The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop Changing the Rules!

komodo1970

You must learn to read sir...he states that sure 5 mins is ok for length but change the rule to score and its over. Keep the length of the penalty but limit the amount goals to one not multiple.give your head a shake....

As far as conspiracies go... I would be really shocked if the NHL conspired against Canada...

The 6 canadian teams make up an UNGODLY amount of the NHL's income...

I think they know where their money comes from and i doubt that they would bite the hand that feeds them.

I dont really see what they would gain by *obviously* cheating for US teams...

and if your argument is that "they are SECRETLY trying to advantage US teams"...

I think they could do so much better (at cheating for profit) soooo much more subtlety...

Just my two cents.

LA didn't actually try to win the cup. Rather, the league wrapped around LA and accomodated their needs until the win was delivered.

The same can be said about Boston and Chicago.

The cups aren't won on the ice anymore. They are won in boardrooms.

So the trick to 'winning the cup' isn't assembling the best team as it is convincing the rest of the league that it's your turn. If you're not one of Bettman's 'chosen' small market teams, that turn usually comes faster with more money being spent by ownership.

My feeling is that while the Canucks are closer than ever, it will still require a significant investment to secure an actual win. So the question is just how determined Aquilini is here. Cheers.

TOML

NHL and its rules are too flawed they don't even know what hockey is anymore. The game is a total joke and as long as Im alive Canucks will never win a cup, the NHL has an agenda and its to make hockey more popular in the smaller markets as they know there will always be more than enough fans in the Canadian cities.

Off-topic, but more 'WE ARE SCREWED!' talk:

What sucks about being us is that while our neighbor teams were gift-wrapped Gretzky and a playoff-ready moved team and then glory years in the 80's, we received crap-all but cursed draftpicks, brutal trades, god-awful jerseys, an unwatchable brand of hockey, and some guy named The Steamer.

Sure, we're alright compared to them now, but that era can swiftly change.

Good God we need to win soon.

TOML

NHL and its rules are too flawed they don't even know what hockey is anymore. The game is a total joke and as long as Im alive Canucks will never win a cup, the NHL has an agenda and its to make hockey more popular in the smaller markets as they know there will always be more than enough fans in the Canadian cities.

Maybe its a coincidence that the rule changes were gonna help teams like LA and the NYR, BOS, PHO, all the defensive teams (who's owners run the league) when they could have simply started calling charging penalties, if they really wanted to curb head injuries. From a crazy, braindead, lunatic, conspiracy theorists point of view, it makes far more sense that the "best" interest of the league is for certain big American markets to succeed, and thus, they used head injuries as a reason to obviously change the way things were called. The director of officials had the nerve to say that nothing has changed and one time when asked about why officials manage games instead of just calling them, he said, and i quote, "Next question." Yup, sounds on the level to me.

F*ck the NHL.

I am sitting here watching the hilights of the LA game, paying specific attention to the Bernier hit and can't help but think about the constant rule changes having a lot to do with the refs decision to make the call. Yes, I feel it was the wrong call, but really, can you blame the ref? It seems the rules change every year and the refs have to keep up with it. I feel there is a lot of confusion in officials minds as to whether or not a play is a penalty or not.

The biggest change came when it was decided that there was too much clutching and grabbing in the game. It was this change that started the avalanche of rule changes to follow. So changes were made in an effort to eliminate this from the game. Fine. For seasons to follow, we had to watch penalty after penalty be called which in my mind took away from the game. The refs were becoming more noticeable then the players themselves. The slightest touches to players from behind, or bit of interference to a players progress were being called. It really was annoying.

With the speed came bigger hits (which I loved), which inevedably caused more injuries (in specific concussions), so they came up with a stricter charging rule and no hitting from behind. Again, more penalties and flow disruptions (the refs are starting to deserve their own hockey cards and stats). Now we have players constantly being able to free wheel through the neutral without fear of being checked or interfered with. Again, more border line calls to go with the poor hooking and holding calls.

Next is the hitting from behind rule. Checks along the boards are becoming too aggressive, so the hitting from behind rule is added. This is a rule I do agree with but feel it is enforced the wrong way. As is the norm, players use this rule to cause penalties. I am sick of the purposeful turning of the back to the play and embellishment of the hits that are made. I feel the players being hit, in a lot of cases, should be held accountable as well. In cases where the player with the puck intentionally turns his back to a check, an unsportsman like conduct penalty should be called. In these cases, the player getting injured or not should have no baring on the call as it was he who put himself in that position. If this were the case, I believe players will be a little more leary about making such a play. Penalties and suspensions. Yeah!!!!

Now we are dealing with the no head contact rule. Granted players like Cooke and Torres have given a few hits with more than just a good hockey play in mind, and maybe a little change to the rule was warranted, but now players intentionally duck their heads into a bad position or stretch out for a puck thus putting themselves at risk. Again the player putting himself at risk should be held accountable in some cases. In any event, still more penalties and suspensions. Weee!!!

My point in all this ranting is to request that Gary Bettman, NHLPA and ownership quit f!@cking with the game. I can see total confusion in the officiating, players and coaches constantly trying to figure out what's clean and what's not. I miss the days when it was the players themselves that policed the dirty actions. I still love hockey, but just don't carry the same excitement as the days of Odjik, Probert and Simon. In my mind the game was much more honest and more emphasis was n the game and not on all the penalties called or not called. The officials had a clearer understanding of what to call and what to leave alone. In the end I find it hard to blame officiating when the rules keep changing and they are constantly having to adapt.

Anyone else notice Scuderi look up RIGHT AFTER HE WAS HIT, look at the ref put his arm up and then drop dead.

This is a smart move by Scuderi and a dumb move by the refs. Seeing as an injury on the play is such a big determinant on the length of the penalty, they should make sure he's injured. If he's injured there should be guidlines - ie. knocked the fk out, leaving the game on a stretcher or unable to play the rest of the game at least. Getting hit, sitting up, then playing dead is not an injury - Scuderi was fine, the blood and him laying on the ice just made it look worse.

And another thing, the refs better not just be calling penalties based on blood because when a player like Scuderi is lying face down on the ice he can easily cut himself on the ice or grate his face to try and make the hit look bad. Anything it takes to win the Cup, and that's what the Kings did. They dove their way to the top and the refs fell for it like the idiots they are.

Anyone else notice Scuderi look up RIGHT AFTER HE WAS HIT, look at the ref put his arm up and then drop dead.

This is a smart move by Scuderi and a dumb move by the refs. Seeing as an injury on the play is such a big determinant on the length of the penalty, they should make sure he's injured. If he's injured there should be guidlines - ie. knocked the fk out, leaving the game on a stretcher or unable to play the rest of the game at least. Getting hit, sitting up, then playing dead is not an injury - Scuderi was fine, the blood and him laying on the ice just made it look worse.

And another thing, the refs better not just be calling penalties based on blood because when a player like Scuderi is lying face down on the ice he can easily cut himself on the ice or grate his face to try and make the hit look bad. Anything it takes to win the Cup, and that's what the Kings did. They dove their way to the top and the refs fell for it like the idiots they are.

I wonder when people will open their eyes. There are over 100 penaltys in a game big or small, if the refs were to call all of them the game would not be fun to watch, instead the refs call what they want when they want. I believe the refs call the game to who the league wants to win, yes conspiracy. LA big market never won Stanley cup...perfect. Where were the refs when we palyed Boston and got pummled. When we were up 3-0 in the series against chicago, the refs gave chicago every oppurtunity to get back in the series, MG had to actually call the refs out and the stats didnt lie. My point is the refs and league did not want no way no how the series to go back to NJ. Go back to the pheonix series the refs played a huge part in game 5 too. NHL is a joke, the refs are untouchable, you get fined if you whisper their calls. I hope the new CBA makes it a point to make the refs accountable, because as of now the refs are a ghost that haunts the great game.

I agree with a lot of your points, except hitting is not only used to separate an opponent from the puck, but is also used to wear the opposition down to force turnovers in the future. Unfortunately it is tough to measure how useful this is compared to say...speed. It is hard to deny that physicallity wins hockey games. L.A. Kings and Boston Bruins are perfect examples.

The new rules that have come into the game since Bettman are a complete joke!!!!!!!!

Put the game back to the way it was in the 60's and 70's, then we will see real hockey. these rules are designed to create more offence and more penalties/pps. All they have created is a gladiator league full of goons who can't wait to slash some poor ussupecting guy in the face, or try to run him through the boards from behind, the advancement in the gear really has nothing to do with giving a guy a concussion by planting his elbow square it the side of the head, hell i could give some one a concussion with my bare elbow, the fact is is that the players know what they are doing, and they also know that the rules are weak and poorly called by the officials at best, so they take advantage of that and try to hurt one another instead of playing the game the way it was meant to be played!

In some ways i hope that there is a lock out, mabey it will force some of the owners to look up and see that Mr.Bettman is destroying the NHL, and even if the fans are lucky the owner will decide to do something about Mr.Bettman and get ride of him much like the NBA did when their owners woke up and saw what Bettman was doing to their sport!!!!!

Archived