The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

No offence to Ryamond, but Nathan Horton is more valuable to Boston than Raymond is to us. Its the Stanley cup finals; injuries aren't an excuse. Everyone plays hurt, some players can just be still effective.

There is so much wrong with your post. I'll start from the top and not from the most wrong.

i didn't say I could predict, but after you've followed the league for over thirty years you get a sense for where the hype ends and the careers nosedive. Believe me I'd love to see these four guys become decent players but it's not gonna happen. All you have to do is look at the lists of first rounders over the years and you'll repeatedly ask yourself, 'Who's that?'

Try it yourself.

yes Kes has come thru big time, but picks in the 20's are a crap shoot. We could have a guaranteed top D instead.

I hope Schroeder plays in this league so it can be 'funner' for you but chances are not good based on his last couple of yrs.

At least grabner scored at the ahl level, unlike schroeder.

Web is just entering his prime at 26. He's got ten great yrs ahead of him.

Lidstrom didn't win a norris til he was 31 I believe.

Kesler, Hank, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Elder shall I go on?

I agree injuries aren't an excuse in the SCF, but the Bruins complete dismantled us and if we had an intimating player like Weber in the lineup, do you think other players would think twice about riding rough shod on the Sedins?

I would say any weakness in our team that will likely prevent us from being able to win a cup is a gaping hole.

Weber would be a luxury, but he's not a need for this team. Edler put up as many points as Weber. He's the teams number 1 offensive defenseman.

Weber ain't coming here, so it really doesn't matter now anyways.

So basically your saying drafting late in the first round is too risky so why even bother? :lol: I guess Philly should have traded away their 22nd overall pick instead of drafting Giroux huh?

There's lots of good examples of drafting elite players in the first round. If a team has good drafting and development, there's no reason why a late first round pick can't be as good as an early first round pick.

I think it's more likely that they become at least decent players than it is that they won't. Every one of those players were ranked much higher than they were taken by us. But hey, if you wanna be pessimistic that's your choice.

Schroeder had the same PPG as Hodgson did in the AHL at the same age. And he went on to have a great rookie season. If Hodgson can do that being a smaller player who isn't very strong, there's no reason why a much faster Schroeder can't do something similar.

Weber's actually about to turn 27. There's no way he has 10 good years of hockey left. Not with the style of hockey he plays. The reason Lidstrom played as long as he did is because he played smart positional hockey and avoided physical play. The wear and tear will catch up to Weber much sooner.

The Bruins would of done the exact same thing. Weber wouldn't deter anyone from the Bruins in changing their game. We needed more toughness than that on this team.

Clearly Weber didn't really want to come home to Vancouver, otherwise he would of easily made it doable. So move on.

No, they don't. Don't give me that cliched garbage. Everyone does NOT play hurt. Aside from Nancy "Superstar" Horton getting rocked like the loser he is, what was the worst injury Boston had?

Sure, players get bumps and bruises along the way, but in the grand scheme of things, bumps and bruises are nothing compared to actual injuries.

Really? Well I think you should look up the definition of gaping then.

Weber would not be a luxury! He would be the thirty min, number one D that we have needed since our team entered the league.

I would argue that our need for a number one D (especially a rightie) is the biggest, yes gaping, hole on our team.

Yes Weber ain't coming here, but it doesn't mean we can't second guess and wonder 'what if?'

Actually, I knew the Canucks acquiring Weber would be a pipedream, just like every other top free agents. I thought Weber will soon sign with Detroit, once they were out in the Suter sweepstake.

Just wanted to point out that our scoring woes that people seem to think we have, is a myth. Whether you like to agree or not.

How is getting a defenseman when we already have 23 million tied up in our D more of a gaping hole?

You're putting too much focus on having a right-handed D-man. It`s really not as important as you`re making it out to be. We`ve had the top scoring D-core for the last few years, we`ll be fine.

When we score 8 goals in 7 games, I think you start to realize why I use the word gaping.

So basically your saying drafting late in the first round is too risky so why even bother? :lol: I guess Philly should have traded away their 22nd overall pick instead of drafting Giroux huh?

There's lots of good examples of drafting elite players in the first round. If a team has good drafting and development, there's no reason why a late first round pick can't be as good as an early first round pick.

I think it's more likely that they become at least decent players than it is that they won't. Every one of those players were ranked much higher than they were taken by us. But hey, if you wanna be pessimistic that's your choice.

Schroeder had the same PPG as Hodgson did in the AHL at the same age. And he went on to have a great rookie season. If Hodgson can do that being a smaller player who isn't very strong, there's no reason why a much faster Schroeder can't do something similar.

Weber's actually about to turn 27. There's no way he has 10 good years of hockey left. Not with the style of hockey he plays. The reason Lidstrom played as long as he did is because he played smart positional hockey and avoided physical play. The wear and tear will catch up to Weber much sooner.

The problem with Schreoder is he doesn't bring to our team what is needed. We need size in our forward group. We already have enough small speedy guys. Schreoder brings nothing to the table that we need except someone who can play centre. I will be shocked if Schroeder makes this team.

Actually, I knew the Canucks acquiring Weber would be a pipedream, just like every other top free agents. I thought Weber will soon sign with Detroit, once they were out on the Suter sweepstake.

Just wanted to point out that our scoring woes that people seem to think we have, is a myth. Whether you like to agree or not.

I disagree, we need a play maker for the second or third line. Schroeder is an unreal passer and makes any line he`s on better.

The fact that he`s small shouldn`t be a problem. Really, if we trade Raymond we don`t have that many small forwards. Put him on a line with Booth and Kassian and he`ll be fine.

Prepare to be shocked, because with Kesler out, Schroeder gone have a big shot to make the team.

Nowhere did I state that a late first round pick is useless. don't be ridiculous.

A late first rd pick has a much lower chance of becoming a top player. Simple fact.

I'm not going to argue the merits of schroeder until he does something at the ahl level. Hodgson was voted top jr player. He had a track record of top play.

Weber doesn't hit indiscriminately. His hit numbers are not high. He picks his spots because he's smart.

Forwards are terrified of getting hit by him.

He will have a long career at a high level.

Archived