The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

Sharpshooter

I don't see why people have to bring this up in interviews. You are religious? Good for you. I don't walk around the office telling people that the trade I made was because being Agnostic or Atheist or Catholic really helped me. Whether it did or not is not the point. Other's don't need to know because then you are imposing something, even if not intentionally.

Same argument as the gay pride thing. Good for you, but no one walks around shouting from the rooftops how gloriously straight they are so.... how about everyone just tones down their personal business. We are in an age of no filter.

Okay wise guy - Person A wants to be happy and needs all resources to maximize his happiness.

Person B wants to be happy and needs all resources to maximize his happiness.

How do we make everyone happy? There is a level of cognitive rationality that does not allow us to satisfy everyone and therefore the philosophy that we ought to just make ourselves happy is doomed to self-destruct.

Okay wise guy - Person A wants to be happy and needs all resources to maximize his happiness.

Person B wants to be happy and needs all resources to maximize his happiness.

How do we make everyone happy? There is a level of cognitive rationality that does not allow us to satisfy everyone and therefore the philosophy that we ought to just make ourselves happy is doomed to self-destruct.

I asked you to bear in mind that not all religious folk are pro-life, anti-gay, and bigots.

You are really not doing much to prove me wrong from when I said that you are ignorant to the beliefs of many people who follow religion.

But since you asked:

Apologies%3Amaladjustedmedia.com.png

Nathan Albert of the Marin Foundation (a conservative Christian foundation) and various other members of the group at the Chicago Pride Parade.

The legitimate concern has arisen that she has, does, or might, based on her own admission that she looks to the Bible to help her make tough decisions. Logic dictates that she has and will...since many tough decisions are part and parcel in occupying the seat of Premier of B.C.

Your general agreements with me are irrelevant.

Can I ask why it matters how Christy Clark came to a particular decision when making laws? As others have already pointed out, there's a long line of steps required and safe guards that need to be passed and votes that need to be cast before something gets put into law... I mean, she's just as likely to get a specific policy passed by basing her decision on flipping a coin or actually using facts and evidence...

So either the system is working fine and this is really a non-issue, or the system is broke and this shouldn't BE the issue...

In that case we can't make everyone happy. The most moral action by his definition is to maximize total well-being (ie. take the best possible course of action), not to make everyone happy in some sort of idealistic utopia that doesn't exist in reality.

Looking to the Bible does not automatically equal pushing religious values towards people.

Who cares how she makes her decisions, that should not be an issue. The issue should be the actual decisions she makes. So far, none of her decisions have portrayed that she is trying to push religious values on the people.

Your ignorance to this is absolutely astounding.

Using religious texts to decide on secular matters is very much pushing one's religious beliefs on the rest of society. If I, for example, was a devout Jewish Premier who had a decision to make about an issue surrounding swine flu management, and I decided to base a legislative decision to ban all pork products from B.C whether domestically grown or sourced from elsewhere, and I did so after consulting the Torah or whatever scripture that outlaws pork as an 'unclean' animal. Then I just made a secular decision based on religious inspiration that now will affect the non-Jewish constituents who raise pigs on their farms, as well as the bacon-loving constituency of B.C.

You keep using the word 'ignorance' or 'ignorant', yet you still have been able to answer, how?

And even if I do, does it change anything that you believe about her? Even without this discussion, from page 1 and your original post, you write her off as a "moron" who believes Enbridge "was ordained from God."

Hard to discuss anything with a close-minded person like you if you already decide to create a conclusion based on that.

I don't know what you're still doing here, other than to drive this thread off-topic (like every other thread) with your assertions that Christians are genocide-endorsing rapists who abuse children.

Define secular matters? How is one issue only exclusive to a secular area? People are people. We live in the same world. We breathe the same air, we eat the same food, we go to the same schools.

Don't throw that word secular around as if it's a repellent to all things spiritual. My values affect the way I view the world and I think it is a travesty that there are so many ignored children in Cambodia. Therefore, I should act upon my convictions and do something about it through any means possible, secular or religious, it doesn't matter.

Matters that are non-religious. Many, if not most policy matters are secular issues that have no basis or grounding in religion.

Donations to Secular vs religious organizations can matter. Not all are equal. And many religious organizations use famine and other disaster to proselytize or put immoral religious based conditions on their aid.

See: Africa

Archived