The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Workout Routine (Suggestions?)

Salter

In this case, no. He's asking for advice and just starting out, no need to bash him because you've been training longer. It must make you feel real good to call a 16 year old kid a "COMPLETE noob". Clearly you don't know much, "starting strength is the way to go"? "Muscle follows strength"? Everyone's gotta start somewhere, you can't expect to start out with heavy weights. That's how injuries happen. You build muscle over time, with a healthy diet, and regular training.

"Functional fitness is just crap"? What's the point of having muscle if all you can do is lift heavy weights? Meatheads go into the gym and try to show off by lifting the heaviest weights possible in a sad attempt to show off. But they can barely do cardio, and run like bulky pigs. They also scoff at people who don't lift much, or those that are just starting out. Leave the kid alone, don't be a jerk.

While I agree with King of the ES, and anyone who talks about compound movements, but if the kid doesn't have access to the gym, then he has to do something.

Don't underestimate bodyweight workouts... For complete beginners, its a good place to start. Although having some dumbbells would be good, it seems he has a pull-up bar, which it self can develop a very nice back.

Guest AriGold

Posts like this really bother me.

YOU clearly are no expert, but you're now trying to tell me that I'm wrong by speaking in totally vague, useless generalities ("build muscle over time", "eat healthy", etc.).

1 - explain to me why he can't start with heavy weights. "Heavy" is relative. What's "heavy" to him, probably isn't, to me.

2 - "meatheads" go to the gym not to show off, they do it to be strong. And they lift as heavy as they can because it's the most efficient way to reach their goals - I'll now recommend you to read Stuart McRoberts' Beyond Brawn for a more in-depth look at this fact. Intensity should always be high. Lowering weight on the bar is a sure way to lose muscle. Progressive poundage increases should be the only goal of the regular gym-goer/weightlifter.

Also, nice further generalities to the guys who lift heavy. They all scoff at guys who lift light, and none of them can run. For your own sake, I hope you're about 15 years old, yourself, because you're really not all that bright.

Bodyweight exercises are wastes of time, yes. What will happen is that he won't see any results, so his "excitement" (which you speak of) will wane very quickly.

If his goal is strength (which leads to muscle), he would be wise to heed my advice and purchase Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, which is a program for beginners. If he'd rather "progress" by doing jumping jacks and hot yoga with the women in Lululemon gear, that's his choice, too. But don't tell me that I'm not giving good advice.

King of the ES, I think you honestly need to switch a letter to B. (All in good fun, your name just made it too easy) ;)

Anyhow, is this one of the guys you're promoting? Looks like his program could use some adjusting to me as he's not the ideal poster boy for overall fitness in my mind.

(Mark Rippetoe?)

DSC_0067.jpg

But carry on with the infommercials and rejecting sound advice that incorporates an overall picture into this. You're throwing out advice like everyone's the same and their needs/goals are as well. But they're not. So sure, I admire that you're passionate about your own particular program and what has worked for you...but not everyone's you or the same (thank God). Believe me, not everyone is interested in the Incredible Hulk deal and so rejecting anything other than heavy is a bit one sided.

Yes, he said he wanted to bulk up for someone on the skinny side, but how do you define "heavy"? You've given no guidelines and have thrown out something that may lead to a beginner getting injured. That would be counterproductive and require backing away in order to recover from the injury. So, out of the gates, it would become a negative vs a positive thing. By starting slowly he can get used to the idea of working out and then keep it fresh by adding new dimensions to that as he goes. You don't give a kid a bike and say "go"...you start with training wheels and there are reasons for that.

We wouldn't need personal trainers if it was that simple...we could all refer to the same books/material and just "go". But any reputable trainer will personalize programs after assessing their client's needs, current state/history of working out, lifestyle, schedule, goals and other important details that can customize something for them. You jump in here like you've got the answers but I don't even think you've asked the questions. Might want to start there....

Posts like this really bother me.

YOU clearly are no expert, but you're now trying to tell me that I'm wrong by speaking in totally vague, useless generalities ("build muscle over time", "eat healthy", etc.).

1 - explain to me why he can't start with heavy weights. "Heavy" is relative. What's "heavy" to him, probably isn't, to me.

2 - "meatheads" go to the gym not to show off, they do it to be strong. And they lift as heavy as they can because it's the most efficient way to reach their goals - I'll now recommend you to read Stuart McRoberts' Beyond Brawn for a more in-depth look at this fact. Intensity should always be high. Lowering weight on the bar is a sure way to lose muscle. Progressive poundage increases should be the only goal of the regular gym-goer/weightlifter.

Also, nice further generalities to the guys who lift heavy. They all scoff at guys who lift light, and none of them can run. For your own sake, I hope you're about 15 years old, yourself, because you're really not all that bright.

Actually, if anyone wants to start a homework routine together, then let me know, we all do it together on the same schedule, discuss about it, track how much we've done. It'll keep everyone motivated!

I'll need at least 4-5 people to participate before I start a thread.

Archived