The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

I agree he may be proving hard to trade and I'm sure Gillis would have loved to have a great deal already completed. Since that did not happen at this point in time it must be dealt with as it is. Just because you may have missed an opportunity or even screwed something up and short changed yourself there is no reason to just throw your hands up and give up what you still have. Even if we missed a good opportunity we are still in a position where we need to make the best decision possible. As others have mentioned this could well include holding on to Lou until his trade value goes up which it surely will. He is still a top tender in the NHL. We don't have to trade him for peanuts just because we didn't already get Stamkos for him. From what Lou is saying he seems to have rethought his stance and would be alright platooning with Schnieder until a move can be made.

Huet isn't a good comparison to this situation. He was ok with LA, then had a very good first season with Montreal after the lockout, and then was ok again until being traded to Washington where he had very good numbers in the 13 games he played with them to close out the season. He was a UFA after that year and never did anything special with a stacked Chicago team, who'd signed him after Washington. He lost his job as a starter by being not that great from the get go, with only flashes of good play over his career

Luongo's numbers were ok with a huge workload on a bad Florida team and actually improved when he came to us as an indication of his worth as a goalie. Only two years ago (the first year with Schneids as the backup) he actually posted his best numbers ever (apart from wins as he played less games). Schneider didn't replace him because he was bad, it was to shake up the team when they weren't playing well in front of either goalie in the playoffs.

I believe that Gragnani's people, in fact, had later confirmed that they never heard anything from Mike Gillis at all.

Spare you? Why? Because it goes against your point? Look, another fact is that Cody Hodgson was Trevor Linden until he ended up being traded, where he very quickly turned to Eric Lindros. That also happened.

Yeah, funny how his comments were a little different from last week's, when he said that Florida's a preferred destination for him, isn't it?

Excerpt from Tony Gallagher's article today:

• Look at Roberto Luongo's orchestrated performance at Northview on Wednesday. He sits a half-hour with the Canucks vice-president of communications T.C. Carling, who is paid by the owner who's about to try to renege on a contract, and listens to instructions on what he's supposed to say to the media. Everything comes out nicely, sweet as pie.

Huet isn't a good comparison to this situation. He was ok with LA, then had a very good first season with Montreal after the lockout, and then was ok again until being traded to Washington where he had very good numbers in the 13 games he played with them to close out the season. He was a UFA after that year and never did anything special with a stacked Chicago team, who'd signed him after Washington. He lost his job as a starter by being not that great from the get go, with only flashes of good play over his career

Luongo's numbers were ok with a huge workload on a bad Florida team and actually improved when he came to us as an indication of his worth as a goalie. Only two years ago (the first year with Schneids as the backup) he actually posted his best numbers ever (apart from wins as he played less games). Schneider didn't replace him because he was bad, it was to shake up the team when they weren't playing well in front of either goalie in the playoffs.

Actually Elvis, Luongo had a great 2010 season because melanson corrected his short comings and Lou had his best year statiscally. Unfortunatly, he reverted to bad habits during the playoffs and continued this past season. Had he continued following Melanson;s coaching...he would not be in his current. trade, situation. Yes, Schneider replaced him because he was playing miles better.

Ah, so that explains why Luongo was the starter all year even after Schneider played well in a string of games while Lu was injured and continued as the starter in the playoffs. I'm glad you cleared that up.

It was only in an effort to shake up the team that they put Schneider in net in the LA series, as they felt Luongo was not the problem, but how the team was playing in front of him was. If Luongo was truly the issue and Schneider was miles better, then how come Schneider didn't win us all the games with his stellar performance once he got the starts?

Ah, so that explains why Luongo was the starter all year even after Schneider played well in a string of games while Lu was injured and continued as the starter in the playoffs. I'm glad you cleared that up.

It was only in an effort to shake up the team that they put Schneider in net in the LA series, as they felt Luongo was not the problem, but how the team was playing in front of him was. If Luongo was truly the issue and Schneider was miles better, then how come Schneider didn't win us all the games with his stellar performance once he got the starts?

'

Dude, do you not read anything?  He has not said "I wish to be traded", but really what does "It's time to move on" mean?  There are many other quotes too, but get with the times, and stop doubting if you haven't been paying attention.

If you go to the bathroom during a movie so you argue with people when they fill you in with what happened?

"It's time to move on" is not a demand to be traded. It's recognition of the fact that his time is likely done here. Not the same as demanding a trade.

I'm "arguing" with people because they continue to make assumptions and then post them as fact. The trade demand is a good example. I've read every post in this thread and several article written about this story and I still disagree with you and King of the ES when you say Luogo has asked to be traded "multiple times". The only direct quote I've read is this "time to move on" bit and the comment immediately after last season's end, that he would waive his NTC if asked.

If there truly are "many other quotes" as you say, then please post them.

Archived