The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Ellerby won't do. The Panthers were debating whether to qualify him or not. He's big, skates well, is only 23, but they haven't been blown away by his development. I wouldn't shake a stick at him, but he is another lefty - not really what the Nucks need. Petrovic is younger (and also 'unproven') but I'd much rather acquire him as a second piece in a Luongo deal.

Just want to point out that Schneids is the man. He signed a pre-emptive contract that hamstrung the teams that were looking to offer sheet him - confirms what he has been in his years as an upcoming Canuck - a real team guy. In light of the fact that Weber, the captain of the Preds, held out after his team had already lost Suter, I'd say the Canucks are pretty fortunate to have a character guy like Schneider make that commitment in good faith. I hope the team rewards him by playing some mad hockey in front of him. Weber - meh. Extremely pleased that MG signed Garrison, and hoping that a certain right winger, power forward, very loyal guy, also a captain, winds up opting for his best chance of winning a Cup...

Ellerby won't do. The Panthers were debating whether to qualify him or not. He's big, skates well, is only 23, but they haven't been blown away by his development. I wouldn't shake a stick at him, but he is another lefty - not really what the Nucks need. Petrovic is younger (and also 'unproven') but I'd much rather acquire him as a second piece in a Luongo deal.

Just want to point out that Schneids is the man. He signed a pre-emptive contract that hamstrung the teams that were looking to offer sheet him - confirms what he has been in his years as an upcoming Canuck - a real team guy. In light of the fact that Weber, the captain of the Preds, held out after his team had already lost Suter, I'd say the Canucks are pretty fortunate to have a character guy like Schneider make that commitment in good faith. I hope the team rewards him by playing some mad hockey in front of him. Weber - meh. Extremely pleased that MG signed Garrison, and hoping that a certain right winger, power forward, very loyal guy, also a captain, winds up opting for his best chance of winning a Cup...

Doan still hasn't signed. And now knowing Weber met with the Canucks, these are 2 possible reasons why Lu trade hasn't happened yet.

With Weber off the table (at least for a yr), and Doan apparently dwindling his list of teams this weekend, we might see a trade sooner rather than later.

I think Ellerby is the more realistic defenseman prospect that the Canucks could get out Florida and I am getting quite sick and tired of all the proposals involving Gudbranson. Luongo is a luxury not a necessity when it comes to the Panthers. They already have two veteran goalies who are capable of keeping them competitive and a solid prospect in Markstrom who should be ready in a few seasons. If Gillis is truly holding out for a player like Gudbranson then they might as well insert a lazy boy chair with a recliner and cup holder for Luongo behind the bench.

My only concern with trying to acquire a good defenseman prospect from Florida is that they would likely want a good young defenseman back, likely Tanev. My question is, is Ellerby an upgrade over Tanev? I don't know much about Ellerby other than he is big but still has to grow into his body and plays a shutdown role. Even though the Canucks would benefit having more size on the back end does Ellerby have a higher ceiling or are they about equal in value?

Doan still hasn't signed. And now knowing Weber met with the Canucks, these are 2 possible reasons why Lu trade hasn't happened yet.

With Weber off the table (at least for a yr), and Doan apparently dwindling his list of teams this weekend, we might see a trade sooner rather than later.

I like those clubs, but with all due respect to them, I watched their first round matchup - the both had a massive weak spot (that won't match up very well vs the Schneid) - the Canucks may not have the forward depth they do, but I like the Canucks blueline and back-end much more, and the Canucks forwards, imo, are about to show some serious improvement - a big mean Doan would be an epic addition, and depending upon what MG pulls off in a Luongo deal, the Canucks, despite the Kings run, are the team to beat.

I think people know now that we won't get gudbranson or hudbereau and reports also tell us that tallon doesn't want to give up bjudstad howden or matthias and they are still very high on markstrom. however I hope kopecky and goc will be coming back. kopecky has gotten 20 assits the last two years I think with booth and kesler 30+assists would be easy for him not to mention he 6'3 and goc is a perfect defensive 3rd line center with some offensive upside just entering his prime low cap hit perfect with higgins and hansen. I don't know if tallon would agreed to give up petrovic or robak or ellerby

so the trade is something like this...

to fld

luongo

to van

kopecky

goc

ellerby/petrovic/robak/1st 2014

lineup

sedins burrows

booth kesler kopecky

higgins goc hansen

volpatti malhotra lappy

hamhuis bieksa

garrison edler

ballard tanev/ellerby/petrovic/robak

alberts

do you think MG should get those players and would you be happy with this trade?

I think people know now that we won't get gudbranson or hudbereau and reports also tell us that tallon doesn't want to give up bjudstad howden or matthias and they are still very high on markstrom. however I hope kopecky and goc will be coming back. kopecky has gotten 20 assits the last two years I think with booth and kesler 30+assists would be easy for him not to mention he 6'3 and goc is a perfect defensive 3rd line center with some offensive upside just entering his prime low cap hit perfect with higgins and hansen. I don't know if tallon would agreed to give up petrovic or robak or ellerby

to fld

luongo

to van

kopecky

goc

lineup

sedins burrows

booth kesler kopecky

higgins goc hansen

volpatti malhotra lappy

hamhuis bieksa

garrison edler

alberts

do you think MG should get those players and would you be happy with this trade?

Pittsburgh and Philly are both strong up front, but they both have holes on their defense and some question marks in goal IMO.

Vancouver is a much more balanced team with Doan in the lineup than either of those two teams.

And I don't think Philly even has plans for Doan if they just used up the last of their cap space to potentially sign Weber.

to fld

luongo

to van

kopecky

goc

lineup

sedins burrows

booth kesler kopecky

higgins goc hansen

volpatti malhotra lappy

hamhuis bieksa

garrison edler

alberts

No, I don't think MG makes that move and I would not be happy if that was the return

Kopecky is a downgrade on Raymond - yes, he is 6'3" but if people complain that Raymond is soft, Kopecky's 45 hits in 80 games is not what the Canucks are looking for, and he doesn't have Raymond's speed, he doesn't have Raymond's scoring potential, and he is another left handed right winger - really don't see any point in acquriing him at a higher cap hit than Mason.

Not sure where you heard that Matthias is now another one of the untouchable prospects, but including him with Gudbranson, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Kulikov, Howden and Markstrom is getting borderline ridiculous - I don't think any of these sources can claim to take this from Tallon's mouth.

Bottom line - the Canucks are not going to settle for a deal like that - where they take two average roster players for a franchise goaltender, save no cap space in the process, and ultimately make their bid to Doan untenable. If Doan signs elsewhere, perhaps they might compromise and take Goc with a prospect and a pick, but I think they'd simply hold out instead until they get a young player or two that make sense.

Archived