The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Speculation] Schultz expected to sign with VAN, TOR, or EDM

How about Edmonton?

- Favorite city to visit.

- Bigger window to win the cup since the core is so young

- Will likely put up a lot of points because of the ice time he'd receive

- There won't be tons of pressure to play mistake free as a rookie

- Gets to join a team sure the core is all 18-22 years old like he is.

Edler was on for 80 goals against, playing on the #1 team in the league and was only an even +/-. He was scored against far too often given the strength of the team he's on. Edler has the tools to be far better than he is (defensively), it remains to be seen if he can put it all together and be strong at both ends of the ice. And you also need to realize his points total was pretty skewed - he was 9th overall in scoring among D, but Bieksa was 2nd in scoring for D in the league at even strength...

Laughs or Laffs or Leafs aside, Schenn is still a work in progress and there are definitely worse NHL ready prospects on the right D. The potential upside (espescially defensively) remains epic. Its possible once he learns a good system and has confidence in his goalie he could make some big plays.

Again. The problem here is that you guys get to see Edler on a daily basis, where you have, in your mind, guys who are better because of their stats and the status of their names. Here's HFboards recent list of top 50 defense man. http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1207505

There's about 6-8 guys who are shoe ins, but after that. It could go any way. Many guys have their flaws, some people who post here, just don't see enough of the players to see them.

Chara

Weber

Letang

Doughty

Karlsson

Suter

Campbell

Yandle

Girardi

Pietrangelo

Boyle

Keith

Seabrook

Kronwall

Timonen

DelZotto

Streit

Wideman

Carle

Burns

Hamhuis

Shattenkirk

Buff

All guys who you could at the very least make a case for ahead of Edler based on their potential or where they are at already. Edler had big pts production this year but hes far from being a top10 guy. He likely makes the top 20 but its not any higher than about 15th at the most.

That's certainly not what I was getting at. Edler has had his ups and downs - I think he'd really benefit from a stay-at-home, physical partner - but it is surprising to see how many people on CDC want to throw him in as a spare part in deals as a result of stumbling in the second half of last season. Edler is just scratching at the surface of his potential - I'd hate to see him moved. And if he put up a share of his points on the power play, that would seem to counter the idea that he is an inferior point man on the power play, as I've heard a number of times from those lamenting Ehrhoff's 40 million dollar departure. He is a guy with all around potential - the second pairing wasn't that settled last season, and may not have had a great plus/minus season, but neither did the second line...

The point I made was that Edler's numbers were skewed, protected if you will. His even strength play needs improvement. 70% of every game is at even strength, he needs to be our top D at even strength, and he wasn't. When he is, if he can do that, then he'll be reaching his potential. It isn't a physical issue since he has all the tools needed, it's the mental side of the game.

Rey- Far too long of a post for me to copy on my iPhone but Seabrook >>>>>>>>>>>Edler. I wish people didn't just see the offensive numbers and watched the games because if they did they'd realize that the unbelieveable positional play of Brent Seabrook allows the overrated in his own end Duncan Keith to roam and play the style he does to get the numbers he does. Seabrook is as steady as they come in his own end and is by far a better defenseman than is Edler and its not really even close to be honest.

Archived