Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Zack Kassian: A Little Patience Required

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#31 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

I don't think Kassian is anywhere close to being most criticized on the Canucks. That title is for Mason Raymond. I think a lot of people agree with the OP that he just needs more time.

#32 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

This article is stupid and ridiculous. I haven't heard any Canucks fans say they "hate" Zack Kassian--even those who were really unhappy about the Hodgson trade. Good work generalizing an entire fan base's feelings about a single player that isn't based on even a shred of truth. That is a great example of terrible, terrible writing.

It's not necessarily "hate". It's just for the people who think we lost the trade, and that after seeing him play 17 games (majority on the 4th line), people are writing him off and talking about how he is going to be a bust, not gonna contribute anytime soon
Posted Image

#33 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Tell me about it. The kid is 21 years old and people already want to throw him under the bus based on what 15 games or something like that? Give him a full season and training camp with the club and some room for error and he'll freaking blossom. I remember a time not too long ago when people on here were trying to run Hodgson out of town because he didn't make the big club right out of Jr.

What a joke some of these so called Canucks fan's are. This fan base is unfortunately a microcosm of this whole city it seems.
Posted Image

#34 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Kassian has the potential to be the next Lucic. MG made the right call in the deal, Kass just needs a few years to develop.

Kassian has the ability to be better than Lucic. He's a better skater and has better hands, and is a better passer. Maybe not as elite of a fighter but tough enough...on skill, Kass has the ability to be better.

I didn't like the trade at first because we didn't know of all the 'issues' with CoHo, and the timing. That being said, it will turn out being positive for both teams and I actually think we will win it in time.

Its harder to find players like Kassian (size, skill, willingness to use the size, speed) than it is to find stumpy centers who can pass and are average skaters.

I will be interested to see how CoHo does this year with a full season as a number one or two center, and how he manages the tougher d matchups and his defensive responsibilities. I think you'll see 45 -50 pts and a big minus on his stat sheet (like -15 or so)...

If Kassian plays the full season, I think we'll see 20-30 pts out of him, likely 12-15 goals, some big hits, some intimidation, and the start of something terrific. I like the kid, his attitude (humble), his temper, and above all his skill.

#35 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

Kassian is just at the age when he will mature into a man. He was a big boy and now he is turning into a big man. Physically and emotionally he is maturing. As a hockey player hopefully he just keeps improving. Cam Neely and Todd Bertuzzi at his age were no where near the players they would become. Hopefully in a few years he will be being compared to them and not Shawn Antoski. I would settle for Jim Sandlak with a mean streak.

Bad examples in Neely and Bertuzzi. Neely was just turned 19 when he made the Canucks, scored 16 goals and 31 points in 2/3 of a season. He also cleaned a few clocks. Bertuzzi was 20 when he made the Islanders and scored 18 goals and 39 points. Kassian is 21, and has done nothing. I'm not saying he won't, but so far the best we can say is that he might be able to play - at least so far he doesn't appear to be a defensive liability, and that is something. The other problem is AV - he has precious little patience for rookie mistakes. Ask Shirkov. It may be very difficult for Kassian to get a break here unless there are a ton of injuries to right wingers.

#36 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

This is exactly why we have the AHL to DEVELOP players for the NHL: Why is it so wrong to have Zac playing regular minutes in Chicago instead of 5 minutes in Vancouver. Let's let him develop his potential into a force in the AHL that will hopefully make him a star in the NHL. IMO I see no need to ush him into the NHL.

#37 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

from day one I liked what I saw in Kassian. Obviously I was a bit disappointed (and at the time) confused why we traded Hodgson, as I didn't/hadn't heard of anything about him wanting more ice time and wanting a trade, etc. But Kassian looked great this year imo. Sure he is not the top 6 player we need right now but in a few years this trade could be great. Kassian has great potential and like the rest of the players on this team, it will take him a few more years to develop and find his place on the team.

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, etc. did not just jump into their NHL spots they were casually brought up and used effectively and Kassian can do the same. Better yet, when Burrows was on the 3rd/4th line I didn't see him being on the top line he surprised all of us, and Kassian already has more potential than Burrows did. I look forward to seeing him develop into a top 6 guy that will be huge for us in a few years :)

(*Please note that I am not putting Burrows down. Just saying that when Burrows was in his first few years I never saw him as top line material. Glad to be proven wrong and am sure Kassian can do the same)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#38 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

I hate how people say that he should have waited until the off season to trade CoHo for Kassian. They act like if we had CoHo in the line-up against the Kings we would have won. Hodgson doesn't make that big of a difference, even if we had Cody in the line-up against the Kings we would have lost.

We have loads of depth at centre and Hodgson never would have gotten ice-time over Sedin or Kesler. AV tried playing him on the wing and he wasn't any good at that. Kassian, on the other hand, is a natural right winger and he fills an organizational need. He's tough, a right winger (as mentioned before), and he's young. I've always liked Kassian and honestly when I heard about the trade I wasn't even upset. I knew Kassian was a monster and that he filled a team need.

It sucks though that no matter what you say you won't be able to change those peoples opinions. They're idiots who only like to criticize and never like to support the team. But hopefully Kassian goes out next year and breaks Marchand's nose and changes the opinion of all those "fans".

taking out of context of course but isnt MG looking for a center to play on the 2nd right now???? lol just saying. I like the kassian deal but you almost wonder what kind of package we could put together and get back with him and lu?

#39 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

Todd Bertuzzi

• 6'3" 225lbs
  • Drafted 23rd overall
  • Joined the Canucks at the age of 22
  • Was in his 3rd year with the Canucks before he played a full season and started to produce, earning 50 points.
Zack Kassian
  • 6'3" 214lbs
  • Drafted 13th overall
  • Joined the Canucks at the age of 21
  • Written off by Canucks fans as a bust in his first season where he played only 17 games

Thats the problem, we have too many hockey experts in Vancouver. How many people running their mouths on here have even played, or coached, hockey? It's a good thing that the players don't give a crap about your opinions, you might hurt their feelings. Ha

#40 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

I liked how he called Lou lovers creepy, it made me lol.

#41 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

GMMG said Kassian was going to make an immediate impact (including the playoffs.)

I don't hate Kassian just the trade and the poor timing of it.

Seems this one will be judged in 5 years time if not longer and we might still have lost the trade.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#42 JPizzle

JPizzle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thats the problem, we have too many hockey experts in Vancouver. How many people running their mouths on here have even played, or coached, hockey? It's a good thing that the players don't give a crap about your opinions, you might hurt their feelings. Ha

So you have to have played or coached to have an understanding? I disagree. Half of the critics on CDC watch "some" games and base there opinions off what they have seen from the late night game hi-light clips.
I watch cooking shows - so that makes me a master chef!

#43 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

3 to 4 years before he's a solid top 6 guy.

But then he should remain in the top 6 for another 10 years,
and probably play on the top line for a good 5+ of those years.

It took the Sedins a long time to work their way onto the top line,
and they went #2 and #3 in their draft.

Patience... he will be very good, maybe even great down the road.
Posted Image

#44 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

He's going to make Lucic look like Barbie.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#45 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Posted Image

Great blog. Pay attention people.
Posted Image

#46 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I am looking forward to watching him develop, and still believe Gillis made the right call here in this trade.

Possibly the right call... IMO, definitely the wrong time... if we have a offensive threat at the 3rd line center position... we could have very possibly got passed LA... but thats just me

#47 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

why do we have such a retarded fan base

More apt is "Why doesn't the internet have a retard filter?"

#48 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

GMMG said Kassian was going to make an immediate impact (including the playoffs.)

Seems this one will be judged in 5 years time if not longer and we might still have lost the trade.

I'm with you on this one.

#49 grimmjow

grimmjow

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Great read OP. I am fully on board with MG acquiring Kass in the deadline trade and fully believe he will meet his potential after a little more development.
Mike Gillis - He came, he saw, he conquered...
I told you all to be patient but many just had to complain - now you revere him beyond all!!

#50 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

http://www.getrealho...equired-please/

That's one of the better blogs I've ever read. Nice to see some common sense for a change.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#51 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Possibly the right call... IMO, definitely the wrong time... if we have a offensive threat at the 3rd line center position... we could have very possibly got passed LA... but thats just me

How was it the wrong time? Cody Hodgson's presence would not have changed anything in the 1st round.
Just like Zack, Cody is still young and needs to develop, I would suggest the reason why CoHo had some success in the Sabres system in a short period of time compared to Zack in our system is we have a better system in bringing players into the league than the Sabres do.

#52 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Plenty that still don't get it. I have plenty of very knowledgeable friends who have never played any organized hockey. I also have friends that have played that really miss the boat. Those of us that have played should have a better understanding but it's simply not the case. Thus I hate it when people play the "have you ever played" card as it really doesn't matter.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#53 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

I hate how people say that he should have waited until the off season to trade CoHo for Kassian. They act like if we had CoHo in the line-up against the Kings we would have won. Hodgson doesn't make that big of a difference, even if we had Cody in the line-up against the Kings we would have lost.

We have loads of depth at centre and Hodgson never would have gotten ice-time over Sedin or Kesler. AV tried playing him on the wing and he wasn't any good at that. Kassian, on the other hand, is a natural right winger and he fills an organizational need. He's tough, a right winger (as mentioned before), and he's young. I've always liked Kassian and honestly when I heard about the trade I wasn't even upset. I knew Kassian was a monster and that he filled a team need.

It sucks though that no matter what you say you won't be able to change those peoples opinions. They're idiots who only like to criticize and never like to support the team. But hopefully Kassian goes out next year and breaks Marchand's nose and changes the opinion of all those "fans".

It's hard to believe with the stock that Cody had that Kassian was the best possible option. Many GMs didn't even know Hodgson was available, and I'm sure we could have gotten some immediate help had we added. Anaheim desperately needs a centreman, I'm sure packaging Hodgson for Ryan could have been worked out...

Luongo-Userbar.gif
14vmxhf.jpg
In Benning We Trust!

#54 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

I don't recall him saying he'd make an immediate impact. He did say Kassian had a ways to go in development though and that he'd help "in different ways".

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#55 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's hard to believe with the stock that Cody had that Kassian was the best possible option. Many GMs didn't even know Hodgson was available, and I'm sure we could have gotten some immediate help had we added. Anaheim desperately needs a centreman, I'm sure packaging Hodgson for Ryan could have been worked out...

That's because MG was shopping for something very specific. He said there were 5 young power forwards he had expessed interest in. Kassian was the one that became available at the trade deadline. You see that's the problem, the other team has to actually be interested in moving their player as well.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#56 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Maybe he made the trade while thinking about the future more so than the season at hand. Either or, I liked Kassian before the trade and was happy when we acquired him.

So, basically Gillis didn't really care about that season anymore? Trading a Calder contender on a team that's attempting to make another Cup run for a player in the AHL makes little to no sense. Especially when this could have been done in the off season. Make the trade, fine, but I think he did it too early. We dropped 20 goals and 40+ points out of the line up for nothing.
Posted Image

#57 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

He's going to make Lucic look like Barbie.

Wait until he can handle being an NHL regular before making such predictions.
Posted Image

#58 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

While he does need more time, and can turn into a 60 pt player. Hartnell anyone? I still miss Coho and believe he'll be a better more consistent player than Kes.

#59 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

So, basically Gillis didn't really care about that season anymore? Trading a Calder contender on a team that's attempting to make another Cup run for a player in the AHL makes little to no sense. Especially when this could have been done in the off season. Make the trade, fine, but I think he did it too early. We dropped 20 goals and 40+ points out of the line up for nothing.

CoHo would not have put us over the hump in the playoffs, we were missing a power forward and now we have one.
Anyone can make a prediction and say this or that may have happened, but its clear that CoHo was not happy here, at least that is the impression I took from the Gillis interview after he was traded.
For all we know Buffalo had another pending deal with another club for Zack and Gillis decided to pull the trigger, we now have this big power forward who is still going to develop and maybe turn into a force for the club.

#60 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

I dunno about hatred. I think even people who didn't like the trade understand that the GM trades the players and they really have no say in where they're going or who for. Hate for Kassian because we lost Hodgson would be totally irrational, although these are our fans we're talking about here so irrational is often the order of the day.

You ask me, it's probably best for Kassian to spend the next year in the AHL learning the Canucks' system and not having to deal with the constant pressure in Vancouver. He doesn't quite fit in the lineup right now, if the fourth line is Weise/Malhotra or Lapierre/Volpatti, Kassian's still too young to play in the top six, not a shutdown type to play on the third line, better to give him a year to really figure things out down there. Of course if he plays real well in camp and preseason I'd change my mind, but there's several guys he needs to beat out, like Jensen, which seems unlikely.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.