge against the Devils for playing defensive hockey and winning.

Totally agree...this years playoffs have been a total snoozefest. With the exception of the PITTS/PHI series...that was a beauty! lol They might as well have pulled their goalies the entire game and played 6 on 6 haha

The average Canucks playoff game on American TV last year should not do better than two American teams this year. People are not watching (even their own teams) because it's so boring.

Neither of these two teams get to the finals, w/o obstruction being allowed again.

Hey I just came from L.A. and I was so suprised to see that no one really cared if the Kings won or not, Not that many people where wearing Kings apparal (the whole week there I counted 3 !!!) When we arrived I asked the cab driver what he thought about the Kings in the cup final, His response was " Are they? " So I was thinking.....really? wow I really think bettman needs a reality check when i comes to some teams no wonder the Kings sucked so bad for years then get lucky one year and no one gives a crap when they make it. Blows my mind. Some Cities dont deserve to have teams when others are aching to win once in their lifetime......

Amazing with how bad the officiating was all playoffs, people in this thread are actually suggesting we create even more penalties for these barely competent refs to confuse them even more. That is not the answer at all. Look at goaltending equipment in the early '90s and now look at it now. It begins and ends there they are not stopping bullets they are stopping hockey pucks.

I remember when I was younger I used to watch the playoffs religiously. The series could be so exciting, even if it wasn't the Canucks. I know the Leafs are made fun of quite a bit on here, and I do it too, but their series were pretty interesting with all those classic Ontario clashes with Ottawa. Heck even Edmonton and Calgary, although I dislike those teams especially the latter, their run to the finals was exciting hockey and very interesting. This year's playoffs summed up where hockey is for me. I watched maybe 2 minutes of the whole final. I had zero interest in it. We've reverted completely back to 1999 when it was all about having a massive team, a good goaltender, and playing air-tight defense with a lot of clutching and grabbing. Boston winning the Stanley Cup showed that big teams were an advantage, L.A. just put an exclamation point on that theory. Sad fact is is that you have to have a huge team to win the cup. The NHL as a whole, is so far gone that another lockout could permanently damage the game in the United States that Bettman and his owners are all about building. It's a futile effort. Let their be open season on the cup and let's just see how exciting the hockey can be. Oh yeah, make the ice surface bigger. The players are too big and fast too fit into the NHL sized sheet. International sized ice will open up the game and reinforce the idea that hockey is and always should be a skill game.

Amazing with how bad the officiating was all playoffs, people in this thread are actually suggesting we create even more penalties for these barely competent refs to confuse them even more. That is not the answer at all. Look at goaltending equipment in the early '90s and now look at it now. It begins and ends there they are not stopping bullets they are stopping hockey pucks.

The last sentence was one of the most accurate statements I've ever read on here. Patrick Roy had really small equipment in 1993 and he put on a clinic. If these goaltenders are as athletic as everyone says they are, make the equipment smaller because they should still be able to stop the puck. But the massive equipment is not for protection, it's for puck stopping. But the league won't restrict it because the manufacturers will probably whine about it. This league could be so much better, but they just refuse to make changes to improve the product like the CFL does. Goaltending equipment is a huge problem and is suffocating the offensive talent of the league's top players. 21 players with 100+ points and 14 players with 50+ goals in 1992-93. This season one 100 point scorer and 2 50 goal scorers. That about sums it up.

I hate the larger ice surface. It actually makes the game more boring if you ask me. The Sedins would be even more difficult to watch with their perimeter play. Henrik wouldn't go within 30 feet of the net!

Taking my Canucks blinkers off for one minute (something most CDC'rs find it hard to do) I have to say that the last 3 games of the Finals were 3 of the best and most exciting games I have watched for a long time.

In fact I don't remember any of the Canucks v Bruins games matching them. (probably because the Canucks were so injured by then)

I do agree however the the playoffs over the whole were pretty boring with the exception of the Pens v Flyers games

The last sentence was one of the most accurate statements I've ever read on here. Patrick Roy had really small equipment in 1993 and he put on a clinic. If these goaltenders are as athletic as everyone says they are, make the equipment smaller because they should still be able to stop the puck. But the massive equipment is not for protection, it's for puck stopping. But the league won't restrict it because the manufacturers will probably whine about it. This league could be so much better, but they just refuse to make changes to improve the product like the CFL does. Goaltending equipment is a huge problem and is suffocating the offensive talent of the league's top players. 21 players with 100+ points and 14 players with 50+ goals in 1992-93. This season one 100 point scorer and 2 50 goal scorers. That about sums it up.

Why not allow all teams to build there ice surface from 85 - 100 ft wide. Whatever suits the team they have. The

Bruins and Sabres had smaller rinks than the current ones and played in many exciting games. It is all about style of play.

Goalies have changed the game more than anything. The equipment is ridiculous. They argue that they need it to protect themselves yet players continue to block shots fearlessly. Reduce the equipment or make the nets bigger.

Secondly the style of coaching needs to change. Pretty sad when you go watch a junior A game and they are playing a 1-2-2. Hockey needs to come up with a way of instituting an illegal defense ruling. 2 warnings then a penalty.

Third..... The point system needs to change. The current system is laughable. If you lose you should get nothing. Create the incentive to win a game during 60 minutes not play cautious to insure a point. In the current system you can go a whole season without 1 win and achieve 82 pts. Laughable!!! I would take it a step further and say 3 pts for 4 goal regulation win..... This would change the coaching mindset overnight in my opinion and would not effect the playoffs in any way.

Lastly... I hope the league does re-align and playoff rivalries with your own division come back. Also hope that we actually get hockey this fall with CBA negotiations pending.

Archived