The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan is in Van today meeting with Canucks

Southpop45

Have you been drinking too many VB's down under there mate? The Canucks currently have 0 power forwards in their top 6. One potential one in Kassian and that's it. Give your boomerang a shake.

Both Doan and Arnott are older than 35, yes.

But they are both a lot bigger, so they both may fit into Gillis' plans for the younger and bigger type team we want.

Its most likely why he is after Bjugstad and Matthias because they are both younger, but also bigger. Two in one for those two guys.

Both Doan and Arnott are older than 35, yes.

But they are both a lot bigger, so they both may fit into Gillis' plans for the younger and bigger type team we want.

Its most likely why he is after Bjugstad and Matthias because they are both younger, but also bigger. Two in one for those two guys.

You guys are so freaking short cited.

When 2014-15 comes around and we have a 37 year old Doan coming off a 15 goal, 33 point season on contract for 2 more years at 6 million a year (in a much reduced cap thanks to a new CBA), these same posters will be calling for his head.

Like someone who has no clue? Spot on, buddy, spot on.

I love how you say you don't want me knowing you (something I wholeheartedly agree with) and then proceed to tell me something (useless) about you.

Make sure before you type them down that your ideas make sense.

Now go away.

I don't think you can say "Now go away" when he already essentially told you to buzz off and you just didn't shut up. You're the one keeping the confrontation going, not the other way around. How about we do this crazy thing called "talking about hockey" in this hockey forum?

I think Shane was saying N.Y. and Philly was incredible just to show some respect to their respective organizations. He has his mind set on Vancouver I can feel it! We might even get a couple of big time deals happen (ie Luongo, Doan) this week! just wishful thinking on my part :P

It was a report based on what a desperate team (maybe two) offered Doan. He and his agent have said nothing about what he's asking, and honestly I don't think he cares too much. I could see him playing for quite a bit less than the numbers being thrown around if he is sold well enough on a city and accepts his production is waning but could be bolstered by the quality of our organization and coaching staff. He seems like a realist and I can see Vancouver selling him on all of those factors. If so, I can see his cap hit being far below what we all fear.

Two other things that just struck me. The monkey wrench that could be thrown into this deal is that he has stated he enjoyed the anonymity of being in PHX. He would definitely lose that here but how much that would bother him, we don't know. I expect it was one of the first questions he asked of our players. On the plus side, we would likely also be the one club that are happy with the slow pace this signing is going at. We don't want to sign Doan tomorrow then have to dump Lou for cap relief. I imagine other GMs are trying to get this deal done while Gillis is saying he'd be an awesome piece to the puzzle but we respect his willingness to wait for PHX. That low-pressure sales pitch can make a hell of a difference.

Archived