The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

France: Mandatory breathalyzer test in ALL vehicles

key2thecup

the whole process of going out of your way to install the system, pay for it, and use it is a major inconvinience....Basically millions of people who have never in their lives driven drunk are being forced to pay for a breathalyzer system, make time in their lives to actually install it (have you ever waited hours in a mechanic shop waiting for your car???) and actually use it before they drive...And if you dont do that, you will get ticketed for it.. i just dont see why millions of innocent people should be subject to this sort of harrasment when they have not done anything wrong...Are all the photo radars and speed traps not enough? now they are making excuses to ticket people for doing absolutely nothing wrong.-Waits for someone to use the "oh please think of the children" line...

like i said, Far stiffer punishments for the guilty....Life is not a video game... There is no magic solution to protect everyone from every single idiot, murderer, rapist, drunk driver out there...gotta do your own end, and sometimes hope for the best..... Mass punishment is not the answer

like i said, Far stiffer punishments for the guilty....Life is not a video game... There is no magic solution to protect everyone from every single idiot, murderer, rapist, drunk driver out there...gotta do your own end, and sometimes hope for the best..... Mass punishment is not the answer

A bit confused as the articles don't mention that said breathalyzer would prevent your car from starting. Sounds like a lame duck to me.

The government is hoping to reduce the number of deaths related to drunk driving by encouraging drivers to test themselves if they think they’ve had too much to drink.

If you aren't drinking and driving, this really isn't an inconvenience at all.

As long as the thing doesn't look ugly in the car, I'd be for it.

The commercials and DD campaigns clearly aren't effective enough.

Stupid idea. How are they gonna work this out for rental cars?

I could understand having a high visibility vest if your car breaks down (which is mandatory in most European countries) but this is useless, its gonna help as much as speed cameras and traffic cameras help by doing nothing.

Do we wait till after the fact that someone has been run over and nail the culprit for it, or would we rather prevent it in the first place?

Endanger your own life all you want, but putting others at risk is something you have no right to do!

I'd be ok with it, provided the government who passed the law pays for the installation and maintainence of said device, otherwise it reeks of a cash grab, I'd rather we put some teeth into laws banning multi-time offenders from ever driving again.

oh wait, that might violate the criminals rights, this is Canada we wouldn't want to do that would we?

All my life I've  heard how alcoholism is not a problem in Europe. Everyone has a glass of wine with their meals and people learn from a young age to treat it the same as any other beverage. Everytime someone wants to change the laws to make it more accessible they point to Europe. I've always said this is not Europe and simply making alcohol more accessible isn't going to magically transform social norms. Recently theatres here lobbied to serve alcohol and used the Europe arguement. One third is a staggering number. Clearly alcohol is a larger problem now than in the past in France. It is not your fathers' Europe any more.

Edit: For the record I strongly oppose this law. It is frigthening how people jump up in support, just frightening. Do you know that in the UK there are government cameras in the homes of "problem families" to assure Big Brother that the children are properly cared for and other problems are under control??? And the people there feel this is acceptable!?!?! We are lining up pleading for our rights to be seized.

Archived