The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Hahah look at all of you lemmings!!

You all follow Luongo's words like he is Obama or Jesus v2.0.

Gillis tanned his a$$ with a willow switch and told him to conduct himself as a professional when he is bombarded in Vancouver. He did, and that's a good thing. For me, he was trying to fix the damage now that he knows he is opening the season with van.

It's not as complex as you drama queens think.

There's another faction of this board that will go to the ends of the world to try and convince themselves that there's never any trouble in the paradise that is the Vancouver Canucks.

Rupert, we are arguing over semantics. Luongo wants out, which you have acknowledged. He wants to start, and the Canucks don't want to pay $5.2M per year for a backup. They have chosen Schneider. That is obvious. And while he hasn't stood in front of a camera and said explicitly "Trade me, Vancouver Canucks, or this will be a massive distraction", you can reasonably assume that that's the type of chatter that's going on behind closed doors.

I'm not going to listen to the whole interview again, but didn't Luongo say that he didn't expect to be back here when August hit? Didn't he say that he wasn't expecting to be at Canucks' camp? If I'm not mistaken, those two comments lead to his ringing endorsement of "there are worse things in life" than starting the season off with the Canucks.

You really think that this wouldn't be a distraction? That the team would just carry-on, lovey-dovey, unphased by all of the extra attention - even more than usual?

Say the best deal we could get for Luongo is Colbourne , Franson and a 2nd. Does anyone think it would be possible to use those assets, add 1 or 2 more and get Evander Kane? I'm not gonna make an actual proposal cause it's the wrong forum for it....but basically I would like to see Gillis trade Luongo for assets and use those assets plus whatever else we need to throw in (i.e. booth) to get Kane.

Then 'when' doan signs.....just wow.

What I gathered from the news conference is...

1. MG is willing to keep Luongo unless he gets a good offer (ie. not scraps). Go younger and bigger.

2. Luongo may not like it but will play in Vancouver if there's no other choice.

3. Luongo not limiting his choices of teams (but most likely not a celler dweller...as MG says...good for team and Lu).

Pretty much what we knew anyways.

So...which teams needs Lu but is also not a last place team? Start from there. Look at their assets and suggest a good return for Luongo (remembering MG current motto of younger and bigger).

There's another faction of this board that will go to the ends of the world to try and convince themselves that there's never any trouble in the paradise that is the Vancouver Canucks.

Rupert, we are arguing over semantics. Luongo wants out, which you have acknowledged. He wants to start, and the Canucks don't want to pay $5.2M per year for a backup. They have chosen Schneider. That is obvious. And while he hasn't stood in front of a camera and said explicitly "Trade me, Vancouver Canucks, or this will be a massive distraction", you can reasonably assume that that's the type of chatter that's going on behind closed doors.

I'm not going to listen to the whole interview again, but didn't Luongo say that he didn't expect to be back here when August hit? Didn't he say that he wasn't expecting to be at Canucks' camp? If I'm not mistaken, those two comments lead to his ringing endorsement of "there are worse things in life" than starting the season off with the Canucks.

You really think that this wouldn't be a distraction? That the team would just carry-on, lovey-dovey, unphased by all of the extra attention - even more than usual?

You seriously take these guys at their word with respect to what they say to the media?

Mike Gillis FLAT-OUT-LIED on Team Radio when he was asked if he had qualified M-A Gragnani. He said "Yes"; it was an utter lie.

And let's not forget that Cody Hodgson was once described as a man of the highest character imaginable, who came from a great family, was an undeniable leader, Mike Gillis wanted him to marry his daughter, etc. Then, he got traded, and he somehow became an annoying, selfish, spoiled, brat, in the span of about 48 hours.

Most of these guys (Gillis especially) have no respect for the media at all, and it shows. They'll say whatever will end the interview the quickest, and that's about it. Honestly, what did Luongo say today that was even a slight surprise? What did you expect? For him to show up in a rage, throwing his stick around and yelling like a madman, "TRADE ME! TRAAAAAADE MEEEEEEEE!"

The two main things that he said was that he has a lot of respect for the organization, and that they've always treated him well. Uh, yeah, a 12-year, $64M deal might have something to do with that. He also said that "there are worse things in life" than being brought back to the Canucks to start the year; uh, yeah, again, thanks, Captain Obvious. He's really not saying anything.

To be honest, my biggest takeaway from the whole thing was how sad it's gonna be when he's actually gone. He seems to have finally grown up - a completely different guy than the guy who came here in '06. It'd be a pretty amazing thing to see him raise Lord Stanley some day.

Hahah look at all of you lemmings!!

You all follow Luongo's words like he is Obama or Jesus v2.0.

Gillis tanned his a$$ with a willow switch and told him to conduct himself as a professional  when he is bombarded in Vancouver. He did, and that's a good thing. For me, he was trying to fix the damage now that he knows he is opening the season with van.

It's not as complex as you drama queens think.

I respect the fact that Luongo answered the last question the way he did - he clearly said that it is disrespectful to be talking about other teams or organizations - obviously everyone has been talking and speculating about where he would wind up, in part because he obliged the question after the playoffs by saying he'd waive his NTC is asked - but his comment came across, as far as I am concerned, as an acknowledgement that not refraining from entertaining those questions or discussions was not prudent. I don't really care that much to complain about what he has said - I think people have over-reacted and have been expecting the guy to walk on eggshells. I respect that he essentially implied that it was disrespectful for him to speak about Florida or other destinations.... in fairness to Luongo, if he had refrained from all those discussions, he'd probably be the only one who had done so - and I think he has walked a fine enough line in any event.

Virtually everything you post is a presumption to judge what you essentially know next to nothing about.

Gillis did say he qualified Gragnani - I heard that as well - what you and I don't know is what happened between that interview and what transpired in the end. For example here is a scenario that is every bit as likely as your simplistic "he flat out lied" judgement - which you make knowing absolutely none of the context. Not surprising - that seems to be what you like to do. Gillis and the Canucks decide which players they are qualifying, Gillis speaks with Team Radio and is asked about who those players are (not necessarily sensitive material that must be guarded), Gillis speaks to Gragnani's agent, Gragnani's agent informs Gillis that they don't consider the 550k+10% sufficient - Canucks decide that they aren't going to bother qualifying Gragnani if that is the case. Or, another possibility - Gillis and the Canucks decide to qualify Gragnani - Gragnani and agent want assurance regarding what his role will be - do the Canucks intend to sign Schultz and/or Garrision? Gragnani expresses that he prefers to go to free agency, sign for more money and play in an organization where he won't be 8 or 9th on the depth chart. Canucks decide to set him free.

Conclusion - your assumption that Gillis is the villian is consistent with the rest of your posts, but being based on next to nothing, is also consistent with the rest of your posts.

I respect the fact that Luongo answered the last question the way he did - he clearly said that it is disrespectful to be talking about other teams or organizations - obviously everyone has been talking and speculating about where he would wind up, in part because he obliged the question after the playoffs by saying he'd waive his NTC is asked - but his comment came across, as far as I am concerned, as an acknowledgement that not refraining from entertaining those questions or discussions was not prudent.

Joe Thornton is a bit better than a "big, tough, third line center". He's a perennial all-star, Olympian, Hart, & Art Ross winner. You're saying that Joe Colborne's gonna be better?

I do agree that Toronto is probably a more logical trade partner than Florida, but, don't ever forget, Lou controls where he goes. And I suspect that Toronto is not a team that he'll want to go to. I do believe Botchford's assertion that there was a trade in place that had Schenn coming to Vancouver for Lou, which was vetoed by Lou. Lou can say all the right things to the media, put on a smiling face, etc., but I think the odds are high that he'll still end up in Florida. Mostly, because that's where he wants to be.

OK, well, reality has taken place, Roberto said that he didn't expect to be here still, at this time, and I would think that Gillis would have MUCH preferred to have gotten rid of this distraction before camp.

So, yes, he's already proving hard to trade.

Joe Thornton? The same classless git that put his finger in Henrik's face like a middle school brat? That speaks volumes, king.

That and the fact that you look to Jason Botchford for your Canucks news.

Just a question. Are you an ccc44 the same guy? I think you are.

I agree he may be proving hard to trade and I'm sure Gillis would have loved to have a great deal already completed. Since that did not happen at this point in time it must be dealt with as it is. Just because you may have missed an opportunity or even screwed something up and short changed yourself there is no reason to just throw your hands up and give up what you still have. Even if we missed a good opportunity we are still in a position where we need to make the best decision possible. As others have mentioned this could well include holding on to Lou until his trade value goes up which it surely will. He is still a top tender in the NHL. We don't have to trade him for peanuts just because we didn't already get Stamkos for him. From what Lou is saying he seems to have rethought his stance and would be alright platooning with Schnieder until a move can be made.

Whatever happens we still need a backup goalie and having the best one in hockey for a couple extra months and the power to pull off a big trade is better than selling out and sulking about the situation IMO.

What Lou has done in the interview is lay the groundwork for a short return to Vancouver that would not destroy the team. It was very intelligently done I think.

Archived