Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

• Please log in to reply
1306 replies to this topic

#1141 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Bouquet tells CKWX he won't get into what the #Canucks offered for Weber but VAN was 1 of 6 teams under serious consideration

So there you go, the #Canucks have it their best shot to land Weber but come up short.

I'm dissapointed this is the 2nd time this offseason we've come up short.
My question to everyone is, can the Canucks still do a deal with the preds and match the offer sheet?
Does anyone know?

#1142 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

***Correction*** Only the idiots would riot. The normal people would be verbally angry.

It was a joke, playboi. Don't get your knickers in a twist now.
Posted Image

#1143 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Some players still believe in something called loyalty.

Doan is a rare breed I guess.

like Burnaby Joe.
Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#1144 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

What?
sundin signed w canucks.
Lidstrom won his cups already.

alfie yes he qualifies.

Sidney Crosby is a Pen for life.

#1145 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Like I stated in a earlier post, lets hope Nashville matches, and next year works out a trade option with the Canucks, as I'm sure Weber would still want to come to the Canucks with the Contract that he wanted and deserved. Go Polie Go. Match the contract.

#1146 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

I never thought Weber would be coming here after I saw the crazy contracts this offseason.

Players are trying to cash in = no one gets paid more than the twins on our team
Players are looking for long contracts = Luongo's contract taught us a lesson

lets make it more attractive for younger players to play here. there seems to be a black cloud in Vancouver's horizon.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#1147 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Poile should demand the Schenn bros.

#1148 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Only way he can demand the Schenn Bros if he matches the offersheet, then he has to wait a year for a trade. Do you really think that Nashville will have anything to do with Philly after this. Vancouver still has a chance, small chance, but still a chance.

#1149 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

So he doesn't owe the Preds for drafting him, putting time and money into his development, providing him an awesome farm team to develop on, awesome D partners to play with, and making him a captain and the face of the Predators?

I would say that's pretty cold if he feels that way. You think Burrows would ever say that about the Canucks organization?

I have no problem with him wanting to leave. I just don't believe in trying to leave his team the way he did. Just my opinion.

I honestly believe Doan will give Phoenix every last chance to bring him back, but if things go sour, yea there's a possibility he could leave. I still think that's the less likely outcome though.

I agree with Deniro. It's not just loyalty but honor as well.

Weber has a right just like any other player to contend for the Cup.

He has a right to get paid too.

That being said, he could have allowed Poile to trade him. This way Poile wouldn't be standing their with his $%*& in his hand.

The reason Weber didn't come here? So that he wouldn't screw Trotz by playing in the same conference. That's it.

Philadelphia will be a great spot for Weber. If Pronger comes back. ouch!

But they still have that sieve Bryzgalov. That will be Weber's regret. Bryzgalov will end up like DiPietro.

And once Briere, Giroux and company are up for being resigned, where's the money going to come from?

This should have happened via trade. It would have been much more beneficial for everyone.

Did Poile refuse a trade after Weber stated his disinterest? Who knows? If that is the case, then Poile had it coming.

If Weber said things were fine and then got the reacharound from Holmgren? Well there is a selfish player we don't need.
Posted Image

#1150 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

if I'm Poile I'd match it and then trade him after the one year NTC period to bring back many young assets. Sure, he has the cap space now, but if there are several young players who can come back the other way and help fill other roster gaps then he could really win long-term.

If Howson thinks Nash is worth 4 roster players (which he's not, he's worth less than Weber) then I wonder what kind of package Shea could get dealt for! :frantic:

Edmonton makes sense, but next July Weber will have his own NTC kicking in.

It would be ridiculous of nashville to match the offer sheet their team Captain signed. The CAPTAIN just tried to jump ship and swim for it, how do you sell that to the fans after you match the offer sheet? How much effort do you think the guy puts in for you for the next 14 years after you snatch him back off the life boat he was almost safely aboard?

Matching would be more devastating long term to Nashville than watching him go at this point.

Hardly comparable situation. Consider the full impact of the situations, not just the similarity of it being an offer sheet. Kes signed before he broke out. 1.9m*2 years I think it was? Completely different than your team captain signing a career contract that's structured to deter your team from matching.

The situations aren't comparable.

Some players still believe in something called loyalty.

Doan is a rare breed I guess.

like Burnaby Joe.

http://news.google.c...fer sheet&hl=en

Failed Bid for Sakic Won't Deter Rangers

By JOE LAPOINTE
Published: August 14, 1997

Their failure to acquire Joe Sakic will not necessarily discourage the Rangers from bidding for other restricted free agents this summer in an attempt to replace Mark Messier.
Soon after the Colorado Avalanche yesterday matched the Rangers' $21 million contract offer to Sakic, Neil Smith, the president and general manager of the Rangers, said, ''We're going to try to improve the club by either trades or acquisitions through free agency.'' Asked specifically about restricted free agents in Sakic's category, Smith said, ''We'll look at that avenue again.''
Smith emphasized that the Rangers have the money they would have paid to Messier, their captain and first-line center, who left in July as an unrestricted free agent. Messier signed with the Vancouver Canucks for $20 million for three years, more than the Rangers were willing to invest in a 36-year-old veteran who earned $6 million last season.

Dave Checketts, president of Madison Square Garden, said recently that the Rangers would have paid Messier up to $7 million next season on a one-year guaranteed contract.

http://www.nytimes.c...er-rangers.html

Even Hall of Fame team captains sign RFA offersheets.

Edited by Millerdraft, 20 July 2012 - 10:02 AM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1151 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Those picks will be late ones.... since Philly won't be finishing anywhere near the bottom of the league with Weber added to that team.

You do know Kesler was a late pick so was Cory Scienderman and Weber was drafted in the second round. Just because your early does not mean you make it.

#1152 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Poile doesn't have to demand anything. He already got 4 1st round picks if he doesn't match.

My question to everyone is, can the Canucks still do a deal with the preds and match the offer sheet?
Does anyone know?

When was the 1st time we came up short? I'm not sure what your whinning about. I think we scored big in Garrison, if you look at what is out there next ufa. which is nothing.

Your 2nd question, no, nothing can be done right now. Once an offer sheet is signed, Weber is either going to be a Predators of a Flyers. He also cannot be traded for at least 1 year. So Any hopes of Weber coming here is virtually destroyed. Props to Gillis for trying though.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1153 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

It's "our", OUR!!!!!!!!!!!

ok

Edited by LanghorneslimRules, 20 July 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#1154 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

It doesn`t matter who previous GM`s have drafted, it matters who Gillis has drafted.

Pretending that we still had Hodgson, would you trade Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, and Gaunce for Weber? Those are Gillis's 4 1st round picks so far, so that's the calibre of players we would likely have to give up.

I wouldn't. But I don't think there's a price that anyone wouldn't pay for Weber based on some of these posts.

So I guess we should just offer up Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Ballard, and Kassian for Weber next summer.

I was just merely stating the overall likelihood of getting a good player off eight draft picks. It had nothing to do with us landing Weber just the chances of landing a good player through drafting. We are not getting Weber.

Edited by LanghorneslimRules, 20 July 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#1155 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Scott Stevens, Joe Sakic and Sergei Fedorov were all signed to offer sheets which their teams matched. They all won cups shortly thereafter.

... And Kesler?

Posted Image

#1156 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

... And Kesler?

*that* close.

And this coming season I think we can get that close again, with a couple moves.

I think Nashville has to match, as much as it will screw them financially. It sets the wrong precedent if they don't retain their best player ever. And filling those seats will become quite a challenge without Webs.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#1157 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

*that* close.

And this coming season I think we can get that close again, with a couple moves.

I think Nashville has to match, as much as it will screw them financially. It sets the wrong precedent if they don't retain their best player ever. And filling those seats will become quite a challenge without Webs.

I believe they'll match. They were willing to go 13-years/$91m with Suter, on top of Rinne's 7-years/$49m, and there were rumours they tried to land Parise. Besides, had Suter decided to stay they would've had to have shelled out $12m this season for Suter + at least $7.5m for Weber's QO = $19.5m.

The money is there.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1158 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

And in keeping with tradition they'll wait the maximum amount of time before matching. I guess it's safe to ignore hockey for the next week then. Not that I could...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#1159 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

It was bad timing for Shea to be entering his final year of RFA in the same year as the CBA is expiring since even though the Canucks admitted to thinking of signing Weber to a 1-year offersheet (something I've been clamoring for for a few years now), a 1-year offersheet might not have sprung him lose since the NHL is trying to raise the age of UFA.

#1160 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,546 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

In Nashville 'the money is there' if the season continues as planned. But in the case of a lockout, is the money still there to cover Weber's insane signing bonus(es)?

The reason the offer hasn't been matched instantly is that it's going to be tough for Nashville ownership to swallow that cost, esp. while not bringing in any income during a probable lockout.

Perhaps they're lobbying the NHL to invalidate Philly's offersheet, seeing as $1mil actual salary seems pretty low for a player of Weber's stature.

Perhaps they're working the numbers to see if they can actually afford to keep Weber.

Or perhaps they're working on a match and trade scenario, although they'd still be on the hook for a lot of immediate cash with this existing offer. They can trade to Philly still though?

I hope Nashville matches, but it's not 100% certain.
Posted Image

#1161 4LifeCanuck

4LifeCanuck

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Let's say Nashville were unable to match this contract. Could they still trade Weber to us before the deadline for our 1st rounders and let's say Hansen?

we then match that 14 yrs offer from Philly and trade Edler to them for 2 of their top youngsters. (Courtourier, Schenn, etc)

#1162 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Let's say Nashville were unable to match this contract. Could they still trade Weber to us before the deadline for our 1st rounders and let's say Hansen?

we then match that 14 yrs offer from Philly and trade Edler to them for 2 of their top youngsters. (Courtourier, Schenn, etc)

Nashville can Keep Weber or let Philly have him. There are no other options.

#1163 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

In Nashville 'the money is there' if the season continues as planned. But in the case of a lockout, is the money still there to cover Weber's insane signing bonus(es)?

The reason the offer hasn't been matched instantly is that it's going to be tough for Nashville ownership to swallow that cost, esp. while not bringing in any income during a probable lockout.

Perhaps they're lobbying the NHL to invalidate Philly's offersheet, seeing as $1mil actual salary seems pretty low for a player of Weber's stature.

Perhaps they're working the numbers to see if they can actually afford to keep Weber.

Or perhaps they're working on a match and trade scenario, although they'd still be on the hook for a lot of immediate cash with this existing offer. They can trade to Philly still though?

I hope Nashville matches, but it's not 100% certain.

These are valid concerns for matching. However, there are equally important financial concerns for not matching, namely them not having a marketable team anymore. Their team was essentially decent forwards, elite D, and good goaltending. Without Weber and Suter their goaltending won't look as good and their forwards will need to pick up a lot of the defensive slack. Add to that that they're not going to have anything in the way of celebrity status unless they want to draw upon their American Idol connections...

It would be like us losing the twins and Lu in the same year. What's our identity after that? Difference is our fans don't have so many alternative scenes.

Edited by suolucidir, 20 July 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#1164 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

I never thought Weber would be coming here after I saw the crazy contracts this offseason.

Players are trying to cash in = no one gets paid more than the twins on our team
Players are looking for long contracts = Luongo's contract taught us a lesson

lets make it more attractive for younger players to play here. there seems to be a black cloud in Vancouver's horizon.

yeah, but the Canucks have no control over who the Province hires or what they publish...

#1165 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Zing!

#1166 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Bouquet tells CKWX he won't get into what the #Canucks offered for Weber but VAN was 1 of 6 teams under serious consideration

So there you go, the #Canucks have it their best shot to land Weber but come up short.

Does anyone know?

No, once he signed the offer-sheet, he's either going to Philly or staying in Nashville. I'm glad Gillis at least tried to fetch him, and Weber was really considering it too.

But oh well, maybe down the road we will trade for him, OR maybe the contract will get rejected by the league, considering this is the sort of thing they want to get rid of.
Posted Image

#1167 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

The only chance we have in getting this guy is if the Preds match and trade him the following year.

Tough pill to swallow for the Preds considering the ridiculous signing bonus for year one. But I see that as their best option to get some players back unless Philly hands them over someone during this 7 day period.

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#1168 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

It was a joke, playboi. Don't get your knickers in a twist now.

I don't care man, your joke sucked.

Subbancopy.jpg

#1169 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Nashville is backed into a corner and has got to match. It'll cost them steeply, but it is the message they have to send, it will give them a year to right themselves, it will give their fans a boost of morale after losing Suter, it will keep them more competitive in the short run, and most importantly they can then turn around and deal Weber in a year if they want, and make someone pay - bigtime.

Of course - they have the option of forcing Philly to let go of assets now if they want Weber.
If I am Poile, I tell the Flyers the price is Couturier, Simmonds, Vorachek, Coburn and a 1st - or we match and you can puck...

Edited by oldnews, 20 July 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#1170 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,546 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Guaranteed other prominent RFA's like Evander Kane, PK Subban and Jamie Benn are all licking their chops now.

While a team like Pheonix, with OEL coming up next summer, has got to be concerned. He looks like the real deal already. Although Yandle is being shopped.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.