Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gdcanucks02

Luongos contract doesn't look so bad anymore...

97 posts in this topic

But what im saying is these long term contracts are given with the thought that the team will win a couple in those years, we just needed to be patient.

With the ways things are going, most goalies will be making +$7-8M in 5 years by that time Luongo's contract will look like a steal.

Brodeur just signed a $4.5M contract... 4 years ago a goalie like him would have gotten half that at the age of 40.

It's a good cap hit for a solid goalie. And what a classy guy Lou is.

This horse has been beaten to death in a thousand threads.

Also, Luongo's cap hit only gets better by the year.

46782454e91e3d0e731a210011c03a71.png

The cap is only trending up. Even after the financial crisis in 2008, it never dropped.

With the ways things are going, most goalies will be making +$7-8M in 5 years by that time Luongo's contract will look like a steal.

Brodeur just signed a $4.5M contract... 4 years ago a goalie like him would have gotten half that at the age of 40.

Except those contracts don't carry the same risk these "till death do us part" contracts do.

5.3 is a steal for a 30-win goaltender who shows up big when it matters.

4 million for a one-time 20-win goalie who has no playoff experience and no proven track record is a bit much.

i still can imagine a trade involving Schneids. 12M/3years is just so sexy especially with the new price tag of Carey Price.

Except in the end you're only paying Luongo $1M with a $5.333M cap hit don't know how people don't see how that's fantastic for a team trying to get to the cap floor.

5.3 is a steal for a 30-win goaltender who shows up big when it matters.

4 million for a one-time 20-win goalie who has no playoff experience and no proven track record is a bit much.

Except in the end you're only paying Luongo $1M with a $5.333M caphit don't know how people don't see how that's fantastic for a team trying to get to the cap floor.

For a team like Toronto who really has no future in the goaltending post, I don't see why they wouldn't want a franchise goaltender..

If not for Schneider, we would of had Lu for the next 6 years as a starter and that wouldn't have been a bad thing at all.

They aren't going to just luck out and get another goaltender that can give them a chance to win the cup for the next long while, they'd have to be stupid not to see the opportunity in a trade like this. Florida on the other hand (Having Markstrom) I'm not so sure.

EDIT: The only viable option left to them, is to-- A.) Pursue Bernier or B.) Pursue Luongo, the later sounding like the more beneficial route. ^_^ As Luongo is a proven starter, where as Bernier is a rookie tender.

Let's face it, Lu is an excellent goalie, and the 5.3 cap hit gets proportionally smaller and smaller each year compared to other goalie contracts. Soon it won't be unusual to have 8-9 mil wrapped up in a goalie tandem.

If I were MG, I'd be slow to trade either of a Jennings winning pair, just have Schnieds play more.