Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

A review before the trading begins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Who do you want back? (202 member(s) have cast votes)

With the benefit of hindsight – Who would you want back playing for the Canucks the entire next season? (Hypothetically, the player does not have to be available/tradeable for the purposes of this poll)

1. Cody Hodgson (61 votes [17.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.09%

2. Willie Mitchell (91 votes [25.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.49%

3. Raffi Torres (49 votes [13.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

4. Mikael Samuelsson (16 votes [4.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

5. Christian Ehrhoff (74 votes [20.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.73%

6. Jeff Tambillini (13 votes [3.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

7. Michael Grabner (37 votes [10.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.36%

8. None of them (16 votes [4.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dreamy_Nuck

Dreamy_Nuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

So, the playoffs are over and done with. We have seen one of our own fan-favorites lift the cup. It was a bit of a shock to the system seeing Willie Mitchell being the first one to hold the cup after the Kings’ captain, in spite of having known for almost the whole game that Willie would get his turn.

I thought now would be a good time to summarise what has been going wrong over the past couple of seasons. If the parade is being planned in another city, things haven’t gone right. No matter how you put it, our goal-tending was not a problem in the playoffs or during the season as a whole. And yet, the biggest decision for the management over the next few months remains the goaltending. It will have long-term implications no matter who they keep. And in the unlikely event of keeping both goal-tenders, it would seem unlikely both would make it past the trade deadline in Canucks colours. I would hope that we would have a decision latest by trade deadline next season as to who we are putting our long-term faith in. I am still split on who we should keep; neither seems to be a bad option. But we have discussed that topic way too much already and will keep doing so for years to come, no matter how sweet or sour the outcome turns out to be.

But the major thought I have been having over the last 2 months in my mind has been – where is the big trade for next season coming from? And yes, there has to be one, maybe two. We have put all our trust in Mike Gillis, hopefully rightly so. He seems to get the best of the smaller trades, reviving player careers like Lapierre’s and Higgins’; while keeping the cost of contracts down. But there comes a time when you have to go all out for what you crave. You do have to take a chance, an educated punt. It can’t be all guesswork; after all, the GM has a full crew of experts working for him and hopefully helping him out in his thought process. Chicago took a chance on Hossa’s big contract; the Kings made a bunch of changes to their roster and took a chance on our hometown boy when we failed to take the same risk! They even made a coaching change when needed, and were active around trade deadline.

A trade between Cody Hodgson and Kassian did not cut it, whether Cody was a problem child or not. Maybe the trade could have waited till now. Wouldn’t Cody have loved to show what he is made of so more teams would line up for him. That would also have helped increase his trade value. It could have been a win-win. No matter who says what and who we believe, we will never know what really went on behind closed doors. Kassian just wasn’t good enough to be on the roster and it was clear after the first 3 games as a Canucks, once the excitement and adrenaline calmed off. In our market, we pay a bit too much attention to the local media telling us how good the trades and new players coming in are. All the talk about having Kassian on the first line as a try-out with the Sedins was just that – all talk. A player has to be good enough to play on the 3rd or 2nd line before making it to the top line. And similarly, all trades are not great trades, the local experts are essentially homeboys, The Team does business on all topics Canucks, surely they would keep the management happy in general. So, we should take all talk about the great trades and acquisitions with a pinch of salt.

I am not pretending to know as much as the GM knows – surely, there must be a lot of deliberation and information going into each and every decision. But in hindsight, we have made mistakes. And we have not taken big chances. And knowing how much of a fan following MG seems to have, dare I say that he should be judged by the same yard-stick as we judge our coach, Luongo, Sedins, Kesler et al. If the team cannot bring home the cup, nobody has done their job as well as we would like.

So to mention a few things that haven’t gone great with the benefit of hindsight: we have missed Torres more than we thought, Willie Mitchell is a healthy, stay-at-home cup winning defenseman, Malhotra returned from injury in the Cup final too early and that messed up the team chemistry (completely my personal opinion), Kesler returned from injury too soon (as if to re-iterate the fact that what should have been a lesson in case of Manny’s early return was ignored), Grabner and/or Cody could have helped more than Raymond has helped.

And then there are the issues with our planning and responses to certain situations. There wasn’t much of response to either Daniel getting the elbow by Keith, or Henrik being run over by Brown. The Marchand punch response is well known. Our team having a mixed identity that moved away from the Detroit model but not quite enough towards the Bruins or Minnesota or Phoenix model in the last 3rd of the season. The persistence with the drop pass, Henrik trying to shoot the puck for a month and going back to his pass first mentality, Sammy Salo’s supposed decrease in work-load never materialising, the reluctance to seriously trial separating the twins have all been little things that show a lack of belief in the plans made. I am assuming quotes in the media are not the full version of what the players and staff plan on. But it all seems to equate to more madness than method. Kesler being injured was news to us, I would be surprised if it was news to the club. There would be at least a fair chance that the staff knew he was not a 100% at the time Cody was being traded. Not a smart trade, if that is true.

Make no mistake; we have had Sundin, Ballard, Erhoff, Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Booth come into the club via trades and such. As mentioned earlier, we have had a lot of additions to the club in the form of Higgins, Samuelsson and Torres for a while, Lapierre, Alberts, Burrows a while back; Hansen, Edler , Schnieder, Tanev and others have come along under this management. The goaltending situation has been handled with class and with surgeon-like precision: changing Luongo’s coach, decreasing his workload, getting Schnieder to where he is now – all things goaltending could not have gone any better. But the fact remains that we haven’t had a blockbuster trade since Luongo.

Now would be the time to go for the cup all out, if the time has not already passed. Like they keep saying, the days of hockey dynasties are long gone; you need to be good enough for one postseason to be the Stanley Cup champions.

Any of the decisions from the past, or one that will be made this coming season could yet turn out to be a masterstroke. It will be called that only if we win the cup, as there is a fine line in professional sports between brilliance and utter shame. Luck does play a factor, but luck also favours the brave. So, with all the great players on offer this free agency and going up to the end of trade deadline day, I feel we need ideally 2 big pieces to be added to our current core – which will likely only miss one of the goal-tenders, maybe Ballard, Raymond or other smaller pieces. We probably will never know who was offered or who was interested in joining our team unless we have them wearing a Canucks uniform, but this is the year that defines this team, the management and this era!
Should'nt replies to threads be well thought out too, just like posts should be well thought out? Just saying.

#2 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

If Erhoff was still here, he could anchor the PP and be our offensive d-man while Hamhuis, Bieksa and Edler can focus more on their defense.

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Ehrhoff.
Shame he thought he deserved so much more than he did.

Jagermeister.jpg

#4 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Ehrhoff.

4 million dollar cap hit for 50 pt d-man is underpayment. Shea weber almost gets double that for the same pt production.

Edited by 6OH!4, 13 June 2012 - 01:23 PM.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#5 Dreamy_Nuck

Dreamy_Nuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

It almost seemed like MG had a choice between Bieksa and Ehrhoff at the time and it would have been tough to accomodate both. Would Ehrhoff have been that much better? I do not know. Some truly great work would have kept both, but as i mention in my post, we just cannot assume that Ehrhoff was greedy and did not care about staying. It is possible that the management could have done more than they eventually did.
Should'nt replies to threads be well thought out too, just like posts should be well thought out? Just saying.

#6 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

I wasn't crazy about the way Ehrhoff left, but I believe he'd bring the most benefit to the team, especially the power play.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,001 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I'd say Ehrhoff, and only because he thought we were still negotiating when his rights were traded away. He would have made a pretty marked difference in our offensive ability, although it would have meant we likely wouldn't have gotten Booth.

Cody was being Sheltered prior to the deadline to showcase his talents. He'd already started to slump coming into February (along with others on the team) and he didn't do anything so remarkable in Buffalo to suggest he could have further increased his trade value over and above where it was at the deadline.

Mitchell obviously would have been nice to keep, but he knew want kind of money and term he wanted, and we weren't going to be able to offer that to a player who hadn't played in 5 months after a concussion. There were just too many questions about his health for us to compete with the kind of offer he got from LA.

Grabner was the only person in charge of his future, and it wasn't until he decided to make a change after being traded to and then waived by one of the worst teams in the league that he showed what he was capable of. Even then, he's had a sophomore slump, and it remains to be seen if he can be a consistent threat at the NHL level.

Torres we would have missed, but that would have been us missing him after having a $2500 fine, a 2 game suspension and a 25 game suspension all in the same season. He can play, but it came at a cost that we knew prior to offering him a one year deal, when he wanted longer term.

Samuelsson was a good veteran guy who could produce, but is on the tail end of his career. We moved him before his value dropped so much that it wouldn't net us anything in return and got back a younger, more dynamic forward instead. Hard to argue that even if he would have been nice to have after his injury healed.

Tamby would have been a good depth guy at a good price, but he showed last year how his play could vary. Always fairly solid defensively, his offence tailed off and never came back when it could have helped our secondary scoring greatly.

I'd say all the moves were made in the best interest of the team and hindsight can't tell us how those players would have performed if they'd stayed. Perhaps we'd be making threads now about:
- how Cody's value plummeted after he threw a fit about his playing time despite disappearing in the playoffs
- how Gillis got nothing in return for Grabner after he had yet another bad training camp and was lost to waivers
- how Mitchell was sitting out the whole season on a $3.5M deal after another concussion and we were scrambling for a replacement

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#8 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Amazed Bernier didn't make the list
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

4 million dollar cap hit for 50 pt d-man is underpayment. Shea weber almost gets double that for the same pt production.

Shea Weber is also a beast on defence. Ehrhoff was okay on the defensive end.
It's not the cap hit that did it for Ehrhoff, its the fact he wanted a 10 year deal. There is enough cases in the NHL of long term deals like that not exactly panning out.

Jagermeister.jpg

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,001 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

The $23M he's getting paid ($10M salary and $8M signing bonus last year plus a $5M signing bonus this year) before ever having to play a game in this upcoming season says otherwise about him thinking of taking a discount or his usefulness being so much better for his contract value. He took full advantage of the possibility there might be a lockout and got paid massively up front, something we weren't going to do to that extent.

He may have thought there was some leeway still, but either directed his agent to go for too much in negotiations (to where Gillis didn't think they could reach a deal) or his agent was acting too independently of what Ehrhoff wanted if he truly did want to stay in Vancouver.

#11 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Shea Weber is also a beast on defence. Ehrhoff was okay on the defensive end.
It's not the cap hit that did it for Ehrhoff, its the fact he wanted a 10 year deal. There is enough cases in the NHL of long term deals like that not exactly panning out.

Defensemen have a longer hockey lifespan than forwards so I wouldn't have been too worried. Worse case scenario, he plays in the minors for the last couple years of his contract.

Well Shea Weber wasn't able to shut down the weak offense of phoenix so he's not as good as everyone says. People just like him cause he's from BC.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#12 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Ehrhoff.

The real shame is that Buffalo agreed with him.
Posted Image

#13 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

He also plays DEFENCE and PHYSICALLY.

#14 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

The real shame is that Buffalo agreed with him.

Yeah, he didn't play so well when he wasn't on a great team, and didn't benefit from Sedins and Kesler.

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,001 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Defensemen have a longer hockey lifespan than forwards so I wouldn't have been too worried. Worse case scenario, he plays in the minors for the last couple years of his contract.

Well Shea Weber wasn't able to shut down the weak offense of phoenix so he's not as good as everyone says. People just like him cause he's from BC.

Clearly all the hockey people who contribute to Norris trophy decisions disagree with you on his effectiveness. It remains to be seen how much Suter factors into that as they mostly pair together, and haven't faired quite as well apart, but he's still one of the better defencemen in the league.

#16 Dreamy_Nuck

Dreamy_Nuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'd say all the moves were made in the best interest of the team and hindsight can't tell us how those players would have performed if they'd stayed.

There is no doubting that the moves were made in the best interests of the team. Do you things the Maple Leafs management dont have their teams best interest in mind when they make decisions. It is more about, where those decisions get you.

You also contradict all your player assessments by saying we have no idea how these guy would be doing in a parallel world if they were still Canucks.

My argument is that these decisions may or may not have let us to the CUP, but the fact remains that there havent been enough decisions taking us to the promised land.
:)

#17 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

- how Cody's value plummeted after he threw a fit about his playing time despite disappearing in the playoffs

I agree with other things you've said about Hodgson, but to be fair he didn't really disappear in the playoffs as he was barely even displayed and when he was he was on the 4th line getting very few minutes. It would have been interesting to see what he would have done if he made the playoffs this year.

#18 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

I wonder how come the people who vote for the three finalists for the Norris like him? They couldn't all be from BC, could they?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#19 Wonderine

Wonderine

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

We got Linden back so the only player that was ever worth having back is Todd Bertuzzi. To this day he is still contributes point wise and is a force around the net and on the forecheck. Big Bert is the only choice.

:canucks: NUFF SAID ::D

Edited by Wonderine, 13 June 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#20 Sorcerer

Sorcerer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

If Erhoff was still here, he could anchor the PP and be our offensive d-man while Hamhuis, Bieksa and Edler can focus more on their defense.

And stand 1 meter away and watch as players from other teams abused the Sedins

#21 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

TORRES

#22 PowerAids

PowerAids

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

True,
But weber brings muh more to the table then just points.

#23 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

None. Just because they are liked doesn't mean they fit.
Posted Image

#24 Nucks+Cup+♥

Nucks+Cup+♥

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

coho :bigblush:
Posted Image
credit to Henrik Sedin for awesome sig
:bigblush:

#25 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Where is the review? All you have committed to is that we need "two significant pieces?" And essentially pouted over some moves, waxed poetic over others. Really, you are telling MG to move or get off the pot. Just say it louder > we need a big trade!

That's alrite, I share your opinion almost exactly! I have highlighted your note wondering if it is time to go all in with this championship window? Its a fair question, the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows all had performance drops this year, a troubling sign. Maybe its just an issue of complimenting them with the correct physical players?

I personally hope MG did know Kesler was injured when he traded Hodgson. Then I could believe he was building for next year and sacrificing this, as we would not have succeeded with a battered Kesler. I truly hope he did not believe Kassian was ready to be a solution this year!

Assessment? Mine is that we have gobs of forward talent and speed. Yes 3 potential all stars is a strength, something only Chicago and the Penguins can top, as much as people call for an all star for Kesler. We have goaltending! We have more than adequate scoring and puck movement on D. These are our strengths. But we are clearly missing other elements. Balance in our line up is a big concern.

On D we have offensive talent, are deep on the left side but weak in the right. We lack ANY element of a punishing defender. Hamhuis is a superb dfefensive D, but not punishing. We also don't have a puck carrying D man who can either rush the puck or carry it through pressure in the neutral zone when there are no passing lanes. Or to gain the zone on the PP. We need to integrate or acquire at least two D (probably both right D), a puck carrying speedster and a bruising physical beast.

Up front, we have 4 Top line (3 plus Higgins) capable LW's (Burrows, Danny, Booth and Higgins) and only one natural right wing on our top 3 lines (Hansen). Again, we lack any true physical brute to compliment talent and speed. And we gave up our 3rd line center hoping (false economy) we could solve all with Kassian, a RW. The diminished capacity of Malhotra and escape of Torres took away the brilliant moves which created a physical match on our 3rd line, to play against any imposing forward lines. Malhotra (may surprise with a summer of training) Lapierre and somebody will remain a great 4th line. We need to acquire or integrate at least two RW's, a center and likely trade a LW for a 3rd RW.

Above I noted performance declines with the Twins and Kesler, it could be argued the same was true with Lou? Well, really he had a great year at times holding up the team. But we did win the Jennings again, and he was not the problem but not stellar or the solution against L.A. A case could be made that if we did not more than swap Quick for Lou, we would have won that series? Not possible, but makes the point! At any rate, our top goalie was being outplayed by his backup. I'm calling it an off year for Lou!

Add it up, we had down years by our top 4 players, no team is going to win!

Add that up again, then include that we need to upgrade size and match up problems, fill rights side D and wing positions plus source a puck carrying D man. My conclusion agree's with the OP's > WE NEED A BLOCKBUSTER!

It could be Kesler, but that leaves more holes to fill. It will be better to par-lay from strengths in goal, Left D and Left wing. MG, Lou gave you a hint, its time to deliver or we will be rebuilding this time next year!

So, the playoffs are over and done with. We have seen one of our own fan-favorites lift the cup. It was a bit of a shock to the system seeing Willie Mitchell being the first one to hold the cup after the Kings’ captain, in spite of having known for almost the whole game that Willie would get his turn.

I thought now would be a good time to summarise what has been going wrong over the past couple of seasons. If the parade is being planned in another city, things haven’t gone right. No matter how you put it, our goal-tending was not a problem in the playoffs or during the season as a whole. And yet, the biggest decision for the management over the next few months remains the goaltending. It will have long-term implications no matter who they keep. And in the unlikely event of keeping both goal-tenders, it would seem unlikely both would make it past the trade deadline in Canucks colours. I would hope that we would have a decision latest by trade deadline next season as to who we are putting our long-term faith in. I am still split on who we should keep; neither seems to be a bad option. But we have discussed that topic way too much already and will keep doing so for years to come, no matter how sweet or sour the outcome turns out to be.

But the major thought I have been having over the last 2 months in my mind has been – where is the big trade for next season coming from? And yes, there has to be one, maybe two. We have put all our trust in Mike Gillis, hopefully rightly so. He seems to get the best of the smaller trades, reviving player careers like Lapierre’s and Higgins’; while keeping the cost of contracts down. But there comes a time when you have to go all out for what you crave. You do have to take a chance, an educated punt. It can’t be all guesswork; after all, the GM has a full crew of experts working for him and hopefully helping him out in his thought process. Chicago took a chance on Hossa’s big contract; the Kings made a bunch of changes to their roster and took a chance on our hometown boy when we failed to take the same risk! They even made a coaching change when needed, and were active around trade deadline.

A trade between Cody Hodgson and Kassian did not cut it, whether Cody was a problem child or not. Maybe the trade could have waited till now. Wouldn’t Cody have loved to show what he is made of so more teams would line up for him. That would also have helped increase his trade value. It could have been a win-win. No matter who says what and who we believe, we will never know what really went on behind closed doors. Kassian just wasn’t good enough to be on the roster and it was clear after the first 3 games as a Canucks, once the excitement and adrenaline calmed off. In our market, we pay a bit too much attention to the local media telling us how good the trades and new players coming in are. All the talk about having Kassian on the first line as a try-out with the Sedins was just that – all talk. A player has to be good enough to play on the 3rd or 2nd line before making it to the top line. And similarly, all trades are not great trades, the local experts are essentially homeboys, The Team does business on all topics Canucks, surely they would keep the management happy in general. So, we should take all talk about the great trades and acquisitions with a pinch of salt.

I am not pretending to know as much as the GM knows – surely, there must be a lot of deliberation and information going into each and every decision. But in hindsight, we have made mistakes. And we have not taken big chances. And knowing how much of a fan following MG seems to have, dare I say that he should be judged by the same yard-stick as we judge our coach, Luongo, Sedins, Kesler et al. If the team cannot bring home the cup, nobody has done their job as well as we would like.

So to mention a few things that haven’t gone great with the benefit of hindsight: we have missed Torres more than we thought, Willie Mitchell is a healthy, stay-at-home cup winning defenseman, Malhotra returned from injury in the Cup final too early and that messed up the team chemistry (completely my personal opinion), Kesler returned from injury too soon (as if to re-iterate the fact that what should have been a lesson in case of Manny’s early return was ignored), Grabner and/or Cody could have helped more than Raymond has helped.

And then there are the issues with our planning and responses to certain situations. There wasn’t much of response to either Daniel getting the elbow by Keith, or Henrik being run over by Brown. The Marchand punch response is well known. Our team having a mixed identity that moved away from the Detroit model but not quite enough towards the Bruins or Minnesota or Phoenix model in the last 3rd of the season. The persistence with the drop pass, Henrik trying to shoot the puck for a month and going back to his pass first mentality, Sammy Salo’s supposed decrease in work-load never materialising, the reluctance to seriously trial separating the twins have all been little things that show a lack of belief in the plans made. I am assuming quotes in the media are not the full version of what the players and staff plan on. But it all seems to equate to more madness than method. Kesler being injured was news to us, I would be surprised if it was news to the club. There would be at least a fair chance that the staff knew he was not a 100% at the time Cody was being traded. Not a smart trade, if that is true.

Make no mistake; we have had Sundin, Ballard, Erhoff, Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Booth come into the club via trades and such. As mentioned earlier, we have had a lot of additions to the club in the form of Higgins, Samuelsson and Torres for a while, Lapierre, Alberts, Burrows a while back; Hansen, Edler , Schnieder, Tanev and others have come along under this management. The goaltending situation has been handled with class and with surgeon-like precision: changing Luongo’s coach, decreasing his workload, getting Schnieder to where he is now – all things goaltending could not have gone any better. But the fact remains that we haven’t had a blockbuster trade since Luongo.

Now would be the time to go for the cup all out, if the time has not already passed. Like they keep saying, the days of hockey dynasties are long gone; you need to be good enough for one postseason to be the Stanley Cup champions.

Any of the decisions from the past, or one that will be made this coming season could yet turn out to be a masterstroke. It will be called that only if we win the cup, as there is a fine line in professional sports between brilliance and utter shame. Luck does play a factor, but luck also favours the brave. So, with all the great players on offer this free agency and going up to the end of trade deadline day, I feel we need ideally 2 big pieces to be added to our current core – which will likely only miss one of the goal-tenders, maybe Ballard, Raymond or other smaller pieces. We probably will never know who was offered or who was interested in joining our team unless we have them wearing a Canucks uniform, but this is the year that defines this team, the management and this era!

#26 Caledonian Canuck

Caledonian Canuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

I voted for "none of them", as I would rather look forward than back.

They all had upsides certainly, but do any of them fit the new MG profile of "bigger and younger?"

I want to believe in MG, but all he has done so far is bring back AV, sign Alex Friesen and take Mason Raymond to arbitration.

In fairness, it is early days and much can (and hopefully will) happen between now and the start of the new season.

I hope I am wrong and MG pulls a few crackers, I just have this gut feeling of having been here before.

We need an injection of new faces and fresh ideas. In any business, if something doesn't work, it gets slightly adapted, radically altered or completely discarded.

If MG thinks adding a few more fourth liners, who can fill in now and then on the third line is the answer, we will fail again.

Our problems are in the top six forwards and in defence. If we don't solve those problem areas, it will make no difference which goalie we keep and which we trade. We need a quality right winger to support and feed off the twins, a play-making second line centre to supply Booth and Kesler (who should play RW when he is 100% fit) and a tough right - handed D to play alongside Alex Edler.

We have more than enough quality to fill the rest of the roster and plenty spare men to trade, or allow to leave.

It needs to be addressed before training camp begins. Bringing back any of our former players will certainly not be the answer.

We can only hope.....

#27 Dank23Hank

Dank23Hank

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

HAHAHAH are you kidding me comparing Shea Weber to Ehrhoff.
You do realize Weber plays extremely well in his own end as well as putting up 50 pts on the offensive side.

#28 Dank23Hank

Dank23Hank

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Ehrhoff also only put up 32 points for buffalo.

#29 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Ehrhoff costs too much. That doesn't change.

Hodgson didn't want to be here. I'm guessing that didn't change either.

None of the other players would have had a significant impact except for Willie Mitchell. He would have been great for the team but you can't blame MG for letting him go. At the time, his injury situation was pretty dicey and his career could have gone either way.

#30 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Willie (with Edler)
Sammy (on the 2nd line to snipe!)
Torres (need that skilled size for the playoffs)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.