The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you guys think we go hard after Weber now?

Italia2006

These typr of contracts are all but history now after the CBA gets done. The league was reported to ask for max contracts of 5 years but probably except 7 year max contracts. So there will be no way teams can get him signed to these cap circumventing contracts. So 8 mil 7 years should do it.

This isn't an easy situation, I am glad Gillis is at the helm here. He needs to weigh all options and make a decision on what to do with Weber knowing that our window to win is right now and he won't be easy to acquire.

I honestly don't think we have the pieces to trade for him (other teams will be able offer more), and Edler isn't as attractive as one may think as he is an FA next year and could decide to test FA. This is also assuming that Nashville makes the unlikely decision to trade him. For this to happen Weber would have to come out and clearly state that he has absolutely no intention of signing in Nashville next year. If Weber doesn't do this Poile will do almost anything to keep him.

If Gillis can't trade for him this off season and doesn't want to wait and see what the bidding war will be like next summer I think he should put together a very high $$$ offer sheet for him. I read a suggestion from someone today about the Canucks offering Weber a 8.2M one year offer sheet which would cost us 2 - 1st round picks, 1 - 2nd round pick and 1 - 3rd round pick if Nashville doesn't match. Nashville would have to weigh this decision carefully as if they match they can't trade Weber throughout the year and could risk losing him for nothing to FA if he isn't sure about staying in NSH. I still think that there is a good chance that NSH matches the offer sheet, but at least you show Weber that you are interested and are serious about having him on our team.

Anyway...it will be interesting to see how this all pans out, but we heard at the beginning of the summer that Gillis was supposed to be aggressive this summer, lets hope that includes SW!

I think GMMG is at least pondering this issue with the Braintrust (Gilman, Henning, Smyl) and coaching. I mean, every team should be pondering the possibility of Weber in their D corps. Who wouldn't? The guy is legit. I'd shove a $9 mil. offer sheet down Nashville's throat and wait to see if they match. If they do, they can't trade him for a year and will be screwed when he inevitably leaves. If they don't match, I'll celebrate with Canuck Nation, then hopefully management can extend him to a multi-year deal. This is the missing piece to our Cup puzzle. I think Botchford's article on Shea really struck the point home.

I don't think I can fix the spelling. I don't see anywhere to edit. Also take a chill pill. You don't have to get your panties in a knot because I made an error on a guys name. It's not that big of a deal.

<p>

I think GMMG is at least pondering this issue with the Braintrust (Gilman, Henning, Smyl) and coaching. I mean, every team should be pondering the possibility of Weber in their D corps. Who wouldn't? The guy is legit. I'd shove a $9 mil. offer sheet down Nashville's throat and wait to see if they match. If they do, they can't trade him for a year and will be screwed when he inevitably leaves. If they don't match, I'll celebrate with Canuck Nation, then hopefully management can extend him to a multi-year deal. This is the missing piece to our Cup puzzle. I think Botchford's article on Shea really struck the point home.

we'd be foolish to trade for Weber... price would be too high. Let some other team trade for him at the trading deadline, then if he wants to he will come here anyways (same as Hamuis did)... if he doesn't, he won't - we can get by without him.

honestly our biggest hole right now is that forward who can either:

1. be enough of a threat and also make space for others so that others can score (like a Doan)

2. be good enough to be a serious threat due to skill level (like a Semin)

either one of those would be best... but probably Doan would be a fan favourite here ;)

our D is solid from 1-6. can't say that about our forward group...

Your a moron....Kesler for Weber straight up might not even get it done...let alone an unproven rookie, a crappy first round pick, and an underachieving defenceman

u should run out to the store, your xbox controller is running out of batteries making these stupid trades

Archived