The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Speculation] Schultz expected to sign with VAN, TOR, or EDM

Rey- Far too long of a post for me to copy on my iPhone but Seabrook >>>>>>>>>>>Edler. I wish people didn't just see the offensive numbers and watched the games because if they did they'd realize that the unbelieveable positional play of Brent Seabrook allows the overrated in his own end Duncan Keith to roam and play the style he does to get the numbers he does. Seabrook is as steady as they come in his own end and is by far a better defenseman than is Edler and its not really even close to be honest.

Think it's a wash. McDonagh plays more on the defensive end where as Schultz uses more speed as puck mover. Both have it's positives and negatives. That's why it's a wash.

If you are looking at Schultz, you hope you are getting Jake Gardiner type, with maybe a bit more upside. Schultz, on a bad team will look good, but if you put him on a good team. It'll depend on his partner, but he'll make mistakes for sure because of the way he plays so, if he does sign in Vancouver. You better have patients. Wouldn't surprise me if Tanev outplays Schultz. He should be developed like Tanev, where he works on his defensive game first, but unfortunately, there will be pressure on Schultz to put up points. That's why it makes sense for him to go to Edmonton, where it'll be okay for the whole bunch of kids to make errors. Won't get the same amount of opportunities here. Especially with .AV, screw up once and you're in the doghouse. Add competition, and there goes his confidence. Canuck's are better off re-signing Salo and signing Garrison.

Garrison Edler

Bieksa Hamhuis

Salo/Ballard Tanev

probably works the best, and if it screw up. There's always trade deadline. Team needs experience, not a rookie. Maybe, find a way to trade Ballard, and sign Salo but use him but rest him every once in a while.

Garrison - Edler

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Schultz/Salo/Tanev

Can't see a inexperience guy jump into our top 4, if the Canuck's want to be contenders. If anyone on the team can mentor a player. It's either Salo or Hamhuis. I think, you gotta get someone to help Edler, and not make him feel that he has to do everything. Schultz will definitely do that. Bieksa can't handle himself, so can clearly rule him out.

Your first d-pairings is the safest option. Concerns with Edler's development are bang on. My concern for him is possible lack of coaching. When he was having difficulty last spring there did not seem to be any attempt for him to simplify his game to re-establish himself.

Bringing Schultz in is more of a gamble and does not eliminate the need for a top4 right side dman to anchor Edler. Schultz would be on the 3rd pairing with hopefully a PP exposure. Passing on a Schultz might be too big a loss by all reports.

I dont see Schultz signing in Edmonton. Why? Because they have no head coach. Knowing Edmonton they'll get another coach like Tom Renney who is focused on playing his vets and trying to make the playoffs. If Edmonton ha a head coach, I could see a higher chance of him signing but as they are now, with a head coach, he won't sign there.

Will be Edmonton or here, Toronto players dont see as a winning team and the way Burke has run the team I doubt a player that can pick will go when he can win here now and Edmonton grow and help a stacked team for the future.That said the make me laughs should not even be looked at unless you just want a paycheck.

Chara

Weber

Letang

Doughty

Karlsson

Suter

Campbell

Yandle

Girardi

Pietrangelo

Boyle

Keith

Seabrook

Kronwall

Timonen

DelZotto

Streit

Wideman

Carle

Burns

Hamhuis

Shattenkirk

Buff

All guys who you could at the very least make a case for ahead of Edler based on their potential or where they are at already. Edler had big pts production this year but hes far from being a top10 guy. He likely makes the top 20 but its not any higher than about 15th at the most.

I still wish Ohlund was here for a bit longer. I really sense that Edler still needs a guy to mentor him, but at the same time, its difficult because he's already better than most guys. It's going to be hard to find someone to take Edler to the next level. You can only hope that a guy like Garrison(maybe?) can let Edler play his game, and then hopefully Edler figures things out.

I wouldn't mind passing on Schultz, but it's been clear for a couple years now. The Canucks need a reliable top 4 guy for a while now. Gillis didn't get the guy last year and that was frustrating. You get that guy, and we'll forget about Schultz.

If they just leave the D as it is, it will be another year of failure. The current D core, just doesn't cut it. You cant have one set pair and hope it takes you to the finals.

Matt Gilroy anyone?

The next great D man rarely comes out of a U.S. College.

You often here the phrase "This guy is the best defenceman outside the NHL..." blah blah blah.

Schultz has proven jack squack. Remember the bidding war on Gilroy? How long until he was traded?

Schultz....pffft. Believe it when I see it.

Don't even get me started on Garrison. We are looking for a proven #1 or 2 D-man, not a project or hopeful.

Matt Gilroy anyone?

The next great D man rarely comes out of a U.S. College.

You often here the phrase "This guy is the best defenceman outside the NHL..." blah blah blah.

Schultz has proven jack squack. Remember the bidding war on Gilroy? How long until he was traded?

Schultz....pffft. Believe it when I see it.

Don't even get me started on Garrison. We are looking for a proven #1 or 2 D-man, not a project or hopeful.

Seabrook is one of the most overrated players because he plays with Chicago. I don't understand why anyone think he's that great. I've watched him since his breakout year, and there's nothing that stands out He's good, but he isn't a guy a impact guy. At best, he is a number 2. Edler, is a number 2 right now.

Edler's potential is way higher than Seabrook will ever be. Edler is stronger, faster, better offensively.You have to allow Edler to be able to play a role that Seabrook is playing, so Edler can tidy up his defense and 9/10 times Edler will be better than Seabrook. Even with the errors Edler is making right now, he isn't that far off defensively compared to Seabrook. Seabrook's defensive game is no where near a Hamhuis. A couple seasons ago, you could say Duncan Keith can roam around with or without Seabrook endlessly. Keith was really close to Neidermayer status at that point. Who the hell knows, what happened to Keith. Either his size is getting to him, or that he decides to take it easier since he's already won the cup. I think it's the other way around, where Keith makes Seabrook look a hell better.

Now, if you were talking about Ryan Suter. Now, we're talking about a guy who is miles better defensively than either guy. Seabrook and Edler are close now(defensively), but if you watch them closely. Edler has way more upside.

Again - let Edler play the way he was suppose to. The year he had Ehrhoff, allowed Edler to play defense first. When you do that, there wasn't a single flaw in his game. That's why the Canucks made it to the finals, and Edler was recognized as one of the best young defense man in the game. It hasn't changed. He's still the same guy. Let him play HIS game. He doesn't have elite speed to be playing puck mover.

If Seabrook was here, instead of Edler. Seabrook would crumble. He's above average, but there's nothing that stands out. Honestly, Seabrook is probably as good as he is gonna get. There is nothing that says he can get better. If we're talking about Brent Burns, its a different story.

Archived