Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4386 replies to this topic

#721 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

the point there being that a guy like Garrison will cost no assets, whereas Schenn is a 3.6 million project that would cost Luongo - who may be better 'spent' elsewhere.

Garrison had 1 good year playing with a fantastic puck mover in Campbell.

Project? That is very, very arguable. At barely over 20 years of age on a TERRIBLE hockey team he has averaged 22 points, 230 hits, and 130 blocked shots, while ONLY being a combined -13 the last 2 years. People act like this guy is a clown because he was expected to be Scott Stevens.

Unreal people...Unreal.
You will always be on our mind and in our heart. RIP Luc!

John Garrett after a brutal pass by Olli Jokinen:

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#722 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Both Goalies will be at training camp in the fall

This thread will have 100,000 pages 10 years from now when #1 of the chicago wolves finally packs it in.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#723 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

whereas if Florida turns around and offers Kulikov (or Winnipeg offers...) everyone would be wondering why the hell anyone considered Schenn a possibility...

Kulikov and Gudbranson are the equivalent for Florida as Keith and Seabrook were in Chicago under the reign of Tallon. Not necessarily in terms of talent or style of play even, but in regards to being the cornerstone pieces on defense they plan to build around for the near future.

"Jokinen makes a pass 8 feet behind anybody, to no-one. That's Calgary's first line, unfortunately for them."

#724 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

If the reports are true I am happy that Gillis said no for a couple reason.

1) Schenn would help the Canucks out but who would win the trade more, I deftainly say Leafs do. While Schenn is only 22 and still is developing he could hurt the Canucks by not catching onto Av's game plan which most likely will have him nailed to the bench. Luongo gives the leafs 30 wins and most likely a playoff spot.

2) I honestly think Luongo is worth more than a player that has a bunch of question marks, I am not saying that Luongo will get us a roster player and a couple prospects but just look at all the deals that has happen with goalie lately. Bobrovsky got Philly 3 draft picks while he only played 25 games last year? Sure Luongo's contract is large but he still has a good 5 season left in him.

#725 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Garrison had 1 good year playing with a fantastic puck mover in Campbell.

Project? That is very, very arguable. At barely over 20 years of age on a TERRIBLE hockey team he has averaged 22 points, 230 hits, and 130 blocked shots, while ONLY being a combined -13 the last 2 years. People act like this guy is a clown because he was expected to be Scott Stevens.

Unreal people...Unreal.

no one said he is a "clown" - the point is that Gillis is holding out for a reason...what is unreal is that people can turn on their tv or computer, read a few articles, listen to Darren Dreger or whoever, and think they now know what offers Gillis is receiving and what he should do.

There is another day tomorrow. Try a little patience.
Personally I consider it a damn good day - the Canucks picked up a center with the 26th pick that we really couldn't have expected to be available.

#726 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Kulikov and Gudbranson are the equivalent for Florida as Keith and Seabrook were in Chicago under the reign of Tallon. Not necessarily in terms of talent or style of play even, but in regards to being the cornerstone pieces on defense they plan to build around for the near future.

Whereas Schenn has been shopped by the Leafs for the last six months....

#727 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

What is the percentage of completion of this trade? Anyone know??
Posted Image

#728 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Maybe MG is finding a way to get Quinten Howden back along with some other pieces?

#729 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

If the reports are true I am happy that Gillis said no for a couple reason.

1) Schenn would help the Canucks out but who would win the trade more, I deftainly say Leafs do. While Schenn is only 22 and still is developing he could hurt the Canucks by not catching onto Av's game plan which most likely will have him nailed to the bench. Luongo gives the leafs 30 wins and most likely a playoff spot.

2) I honestly think Luongo is worth more than a player that has a bunch of question marks, I am not saying that Luongo will get us a roster player and a couple prospects but just look at all the deals that has happen with goalie lately. Bobrovsky got Philly 3 draft picks while he only played 25 games last year? Sure Luongo's contract is large but he still has a good 5 season left in him.

1) Once he is dealt, what Luongo does means absolutely nothing because only the results of Cory Schneider will determine if it was the right move.

2) What are all these questions on Luke Schenn?!?!? As I see it...there is only one; his foot speed. However...If the NHL decides to slow the game down and call it like they did in the playoffs this year, Luke Schenn will be a stay at home beast in this league for a VERY long time.

#730 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Not sure why people are saying Tallon won't move Gudbranson. This is professional sports, you generally have to give up something to get something. Today we saw Rutherford moved B. Sutter, a guy who was apparently untouchable. He's their assistant captain, Rutherford went so far as to trade for or signed most of Sutters family. Yet, he was moved today for an older, more expensive version of himself - a guy who'll be a UFA in 1 yr. LA said Schenn was 'untouchable', he's now in Philly. It happens all the time.

I'm guessing Gudbranson is Gillis's target, Friedman reported as such at trade deadline. History tells us Gillis likes to pursue the same guys (Gragnani), even if it takes longer than anticipated. It was also 'speculated' that Burke was angry that Hodgson was traded 1 day after Gillis told him he wasn't available. Weeks later it was reported Gillis would only trade him for 6 specific players (enter Gudbranson). From all of this, to me, it means Toronto doesn't have anything Gillis wants - perhaps only as a fall back option (Schenn). Dollars to donuts, Gillis find a way to bring in Gudbranson (unless there are other unknown teams interested).

Edited by RunningWild, 22 June 2012 - 10:21 PM.

#731 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Mg is gonna take Burke out tonight drink em under the table and make the deal then.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#732 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

no one said he is a "clown" - the point is that Gillis is holding out for a reason...what is unreal is that people can turn on their tv or computer, read a few articles, listen to Darren Dreger or whoever, and think they now know what offers Gillis is receiving and what he should do.

There is another day tomorrow. Try a little patience.
Personally I consider it a damn good day - the Canucks picked up a center with the 26th pick that we really couldn't have expected to be available.

I am having patience. I have mentioned many times that we need to see what we end up with rather than Schenn (if that becomes the case) to determine whether MG did the right thing or not. All I am saying is that I HOPE MG has some knowledge that he is going to land a better defenseman than Schenn soon to be able to turn down such an offer (potentially).

#733 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Mg is gonna take Burke out tonight drink em under the table and make the deal then.

Haha ... I sincerely don't think you'll see Gillis and Burke having a drink together. Unless one of them poisoned the other's drink ::D . In fact, I bet Gilman and Nonis is doing all the talking, Gillis and Burke don't speak to each other.

#734 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

What is the percentage of completion of this trade? Anyone know??

well played, good timing...
um 59%?

#735 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Whereas Schenn has been shopped by the Leafs for the last six months....

I think so and didn't Schenn spend time in the dog house this year too? I like his physical game but too much of a gamble for a straight up Luongo swap. I remember watching one Leaf game against Florida where Schenn whiffed on the puck and the Panthers scored 10 seconds in.

Edler and Schenn could be a nightmare in there own zone.
http://Posted Image

#736 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Not sure why people are saying Tallon won't move Gudbranson. This is professional sports, you generally have to give up something to get something. Today we saw Rutherford moved B. Sutter, a guy who was apparently untouchable. He's their assistant captain, Rutherford went so far as to trade for or signed most of Sutters family. Yet he was moved today for an older, more expensive version of himself. LA said Schenn was 'untouchable', he's now in Philly. It happens all the time.

I'm guessing Gudbranson is Gillis's target, Friedman reported as such at trade deadline. History tells us Gillis likes to pursue the same guys (Gragnani), even if it takes longer than anticipated. It was also 'speculated' that Burke was angry that Hodgson was traded 1 day after Gillis told him he wasn't available. Weeks later it was reported Gillis would only trade him for 6 specific players (enter Gudbranson). From all of this, to me, it means Toronto doesn't have anything Gillis wants - perhaps only as a fall back option (Schenn). Dollars to donuts, Gillis find a way to bring in Gudbranson (unless there are other unknown teams interested).

I think you are crazy if you think Tallon is trading Gudbranson for Luongo.

#737 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

I think so and didn't Schenn spend time in the dog house this year too? I like his physical game but too much of a gamble for a straight up Luongo swap. I remember watching one Leaf game against Florida where Schenn whiffed on the puck and the Panthers scored 10 seconds in.

Genius post. Utilizing one game and one mistake to analyze and make an overall assessment about a player. Freaking brilliant.

Here are some numbers for ya: 22 years old. Never had more than 71 PIM's. Averaged 22 points (for a guy with supposedly no offensive upside), with over 230 hits, and 130 blocked shots, while being a combined minus 13 the past 2 years on a DREADFUL hockey team.

You take your 1 game...I'll take my 2 seasons.

#738 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Not sure why people are saying Tallon won't move Gudbranson. This is professional sports, you generally have to give up something to get something. Today we saw Rutherford moved B. Sutter, a guy who was apparently untouchable. He's their assistant captain, Rutherford went so far as to trade for or signed most of Sutters family. Yet, he was moved today for an older, more expensive version of himself - a guy who'll be a UFA in 1 yr. LA said Schenn was 'untouchable', he's now in Philly. It happens all the time.

He does like Gudbranson that is for sure - and Florida also has Kulikov, Ellerby, Robak, Petrovic and now Matheson for young blueliners.
We picked up Gaunce, but they also have Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Matthias, Howden....

Who knows what a team like Winnipeg might put in play.

The way I look at it, tomorrow is another suspense filled draft day. I'm going to enjoy it. I think the Canucks will get an attractive return for Luongo - I mean, a 2nd and two other picks for Bobrovsky...

#739 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

I think we saw an example of 2 classy GM's tonight doing the right thing for a player and still getting what they want, Shero and Rutherford for J. Staal. If Luongo really wants to be in Florida because of his family, Gillis should do the right thing and as a way of respect to Luongo and thanks to his years here, find a way to get it done and stop dragging this sh*t on for so long. Yes, even if Gudbranson isn't coming back this way and we get 2 players back in return named Sturm and Samuelson ... j/k about the last part. .

#740 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Who knows what other pieces might be involved? None of us.

#741 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

He does like Gudbranson that is for sure - and Florida also has Kulikov, Ellerby, Robak, Petrovic and now Matheson for young blueliners.
We picked up Gaunce, but they also have Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Matthias, Howden....

Who knows what a team like Winnipeg might put in play.

The way I look at it, tomorrow is another suspense filled draft day. I'm going to enjoy it. I think the Canucks will get an attractive return for Luongo - I mean, a 2nd and two other picks for Bobrovsky...

Winnipeg has a lot to offer, but in no way do I see Lu waiving the NTC to go there.

#742 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Based on what? I gave an analysis why I think it's possible based on reports from Friedman and history of Gillis. What's your rationale?

#743 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Schenn is a defensive guy... Schenn got into trouble cause Leafs wanted him to get into the play more, Schenn is a defensive D man and he would work well with Edler and their both big guys who hit hard! Schenn can look after the defensive part and let Edler go with the offensive part. Schenn would be a great fit with this D core with how it's made up now.

#744 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

I think we saw an example of 2 classy GM's tonight doing the right thing for a player and still getting what they want, Shero and Rutherford for J. Staal. If Luongo really wants to be in Florida because of his family, Gillis should do the right thing and as a way of respect to Luongo and thanks to his years here, find a way to get it done and stop dragging this sh*t on for so long. Yes, even if Gudbranson isn't coming back this way and we get 2 players back in return named Sturm and Samuelson ... j/k about the last part. .

F that! You know what those 2 GM's have?!?! A freaking Stanley Cup. Gillis better do whatever helps this team get one of those before he worries about making friends and sending a guy he didn't acquire to the place he wants to go.

#745 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Good on Gillis for refusing the one for one Schenn for Luango offer (if reports are accurate). Given how long Schenn's name has been ought there its obvious he can make that deal anytime. Presently, it can only discourage Schultz from coming our way. On a related subject, I wonder if the Leaf's drafting the top rated offensive D man signals that they don't like their chances of securing the Anaheim dodger.

#746 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

I agree with this to an extent, and would like to see Roberto go to Florida - that is what the rumblings seem to be leaning towards and today it was suggested that Florida just needs a bit of time - they may have meant they wanted to know what they'd get in the draft so they know what (among their many young assets) they are willing to move.

Edited by oldnews, 22 June 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#747 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Based on what? I gave an analysis why I think it's possible based on reports from Friedman and history of Gillis. What's your rationale?

My rationale is the history of Dale Tallon, who built his core around 2 young and super talented defenseman in Chicago and that I see him doing so in Florida as well.

I understand they have some depth there but most people think the Kulikov and Gudbranson specifically are by far their 2 best at the position.

Let me be wrong...PLEASE...I just don't see it.

#748 KeslerownsIginla

KeslerownsIginla

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Gillis has a chance to screw this team royally if he waits too long and Cory gets an offer sheet thrown at him. Him playing hardball could cost this team as much as it could help them.

Just sayin'

#749 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Gillis has a chance to screw this team royally if he waits too long and Cory gets an offer sheet thrown at him. Him playing hardball could cost this team as much as it could help them.

Just sayin'

Or the Schneider negotiations are simply being kept quiet so as not to tip his hand - start panicking on June 30th - a deal may be done anytime between now and then and Liut has made it clear that he and Schneider are extremely reasonable, and prepared to come back next year with Luongo here.

Edited by oldnews, 22 June 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#750 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

Just sayin'

Since Gillis took Schneids to qualifying offer (whatever that means), how much time does this buy the Canucks. I know people can't throw offer sheets on Jul 1st.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.