The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

ChrisCo!

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Smyl, Linden, Naslund

these are the only 3 players that have had their jerseys retired by the Canucks in the teams 41 year history. None of them ever sat out half a season waiting for their trade demands to be met.

Retiring Jerseys, like the naming of captains is not all about skill. Stan Smyl was not even a point per game player, and yet, he has received all the honors any Canuck could be bestowed by the organization. Why? Because he played his whole 13 year career here, including (if my memory serves me) 8 as captain. No. He never had a 60, a 50, or even a 40 goal season, but he played every shift like it was the last time he would ever be on the ice.

Trevor Linden spent 16 of his 21 years in a Canucks sweater, and were it his choice it would've been 21/21. He is the youngest Canucks ever to be named team captain, and like Smyl put 100% effort out every time he was on the ice. He also like Smyl, still lives in Vancouver and is very involved with the organization, and community.

Markus Naslund spent 11 of 15 NHL seasons with the Canucks, once again, like Smyl and Linden he put his all in every night, and was a donor to many charities during his time in Vancouver. Naslund is currently the franchise leader in goals, and points.

And now, Pavel Bure. who spent only 7 of 13 years in the NHL with the Canucks. And left a sour taste in the mouths of Canucks fans, by sitting out a series of games while waiting for a trade demand to be be met. In my opinion that kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Pavel Bure is also not involved with our organization, or community at all anymore, unless he's done things I don't know about. Yes he's probably the most prolific goal scorer to ever play for the Canucks, but compare him to the three players that have their jerseys retired already. His charter does not even compare to theirs.

This is just my opinion. I remember how devastated, and sick I was when he left on such bad terms after what our team had done for him, and I don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired. I know there's going to be people that disagree with me, but I think we should put him in the Ring of Honor, Because his skill level can't be ignored, But the retiring of a Jersey number should be reserved for The Smyls, Lindens, and Naslunds of the franchise.

In 10-15 years I wanna see Jerseys like the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows retired, those are the kind of players that deserve it.

Just my long opinion

JGM

Interesting comments made by Jim Robson on 1040 yesterday...he believes that Bure would not want his jersey retired here because he would likely get booed(not a ringing endorsement for all Canuck fans)....who needs it?

Robson also was in disbelief about the number of people bitching about the Canucks all the time,since they are an elite team after all.Times have indeed changed Jim..

Cliff said the other day on Hockey Central @ Noon that Bure could bench 225 x 40. I call BS on that big time. One of the biggest guys at the CFL combine this spring did for 37 reps at best. The difference is the he is also 6'4 and 310lbs.

It just doesn't seem like he would have his number retired. Look at the three guys up there: Linden, Naslund, and Smyl. Bure probably has more skill than the three but what he lacked was the public image. The others were well known for the clutch play AND community relation. ROH seems like the best place for #10.

Retire, the most exciting player that will EVER put on a Canucks sweater. The reason he wanted out was because of the Vancouver management, time to put that aside and mend the fences with the Canucks most skilled player ever.

If that was truly the reason one has to question the timing. He announced at at the end of the 97/98 season that he wouldn't play for Vancouver the following season and wanted to be traded. Griffiths had been bought out and Quinn was long gone. Why wait until those "that had mistreated him" are gone and his favorite guy in hockey (Keenan) was both GM and coach, with an owner that wasn't particularly involved? The timing makes no sense. I'm not buying what Bure is selling. Gillis (his former agent) has said himself that the whole story has never been told.

Also, Gillis said the club does not plan to honour retired Canucks winger Pavel Bure following his recent induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Gillis, who formerly acted as Bure's agent, said the Canucks offered the Russian Rocket the opportunity but he declined.

The team has come under fire from fans and critics for not retiring Bure's No. 10 jersey or doing more to trumpet his success. Gillis said the team also offered Bure a chance to be honoured earlier, but he rejected the opportunity on grounds that he is still to young.

The GM said the club could still do something in the future if Bure changes his mind.

If Bure has no interest in the Canucks then I see no reason for us to do anything. Even thou he was fantastic to watch

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm bumping an old thread but just thought I'd post this picture. My apologies if it's already been posted. His account isn't verified but his wife's account is and she tweets at him pretty often. I thought it was interesting.

258mm80.png

Oh and what's up with Russians overdoing the )))))'s ? :lol:

I know I'm bumping an old thread but just thought I'd post this picture. My apologies if it's already been posted. His account isn't verified but his wife's account is and she tweets at him pretty often. I thought it was interesting.

258mm80.png

Oh and what's up with Russians overdoing the )))))'s ? :lol:

Archived