The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

You're the one that will be butthurt, not me.

With news today that the petition failed and the judge will not give them anymore time, the sale is all but done. Therefore it's just a matter of Jamison convincing Doan that the team is staying in Phoenix. Which he has already stated he plans on doing.

I don't know how much more obvious it can get...

You're the one that will be butthurt, not me.

With news today that the petition failed and the judge will not give them anymore time, the sale is all but done. Therefore it's just a matter of Jamison convincing Doan that the team is staying in Phoenix. Which he has already stated he plans on doing.

I don't know how much more obvious it can get...

The situation with the petition is far from over. I wouldn't call it so cut and dry that they've seen the end of it. The future of the Coyotes franchise is still uncertain, and as a result so is Doan's future with the team.

If Shane was as committed to the team as some of you claim, he wouldn't be holding back. We know the team isn't holding back waiting to sign him, so that only leaves one person who could be slowing the process.

His camp has also stated that Doan has turned down an offer from the team. Why would a guy who has already decided he wants to play for a particular team turn down their offer? I think it's safe to assume that the money involved would have been fair and reasonable between two long standing associates.

seeing some are too lazy here's some info on why the failure of petition is only part of the issue regarding the sale!

THE SALE HAS NOT CLEARED ALL HURDLES!!!

Coyotes facing more taxing roadblocks

Petitions on lease and Glendale sales-tax increase clouding franchise's financial future

DAVID SHOALTS0

00:00 EDT Friday, July 06, 2012

Once again, threats to the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes are mounting, which means the NHL is facing some unappetizing choices over the future of the franchise.

A petition to overturn a city sales-tax increase was delivered to suburban Glendale city officials Thursday. That could torpedo Greg Jamison's proposed purchase of the Coyotes from the league.

Another petition to put the lease for Jobing.com Arena, one that is to pay prospective owner Jamison $324-million (all currency U.S.) over 20 years, to a public vote is due either Monday or July 16. The date is the subject of some legal wrangling between Glendale and the two taxpayers who are gathering signatures.

If the petition is filed and upheld, then the lease approved by city council last month will go into limbo until November when it will be the subject of a referendum in the municipal election.

Glendale council voted last month to raise its share of sales tax to 2.9 per cent Aug. 1 in an effort to deal with a $35-million deficit as well as a $20-million payment to Jamison for managing the arena. The increase is expected to raise $22-million but is opposed by many business owners. (Including county and state taxes, the current sales tax in Glendale is 9.5 per cent; the increase would take it to more than 10 per cent).

If the tax hike is repealed, it is possible Glendale officials can make other cuts to raise the money to pay Jamison. However, acting city manager Horatio Skeete told the Arizona Republic earlier this week Glendale may not be able to afford the annual management fees owed to Jamison. Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni said Skeete will not comment further on the lease.

At the same time, both candidates for mayor in the November election along with five candidates for council, signed a public letter asking Skeete not to sign the lease with the Coyotes.

Frisoni said it will take city officials several days to ensure the sales-tax petition meets the state legal requirements and the same process will apply to the petition on the arena lease.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly did not respond to a request for comment. However, Frisoni said the city is continuing to work on the sale to Jamison and will deal with any other problems "when and if that happens."

Frisoni said the NHL extended its management agreement for Jobing.com Arena by 30 days until Aug. 1 in the expectation the sale will be completed by then.

But Jamison made it clear he needs the arena lease to complete his purchase of the club, which leaves the league with some unpleasant options.

The first is to continue the NHL's ownership of the Coyotes for one more year, which means paying for losses that could be more than $40-million. But unlike the past two years, there will likely be no $25-million payment from Glendale to offset the losses. Frisoni said there has been no discussion of another payment if the NHL can't sell the club.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has long refused to consider moving the Coyotes. Doing so now would be difficult but not impossible. But the only candidate with an arena that could be whipped into NHL shape quickly is Quebec City and Bettman has never shown enthusiasm for that move.

In some NHL circles, a more drastic solution is envisioned. The Coyotes could simply be folded, its 23 players sent to other NHL teams through a dispersal draft and the league would operate with 29 teams next season.

This would allow the NHL to collect expansion fees of $100-million or more each from Seattle and Quebec City, the top candidates for NHL teams, rather than a single relocation fee of $60-million or so for the Coyotes. That is a gain of at least $140-million.

However, this would create legal headaches with lenders holding the Coyotes franchise as collateral and probably the NHL Players' Association. So the NHL's longest limbo dance will continue for now but a nasty choice could be coming quickly.

It's funny how the Kreskins of the internet world seem to know what Doan will do whereas half the GMs in the league are proceeding as if the possibility of him moving is a reality. I guess the "Doan stays put for sure" camp are all smarter than any one of them, including Gillis.

Just a reminder, as well, that Shea Weber, who is a lot closer to Suter than the CDC soothsayers here are to Doan, was very surprised that Suter chose to flee Nashville.

Again, maybe Doan will sign with PHX, maybe not. But to pretend to know what will really go down is laughable. Doan's first priority is to himself and his family, not the PHX org or his past year's teammates. People leak a lot of white lies in just these situations. The scenario is ripe for it.

sure no one but Shane knows......

If he wanted out I'm sure a lucrative offer could already be signed

He's giving the Yotes every possible advantage to show him the future is secure.

Then and only if will he entertain signing with them.

Should the waters still be murky in the desert then Shane’s going to ply his trade wherever he feels is best for him and his family.

Bettman has shown that he'll do whatever it takes to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. Don't expect them to go anywhere.

People can go back and forth on what Doan is thinking. Bottom line is, he's said he wants to stay in Phoenix, and his actions show that.

Just because you want him to be a Canuck, doesn't mean he's going to be.

Or quite possibly Doan and his agent are playing the "want to stay in PHX" card to juice his contract with other teams since it would be "difficult" for him to leave.

Bottom line is that I or others or you really don't know what Doan is thinking.

I don't think it has to do with money for Doan. He's going to get a good cotract and retire rich no matter where he plays.

He is grappling with...

1) do I stay with the only team I have known; where I will play out my days as captain and have my sweater retired or

2) roll the dice and sign with a contender in the hopes the stars align and I can end my career with a SC ring on my finger.

Tough decision

I don't think it has to do with money for Doan. He's going to get a good cotract and retire rich no matter where he plays.

He is grappling with...

1) do I stay with the only team I have known; where I will play out my days as captain and have my sweater retired or

2) roll the dice and sign with a contender in the hopes the stars align and I can end my career with a SC ring on my finger.

Tough decision

seeing some are too lazy here's some info on why the failure of petition is only part of the issue regarding the sale!

THE SALE HAS NOT CLEARED ALL HURDLES!!!

Coyotes facing more taxing roadblocks

Petitions on lease and Glendale sales-tax increase clouding franchise's financial future

DAVID SHOALTS0

00:00 EDT Friday, July 06, 2012

Once again, threats to the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes are mounting, which means the NHL is facing some unappetizing choices over the future of the franchise.

A petition to overturn a city sales-tax increase was delivered to suburban Glendale city officials Thursday. That could torpedo Greg Jamison's proposed purchase of the Coyotes from the league.

Another petition to put the lease for Jobing.com Arena, one that is to pay prospective owner Jamison $324-million (all currency U.S.) over 20 years, to a public vote is due either Monday or July 16. The date is the subject of some legal wrangling between Glendale and the two taxpayers who are gathering signatures.

If the petition is filed and upheld, then the lease approved by city council last month will go into limbo until November when it will be the subject of a referendum in the municipal election.

Glendale council voted last month to raise its share of sales tax to 2.9 per cent Aug. 1 in an effort to deal with a $35-million deficit as well as a $20-million payment to Jamison for managing the arena. The increase is expected to raise $22-million but is opposed by many business owners. (Including county and state taxes, the current sales tax in Glendale is 9.5 per cent; the increase would take it to more than 10 per cent).

If the tax hike is repealed, it is possible Glendale officials can make other cuts to raise the money to pay Jamison. However, acting city manager Horatio Skeete told the Arizona Republic earlier this week Glendale may not be able to afford the annual management fees owed to Jamison. Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni said Skeete will not comment further on the lease.

At the same time, both candidates for mayor in the November election along with five candidates for council, signed a public letter asking Skeete not to sign the lease with the Coyotes.

Frisoni said it will take city officials several days to ensure the sales-tax petition meets the state legal requirements and the same process will apply to the petition on the arena lease.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly did not respond to a request for comment. However, Frisoni said the city is continuing to work on the sale to Jamison and will deal with any other problems "when and if that happens."

Frisoni said the NHL extended its management agreement for Jobing.com Arena by 30 days until Aug. 1 in the expectation the sale will be completed by then.

But Jamison made it clear he needs the arena lease to complete his purchase of the club, which leaves the league with some unpleasant options.

The first is to continue the NHL's ownership of the Coyotes for one more year, which means paying for losses that could be more than $40-million. But unlike the past two years, there will likely be no $25-million payment from Glendale to offset the losses. Frisoni said there has been no discussion of another payment if the NHL can't sell the club.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has long refused to consider moving the Coyotes. Doing so now would be difficult but not impossible. But the only candidate with an arena that could be whipped into NHL shape quickly is Quebec City and Bettman has never shown enthusiasm for that move.

In some NHL circles, a more drastic solution is envisioned. The Coyotes could simply be folded, its 23 players sent to other NHL teams through a dispersal draft and the league would operate with 29 teams next season.

This would allow the NHL to collect expansion fees of $100-million or more each from Seattle and Quebec City, the top candidates for NHL teams, rather than a single relocation fee of $60-million or so for the Coyotes. That is a gain of at least $140-million.

However, this would create legal headaches with lenders holding the Coyotes franchise as collateral and probably the NHL Players' Association. So the NHL's longest limbo dance will continue for now but a nasty choice could be coming quickly.

Archived