The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider can file for arbitration on July 5th which indicates something is up.

It isn't in Schneider's or the Canuck's interest to sign a long term deal. MG is proceding on the basis of Sschneider's performance in the AHL which included a Calder final and his NHL games including CUP play. In all instances he has performed admirably. This is what makes him attractive to most NHL GMs. The caveat mentioned by many is his lack of NHL games. I must conclude that Van wants a few seasons for CS to prove his durability and CS wants a few years to garner the big contract that would be due him if he in fact does perform up to expectations. I mentioned 3 years previously but would not be surprised to see a 2 year contract.

The base rate on a contract could be lower with incentives built in to reflect ice success. If anything fans should have learnt over the past six years that this kid is a straight shooter. He has had multiple opportunities to be disruptive in his desire to play a bigger role. He spent an extra year in the AHL when most hockey people said he was ready for the NHL. He patiently watched Lou play the large proportion of games over the past 2 years when a serious case for more was there. When the Van press tried to create a goaltender controversy he quickly squelched said talk. With all this said fans should not expect Schneider to roll over in these negociations. He has paid his dues. He has played by the rules and been a team player. His opportunity now is well earned and deserved. He is an intelligent man and has an experienced agent. A 2 year or 3 year deal at $3M plus bonus would carry him to a point in his career where a long term deal and much bigger money would be due.

As a Canuck fan I do fully expect the Canucks to win a CUP within 3 years. If they do not their window of opportunity could be gone. I suspect Cory realizes that same risk exists and might even consider wanting to move on. A shorter term contract in that time frame would allow him to do so.

It isn't in Schneider's or the Canuck's interest to sign a long term deal. MG is proceding on the basis of Sschneider's performance in the AHL which included a Calder final and his NHL games including CUP play. In all instances he has performed admirably. This is what makes him attractive to most NHL GMs. The caveat mentioned by many is his lack of NHL games. I must conclude that Van wants a few seasons for CS to prove his durability and CS wants a few years to garner the big contract that would be due him if he in fact does perform up to expectations. I mentioned 3 years previously but would not be surprised to see a 2 year contract.

The base rate on a contract could be lower with incentives built in to reflect ice success. If anything fans should have learnt over the past six years that this kid is a straight shooter. He has had multiple opportunities to be disruptive in his desire to play a bigger role. He spent an extra year in the AHL when most hockey people said he was ready for the NHL. He patiently watched Lou play the large proportion of games over the past 2 years when a serious case for more was there. When the Van press tried to create a goaltender controversy he quickly squelched said talk. With all this said fans should not expect Schneider to roll over in these negociations. He has paid his dues. He has played by the rules and been a team player. His opportunity now is well earned and deserved. He is an intelligent man and has an experienced agent. A 2 year or 3 year deal at $3M plus bonus would carry him to a point in his career where a long term deal and much bigger money would be due.

As a Canuck fan I do fully expect the Canucks to win a CUP within 3 years. If they do not their window of opportunity could be gone. I suspect Cory realizes that same risk exists and might even consider wanting to move on. A shorter term contract in that time frame would allow him to do so.

Actually I was looking at it from Schneider's point of view as well. A long term deal is not in his interests at this time because his value would probably not be fully realized. When he has a couple of full seasons as a #1 under his belt along with a potential CUP his value will reach full potential. That would be his optimum time for a long term deal. That is why I anticipate a 2 - 3 year interim contract.

Schneider is gonna get offer sheeted for 6.2 mill

By any of:

Toronto

Tampa

Chicago

Columbus

Washington

NJ if MB retires

Gillis is in danger territory

He's gone from 2011 genius to 2012 dunce- get out the pointed cap and see yourself in the corner MG, you better not F this franchise up

I don't like the rumour that Schneider is looking for a 1 year deal so he can have options next offseason, if this is true we have to move him now and keep Luongo. Can't fault Schneider if he does decide he wants to move on from Vancouver as he's been great to this organization and did everything we could ask from him and was never a problem given who he had a head of him. Hopefully it's just a rumour with no truth to it as I want him here for a long long time.

I think a 5 year 25 million dollar offer would be pretty good value for Schneider from an opposition GM. The one thing Schneider will have to worry about signing an offer is if it is too longterm and the canucks match he may be stuck behind Luongo for as long as it takes to move him.

Having said all this, if we have to write off a year in order to do whats best for the franchise and wait for Weber so be it. No matter what if we match a 6mill+ offer for Cory then we can always trade him after. If no one bites on either of them we can always just split them 41 games a year until someone pays up.

Archived