The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

shawn antoski

Smurf. What do you know about goaltending? Could you enlighten us dummies?

You.

Are aware.

That your great knowledge of goaltending is contributing to kicking out the best goaltender in franchise history yes? A goaltender who is not nearly as close to his twilight years as you would think? Yes?

You.

Are.

Aware of that yes?

If Luongo is traded this team will not be a contender. Schneider is nowhere near a world-class goalie yet and it's a big gamble to just expect a 2-year backup to jump into stardom based on 56 games of experience.

MG would be naive to select Schneider over Luongo, but if this does happen the only way he can truly rectify this idiotic move is to acquire some solid assets for Luongo, so much so that they fill the hole in our success that Schneider will create because mark my words, if Schneider is our full-time starter next season we will not win a Cup.

Have to disagree. The team was up 2-0 until they realized Lu can't play in Boston. They saw him fighting the puck. If he had allowed himself to be pulled out of game 3, boston would have never had the kind of confidence they did.

Hamhuis' iinjury was the most underrated and biggest factor IMO in us losing the cup. We were the better team and one less injury would have gotten us the cup.

Sedin hitting Marchand would've made things worse. You can't beat Boston at their game. You have to force them to play our game. Horton hit motivated Boston and we got back on our game in game 5. Then Lu motivated them with his comments and we went to playing their game.

Vancouver would have won the Cup against Boston had Daniel Sedin broken his stick on Marchand's nose at the first punch. That would surely have inspired the whole team to stand up for each other, let alone for Luongo that extra motivation.

The Sedins are losers because they accept losing. Boston fu€ked the Canucks hard because the Canucks were busy trying to create he best skates on ice show. Boston wanted the Cup.

Luongo was deflated by the team, not the other way around.

Good post.

Smurf. What do you know about goaltending? Could you enlighten us dummies?

You.

Are aware.

That your great knowledge of goaltending is contributing to kicking out the best goaltender in franchise history yes? A goaltender who is not nearly as close to his twilight years as you would think? Yes?

You.

Are.

Aware of that yes?

When schneids starts will you leave the boards and cheer for another team?......actually nah, stay here, keep posting wrongness to entertain the rest of the fans who aren't going to jump off a bridge....

Seriously your post is total garbage....not a contender.... Just awesome....thanks for the lol.

Schneider is younger and has been putting up pretty great numbers. You have to go with the goalie you think is going to better in the future and that's Schneider. He may never be vintage Lu, but he'll do fine.

His technique is better based on what I heard from analysts.

You shall also suffer friend. I bet you're the first one off the bandwagon and cheering for another team when you start seeing the wheels fall off.

Probably got ON the bandwagon because of Luongo in the first place.

Pathetic really.

dont even have to look around the league for examples, the canucks in 1994 with whitmore and mclean whole city was calling for quinn's head when he put mclean in game1 of the playoffs because whitmore(the young goalie) had better stats.

we then proceeded to run mclean through the coals in 1995 (sound familiar?)

how quickly we forget!

Bud I've been cheering this "almost there" broken down bandwagoning team for over twenty five......still my team though...yeah I'm guilty of impersonating the whole 80s oilers roster when I was a kid playing street hockey with rocks as goal posts cos they were epic back then, but when some guy from aus posts the team is not a contender cos Lu is going I'm gonna call him out.... It's a joke....most of his posts are a jokes....his player assessments are a joke....

Not saying schneids is ginna part the waters but posters who pick one camp and die on it are just blind to the team element of the game.

Off the top of my head:

Lu's killer save on sharp

Burrows OT winner same series

Bieksas fluke OT winner vs sj

Two shorthanded goals in one game vs la

Erhoff disappearing

Kesler beast mode vs Nashville

Kesler diving whiner prima Donna vs la

Schneids put in by mgmt in game five vs la

Torres dummies seabrook gets tossed

Bitz hit from behind on first shift gets tossed

Lu's various melt downs

Sedin getting b1tchslapped.....

So who do you all want to blame? Lu or Schneider?

I'll tell you right now that Cory's different, i can tell he has nerves of steel, intestinal fortitude and lots of smarts. He'll be in Vancouver for a long time, and if they don't win the cup with him, i would venture to guess it probably won't be his fault.

Have to disagree. The team was up 2-0 until they realized Lu can't play in Boston. They saw him fighting the puck. If he had allowed himself to be pulled out of game 3, boston would have never had the kind of confidence they did.

Hamhuis' iinjury was the most underrated and biggest factor IMO in us losing the cup. We were the better team and one less injury would have gotten us the cup.

Sedin hitting Marchand would've made things worse. You can't beat Boston at their game. You have to force them to play our game. Horton hit motivated Boston and we got back on our game in game 5. Then Lu motivated them with his comments and we went to playing their game.

Maybe that's because he has next to zero career playoff experience. The kid (and yes, he is a kid compared to the other goalies in the league in terms of his experience) has 1 playoff win under his belt, 2 losses and a bad outing in game 6 against Chicago. He is the definition of a wild card in the playoffs and no one knows what to expect from him.

Luongo is a much safer bet IN THE PLAYOFFS than Schneider. Don't forget all those big clutch games that Luongo came up huge for us in. He played superbly in the Olympics as well when stakes were as high as they get, stole the #1 position from the best goalie to ever play this sport and came up big when he had to. People also forget the fact that this man single-handedly dragged this team's sorry ass out of what would have been a complete franchise overhaul against Chicago in 2011. I'll put things into perspective for you guys, if we lost Game 7 against Chicago that's not only the President's Trophy winners falling to an 8th seed team, that's a historical loss in itself and the 3rd season in a row that we lose to the same team. The Vancouver Canucks would have been the laughing stock of the NHL, not the Maple Leafs, and we would have seen the biggest overhaul the NHL has seen from top to bottom, from management to our core players. Instead, Luongo saved this franchise with IMO the biggest saves in franchise history on Hossa and Sharp in Game 7 to allow us to win it. Sure he went on to almost win us a cup single handedly, but I look back at that Chicago series as the biggest potential downfall in NHL history and 1 man saved us. This franchise and its fans owe everything to Luongo, and no one really appreciates what he did because we ended up winning.

Face it, Luongo is a proven big-game performer, so why get rid of a guy like this when we know he will perform in those important games for a guy like Schneider who may or may not.

That's the special thing about Schneider, he's excelled at EVERY level.

In college, for the Boston College Eagles, he posted these stats;

2004/2005 18 GP, 13-1-4, 1.90 GAA, .916 Save %

2005/2006 39 GP, 24-13-2, 2.11 GAA, .929 Save %

2006/2007 42 GP, 29-12-1, 2.15 GAA, .925 Save %

In the AHL, for the Manitoba Moose, he posted these stats:

2007/2008 36 GP, 21-12-2, 2.28 GAA, .916 Save %

2008/2009 40 GP, 28-10-1, 2.04 GAA, .928 Save % (Won Aldege "Baz" Bastien trophy as AHL goalie of the year)

2009/2010 60 GP, 35-23-2, 2.51 GAA, .919 Save %

In the NHL, as Luongo's backup, he posted these stats:

2010/2011 25 GP, 16-4-2, 2.23 GAA, .929 Save % (Shared Jennings trophy with Luongo as tandem with least goals allowed)

2011/2012 33 GP. 20-8-1, 1.96 GAA, .937 Save %

The only team in his career when he posted sub-par numbers was when he got spot starts in the NHL while he was still a regular in the AHL. But as a regular player at every level, the guy has been unreal. Does it all mean he's guaranteed to be elite as an NHL starter? No, I suppose not, but a player like this is as much a shoe-in as there is.

The Canucks management, as well all know, is a safe and cautious group. They wouldn't be going this direction if they weren't certain about Schneider being the absolute real deal.

I feel bad for Lou, but yet, more comfortable with Schneids in net. Even when Vancouver lost game five, there was no animosity toward Schneider. It was still aimed toward Lou even though he hadn't played in three games.

To me, at least, it seemed whenever Lou was in net I never knew which goalie we were gonna get; The unbeatable, almost superhuman stopper or the lax, almost uncaring version. With Schneids, I always felt confident that, win or lose, he was gonna give it 110% effort and I think the fans got that sense even in the playoff losses.

In the end I like Schneids as our #1. He was drafted by Vancouver, He was developed by Vancouver, and now he's reaping the rewards of being patient and taking the appropriate steps to becoming a top goaltender in the NHL. I like the fact that we are beginning to trust a bit more in our system and relying less on the UFA market. With prospects like N.Jensen, J.Schroeder, K.Connauton and A.Polasek developing nicely, it's hard not to be positive about our future.

Archived