Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Ryan Kesler for Jordan Staal and here's why...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
107 replies to this topic

#1 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Jordan Staal wants out of PIT. He is sick of being a 3rd line Center. Even with his reduced icetime and offensive chances he is able to put up 20 goals and 30 assists. That's 50 points from a 3rd line centreman. He could put up 60-70 on our 2nd line. He would centre the 2nd PP unit, and start the 1st PK unit. He could spark Booth back to a 30 goal season. He would play all the same big minutes Kesler did except he is more of a playmaking, puck distributing centreman.

Kesler would look like a beast on either Crosby or Malkin's wing. Hello 40 goal season.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Staal-Higgins
Raymond/Jensen-Schroeder-Hansen
Lapierre-Malhotra-Kassian

PP1:

Booth-Sedin-Sedin

PP2:

Burrows-Staal-Higgins

PK1:

Staal-Burrows

PK2:

Malhotra-Hansen

#2 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Kesler will not get us Jordan Staal.

Honestly, I doubt Kesler and a 1st would get us Staal.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I think the Pens would do Kesler and a 1st, even though our 1st is low, there are a lot of players that can fall due to the depth of the draft. Maybe they want Subban after Fleury's debacle in the playoffs.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#4 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

I disagree.

Kesler would be a perfect replacement for the 3rd line center for Pittsburgh. I think they would take a good long look at it.

I would love to have Staal, and I think this is the only proposal that I've seen that involves Kesler that I would do.

Good hockey trade.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#5 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

Don`t like trading with other contenders. Crosby or Malkin with a healthy Ryan Kesler on their wing would look really dangerous.

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

No thank you.
Posted Image

#7 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

I think the Pens would do Kesler and a 1st, even though our 1st is low, there are a lot of players that can fall due to the depth of the draft. Maybe they want Subban after Fleury's debacle in the playoffs.

I disagree.

Kesler would be a perfect replacement for the 3rd line center for Pittsburgh. I think they would take a good long look at it.

I would love to have Staal, and I think this is the only proposal that I've seen that involves Kesler that I would do.

Good hockey trade.

Main reason is because Kesler is injured. They will want to make sure he can still play when he comes back. If he was healthy right now then yes they would do it for sure.

I also agree about Staal though. It would be nice to have him here.

I made a proposal a long time ago. Kesler + 2nd for Staal. It made sense for both sides but looking at the Carolina rumour a 2nd + Kesler (like I originally thought of when he was healthy) isnt going to cut it. 26th overall would if he was healthy

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 19 June 2012 - 07:38 PM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

You're crazy. Kesler is a selke winner and has scored 40 goals when healthy. One of the best two way forwards in the league. I wouldn't even do Kesler for J.Staal.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#9 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

You're crazy. Kesler is a selke winner and has scored 40 goals when healthy. One of the best two way forwards in the league. I wouldn't even do Kesler for J.Staal.

Im not crazy. If you wouldn't do Staal for Kesler straight up thats crazy (And this is coming from a huge Kesler fan. I own his jersey)

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 19 June 2012 - 07:39 PM.

2yo50sh.jpg

#10 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,199 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

No thank you.

Kesler > Staal.

A bad/injury rittled season doesn't change that, Kesler is better than Staal.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 19 June 2012 - 07:40 PM.

zackass.png

#11 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

When Kesler is healthy, he is the heart and soul of this team. It is hard to replace someone that will go to war for your team.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 19 June 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#12 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

I don't get why people are so high on Staal. He's great and all, but personally, without being a huge homer, I think that Kesler is a lot better. You don't trade the heart of your team for someone who's career high is 50 points. Kesler got 49 points after he missed training camp and didn't look nearly as good as he did last year. Also, Staal is pretty injury prone too.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#13 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

When Kesler is healthy, he is the heart and soul of this team. It is hard to replace someone that will go to war for your team.

lol heart and soul? a guy who is a premiere diver and embellisher, cocky and arrogant over nothing. If he's the heart and soul, no wonder our team has a bad name around the league.

As for this trade, I'm all for and it and I think the Pens would do it. I also made a proposal for J.Staal and getting him would be the best move the Canucks can make. I think this trade would work well for both teams. Anyone saying it's lopsided either way is an idiot, if anything I think the Canucks would slightly win the trade.

#14 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

We might get Staal with Kesler + Winger, but I don't think that's necessary.
Posted Image

#15 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Judging from my username, you probably know that I disagree with you :P

Kesler, IMO, brings much much more to our team than Jordan Staal would ever bring. Kesler just fits in Vancouer, no other player can replace him here. Kesler has flourished here and continues to improve. He has gone from a career 3rd line checker to a second line beast and a 1st line center on about 15 NHL teams. Kesler has brought so many memories, had so many big goals, and brings so much to the table.

Can one off year brain wash all you fans to thinking that Jordan Staal is a better player? Ridiculous. Sure, Staals only 24, but I think Kesler has more to offer to the Canucks. He obviously loves it here. He has EARNED his spot here in Vancouver.

Shame on all of you who wan him out just after one off year. That too with a major injury nagging him all year long. 49 points in 76 games while playing injured is pretty good if you ask me.
Posted Image

#16 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

lol heart and soul? a guy who is a premiere diver and embellisher, cocky and arrogant over nothing. If he's the heart and soul, no wonder our team has a bad name around the league.

As for this trade, I'm all for and it and I think the Pens would do it. I also made a proposal for J.Staal and getting him would be the best move the Canucks can make. I think this trade would work well for both teams. Anyone saying it's lopsided either way is an idiot, if anything I think the Canucks would slightly win the trade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBVIlA8pNo&t=8m0s

At 8:00

Edited by Pavel Datsyuk, 19 June 2012 - 08:05 PM.

Posted Image

#17 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

For the record, I don't WANT to trade Kesler at all, but if a piece like Jordan Staal was coming the other way, I would listen.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#18 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

I don't get why people are so high on Staal. He's great and all, but personally, without being a huge homer, I think that Kesler is a lot better. You don't trade the heart of your team for someone who's career high is 50 points. Kesler got 49 points after he missed training camp and didn't look nearly as good as he did last year. Also, Staal is pretty injury prone too.

Are you kidding? Kesler is a lot better? Hell no! You need to look at things more in depth, don't just compare the 2 based on point production. Kesler plays a lot more minutes then Staal, Kesler also gets 1st unit PP time, something that Staal doesn't. Staal is stuck behind Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart. He plays majority of his minutes in defensive situations and still puts up 50 points on average. He is bigger and a better play maker then Kesler, and is about 4 years younger.

#19 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Terrible idea.

Some of you flip flop more then Mitt Romney.

Just last season you guys were dubbing Kesler as one of the best players in the league and after a season of him recovering from an injury and being injured again you guys want him gone for someone who is half as good in his own zone...

You guys are ridiculous, I pity some of you, especially the guy above me.

Edited by Armada, 19 June 2012 - 08:09 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#20 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Are you kidding? Kesler is a lot better? Hell no! You need to look at things more in depth, don't just compare the 2 based on point production. Kesler plays a lot more minutes then Staal, Kesler also gets 1st unit PP time, something that Staal doesn't. Staal is stuck behind Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart. He plays majority of his minutes in defensive situations and still puts up 50 points on average. He is bigger and a better play maker then Kesler, and is about 4 years younger.

Better player? Based on what? You think teams send their top guys on Staal to shut him down? Teams are too busy with Malkin and Crosby. Staal is a great player, but he's not better than Kesler.

Posted Image

#21 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBVIlA8pNo&t=8m0s

At 8:00

#22 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

@Super_Canuck, :picard: Is all I have to say to all of your moronic posts.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#23 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hmmm, tere was someone else on the LA Kings who is a premier diver as well... HMMMM if only I could remember....

OH YEA! It's Dustin Brown. And what's that? He has a cup?

Point is that to win in todays game, you gotta be able to bend the rules a little. Go out of that comfort spot and try and make something happen. Look at the last few winners, LA I just mentioned, Bruins- Marchand a pain in the a$$ all series long. Took shot after shot to the Sedins. Cocky and arragant too. But what does he have? That's right, A Stanley Cup. Byfuglien on Chicago, right in Lu's grill the whole series, basically won the series for them. We need Kesler, he's probably one of the few people on this team who is willing to stand up and do something for this team.
Posted Image

#24 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 19 June 2012 - 08:10 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#25 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Better player? Based on what? You think teams send their top guys on Staal to shut him down? Teams are too busy with Malkin and Crosby. Staal is a great player, but he's not better than Kesler.

lol you answered your own question in that statement. If Kesler was on that team, nobody would send their top guys to shut him down either, heck they don't even send their top guys to stop him here. Top guys are usually trying to stop Hank and Danny

#26 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

lol you answered your own question in that statement. If Kesler was on that team, nobody would send their top guys to shut him down either, heck they don't even send their top guys to stop him here. Top guys are usually trying to stop Hank and Danny

Staal plays on the third line while Kesler plays on the second. Who do you think has better players on them? Kesler carried the team through Nashville last year. Staal has never had more than 10 points in the playoffs.

Posted Image

#27 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

What's pretty funny is you think Kesler belongs on the 3rd line.

He would be on the 1st line for half the teams in the league.

Face it, when both are at their bests, Staal is half the player Kesler is and I bet if I go back into your posts from the 2010-11 season I bet I'll find plenty of "I love Kesler posts".

Edited by Armada, 19 June 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

@Super_Canuck, :picard: Is all I have to say to all of your moronic posts.

That's cause morons like you probably don't watch any other hockey games other then the Canucks', hence you wouldn't understand and are biased. Guys like you think Kesler's the best thing out there. I'm as big of a Canucks fan as anyone here but I'm not biased. Staal has better tools, more skill and sees the ice much better and can create plays. If you watch some Penguins games next year, put your bias aside and just watch what Staal can do. I bet if you do a poll with any of the hockey analysts on any network, 9 out of 10 would take Staal over Kesler.

#29 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

I think MG would have more leverage in this trade and be able to get another asset from PIT. He can always argue that Kesler is a former 40 goal scorer and Selke Nominee who can jump right onto their 1st line as a winger. Only thing Staal has going for him is his age and his potential in a top 6 role.

How about Kesler for Staal + 2nd round pick?

#30 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

I think MG would have more leverage in this trade and be able to get another asset from PIT. He can always argue that Kesler is a former 40 goal scorer and Selke Nominee who can jump right onto their 1st line as a winger. Only thing Staal has going for him is his age and his potential in a top 6 role.

How about Kesler for Staal + 2nd round pick?

Wait a second...

Why would you want to trade Staal if he's never done anything Kesler's done... I fail to see any logic.

That's cause morons like you probably don't watch any other hockey games other then the Canucks', hence you wouldn't understand and are biased. Guys like you think Kesler's the best thing out there. I'm as big of a Canucks fan as anyone here but I'm not biased. Staal has better tools, more skill and sees the ice much better and can create plays. If you watch some Penguins games next year, put your bias aside and just watch what Staal can do. I bet if you do a poll with any of the hockey analysts on any network, 9 out of 10 would take Staal over Kesler.

The "What have you done for me lately" statement suits you so well.

Edited by Armada, 19 June 2012 - 08:22 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.