The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's better Raymond or Hansen

smokes

Raymond or Hansen?  

270 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest gumballthechewy

A fit Raymond is better than a fit Hansen. Raymond is always playing against the better defenders. He is also unlucky that he plays with Booth and Kes who puck hog to a ridiculous degree.

Raymond is also better defensively, again likely to be up against better players.

Although salary is not definitive, why else would Raymond be making almost double what Hansen makes?

I would actually like to see Raymond with Higgins and Hansen on the 3rd if we continue to keep Booth.

Raymond plays against better defenders? Well Hansen plays against top lines, he's focused primarily on shutting down the best players in the league. Who's job is harder here?

No matter how you cut it, Raymond has always had a better choice of linemates in his time with this club compared to Hansen. Raymond also gets plenty of undeserved PP time.

And Raymond is not better defensively than Hansen. And quit throwing the speed argument, in all the speed competitions, Hansen finishes less than a second behind Raymond. Speed is not an indicator of a better defensive player.

It's a tough call. I think Hansen plays his role a lot better and is more useful to our team than Raymond overall, but a fully healthy Raymond I feel is still the better player at least offensively. My vote to Hansen though, he's a lot more useful to the club and so I think the 'better player'.

Hansen. The honey badger is a ferocious checker, great at killing penalties, tough to play against in the corners and doesn't go invisible in the Playoffs. Basically, everything Raymond isn't. I had made a deal with my wife when she was pregnant last year that we'd name our baby Yannick (I know he spells his Jannick) if it was a boy. We ended up having a girl so it never came to fruition but the OP's question is a no-brainer. Hansen, when on a hot streak, can crack the top six and, when he not potting goals, plays very well on the bottom six. Raymond, when on a hot streak, looks right at home on the top six, but when he's not hot (which is often) he doesn't fit into the bottom six. That's what makes Hansen a better player.

Raymond doesn't deserve the hate he gets, but Hansen is the more valuable forward simply because he's a third liner and both have similar skillsets. An upgrade to Raymond exists, and that upgrade often thought as one of the keys to the Canucks' secondary scoring issues (i.e. playmaking winger).

On the other hand, Hansen is one of the best third liners in the league because he has a good combination of grit, defensive awareness, playmaking ability and clutch scoring. Comparing Raymond and Hansen is apples and oranges (Raymond is a top six scorer, Hansen is a bottom six checker), but at the same time, Hansen plays his role better than Raymond plays his, therefore making Hansen the better player.

The problem is people look only at Raymonds stats and then decide who is better. In the last two seasons they've had pretty comparable stats offensively, while defensively, hands down, Hansen is the superior player. He is physical, fearless, positionally sound, and can shut down top players. He also can play on every line on our team, and still makes every line better he plays on.

People also when comparing the players also often make the mistake of assuming they are the same time of player. When analyzing which player is "better" per se, you have to look at who is better at their given role. Hansen is great at his role, is invaluable to his team, and plays his role as well as we can hope for.

Raymond on the other hand can barely hold onto a top 6 spot, struggles to score, and gets pushed around physically. Now I am not calling Raymond bad, but Hansen is the better player.

I can't vote because they're 2 very different players.

Mason Raymond is a sub par second line player and Hansen is a great third line player. They have both proven they don't fit on any other line. (Unless you count Hansen moving up to fill in for injuries) Problem is we are too deep for Raymond to be used in a second line role.

In my opinion you can just as easily ask, "Who is better: Dan Hamhuis or Alex Burrows?" Different players with different roles.

A fit Raymond is better than a fit Hansen. Raymond is always playing against the better defenders. He is also unlucky that he plays with Booth and Kes who puck hog to a ridiculous degree.

Raymond is also better defensively, again likely to be up against better players.

Although salary is not definitive, why else would Raymond be making almost double what Hansen makes?

I would actually like to see Raymond with Higgins and Hansen on the 3rd if we continue to keep Booth.

Hansen. Raymond was, but for whatever reason has lost his edge. Hope he gets it back, nonetheless both still have great potential and hopefully both will be huge for this team.

Hansen has a bit more potential in him though, because he can play with a little edge which isn't part of Raymond's game.

The problem is people look only at Raymonds stats and then decide who is better. In the last two seasons they've had pretty comparable stats offensively, while defensively, hands down, Hansen is the superior player. He is physical, fearless, positionally sound, and can shut down top players. He also can play on every line on our team, and still makes every line better he plays on.

People also when comparing the players also often make the mistake of assuming they are the same time of player. When analyzing which player is "better" per se, you have to look at who is better at their given role. Hansen is great at his role, is invaluable to his team, and plays his role as well as we can hope for.

Raymond on the other hand can barely hold onto a top 6 spot, struggles to score, and gets pushed around physically. Now I am not calling Raymond bad, but Hansen is the better player.

i said raymond for his skill but yeah after reading down what people say i agree mason has a problem being clumsy but he does have more skill than hansen but yes hansen does his JOB way better that raymond does his. this is the year for raymond i can feel it we had been very very patient with him so he has the picture do or die raymond shine like there is tomorrow because for you bud there may not be.( if the canuck players actually read this stuff.)

At this point they're going to score similar-ish amounts of points. They're both strong defensively and very fast, however Hansen brings a lot mroe grit and energy and is a workhorse forechecker. He's a solid player to have on a 3rd line.

Raymond possesses a better shot and offensive instincts, but is a lot more inconsistent and has trouble meeting offensive expectations if he is put in a top-six role. And if he is in a bottom-six position, he is not a good of a fit as Hansen.

Bolded part is the necessary qualifier. However, Raymond does not play to his potential. He shows flashes every so often. Hansen brings his top game night in, night out. When you talk about the quality of players, there are intangibles that don't show up on the scoresheet - consistency, work ethic, attitude. Hansen is miles ahead of Raymond in those categories.

And Hansen has actually achieved one of the rarest accomplishments known to any NHLer of the last 10 years - he got Matt Cooke to fight.

Archived