The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need help on buying a Guitar

_Kick_Save_

I have always wanted to learn how to play and am looking to buy an acoustic guitar that will kick start a new hobby! I admit I don't know much about different brands or anything like that, and would like some input about what guitar would be the right fit for a total noob like myself!

Thanks!

Well, depending on how much of a noob you truly are, I'd start with the air guitar just to give your body a feel for such things as:

- how you should pose

- to get comfortable performing windmills on certain riffs

- which hand you feel most comfortable leading with.

Also, the price is right.

I have always wanted to learn how to play and am looking to buy an acoustic guitar that will kick start a new hobby! I admit I don't know much about different brands or anything like that, and would like some input about what guitar would be the right fit for a total noob like myself!

Thanks!

Do not buy a guitar from London Drugs or Toys R Us. Buy one from a real music store.

Like Canuckerbird mentioned, lower end Brand name guitars are pretty decent. The prices are quite affordable and great for beginners.

I'm still playing my Beaver Creek guitar from 2005. It has needed some minor repairs but still plays alright.

P.S Your finger tips will hurt for the first few months of playing.

I agree with everything above (although starting with air-guitar may not be very substantial...in the most literal sense). If you're in the sub-$200 range I highly reccomend Yamaha. The advice I usually give is "don't fork out a lot of money until you're certain you're getting is what you want," so when you're a beginner I always suggest spending less. That being said, it's ideal if you can bring an experienced friend with you who can pick up on the subtleties of a guitar (things like the fret-action and other playability-related factors). That way you can get something worthwhile without paying too much. Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean it has to be bad!

...and yeah, your fingers will hurt. Just stick with it and it'll go away. It's always a bit sad when I hear someone say they really wanted to play guitar but they quit because it hurt their fingers. Think of it like working-out, if that helps. :P

I took some lessons a few years ago and I rented a guitar from long and mcquade. It was something like $3 a month. Meanwhile, I could figure out if spending 200 or so to have my own would be worth it.

Edit: sorry, I should mention I ended up buying a Yamaha for just over 200.

Definitely wait to see if you really want to play guitar before you spend a ton 'o cash. Guitar takes a lot of work and practice.

Alvarez makes a good entry level acoustic that we use in our school's music program. Empire Music at 8553 Main Street has really good quality classical guitars (wider neck, nylon strings) for $80 and up.

Ultimately, pick up and hold and feel tons of guitars before you choose one to purchase. Take your time. It's important to buy a guitar that feels great in your hands.

Have fun, dude! :)

:towel::canucks:

Bring along a friend or relative who plays, they would know some of the details to look for. Pick one that is suitable to what kind of music you want to learn. A nylon string classical is easier on the fingers, but isn't much good for any other type of music, a steel string acoustic is a good all purpose guitar, you can play along with most types of music with one, if you want to learn metal and gonzo shred lead, a solid body electric would be best, if you are into jazz or blues a hollow body electric (semi acoustic) might be the best choice.

Bring along a friend or relative who plays, they would know some of the details to look for. Pick one that is suitable to what kind of music you want to learn. A nylon string classical is easier on the fingers, but isn't much good for any other type of music, a steel string acoustic is a good all purpose guitar, you can play along with most types of music with one, if you want to learn metal and gonzo shred lead, a solid body electric would be best, if you are into jazz or blues a hollow body electric (semi acoustic) might be the best choice.

Thanks!

First thing you need to do is when you pick up a guitar see if your hand can wrap all the way around. The necks on guitars come in various shapes and sizes. If you are serious about learning find the neck that best allows you to extend your fingers onto the fret board with the widest spread. Nylon stings are for sound really . Most Flamenco and classical guitarists will generally use nylon or hybrid type. Stick with traditional metal strings made for an acoustic. Your fingers will adapt do not listen to the pansies saying only play on nylon!

Stretch your hands and fingers and practice! practice ! practice! Do not get discouraged , break through the wall learn your favorite tune and go from there.

Look at kijiji, local music shops, even pawn shops have some really good units. Make sure the neck is straight at all costs no cracks in the body etc. A shallow bodied guitar would be ideal for a beginner but again if you are serious spend a few hundy 200- 500 and get yourself a descent instrument and case that you can progress with as you get better. All brands are not created equal do your research :D

Good quality brands are Fender , Gibson(insanely expensive!) Yamaha, Ibanez, Alvarez, Dean, Epiphone(my fav) Gretsch, Jackson, Kramer, CF Martin & Company, Ovation(incredible sound and technology) Paul Reed Smith, Peavey, Taylor(crazy expensive) and Washburn. There are many other brands but try to grab one of these and you will have a solid instrument.

Archived