41 replies to this topic

#1 _Kick_Save_

_Kick_Save_

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

I have always wanted to learn how to play and am looking to buy an acoustic guitar that will kick start a new hobby! I admit I don't know much about different brands or anything like that, and would like some input about what guitar would be the right fit for a total noob like myself!

Thanks!
Posted Image

#2 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Well, depending on how much of a noob you truly are, I'd start with the air guitar just to give your body a feel for such things as:

- how you should pose
- to get comfortable performing windmills on certain riffs
- which hand you feel most comfortable leading with.

Also, the price is right.

#3 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

I have always wanted to learn how to play and am looking to buy an acoustic guitar that will kick start a new hobby! I admit I don't know much about different brands or anything like that, and would like some input about what guitar would be the right fit for a total noob like myself!

Thanks!

Buy a used guitar that's easy to play as your first one, or borrow off your friend.

Get something cheaper until you get yourself a nicer one down the road!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#4 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Lower end Yamaha guitars usually go for around $150. They're quality guitars too. I bought one in 2005 and used it till I left Vancouver last January. Sounds as good as new...although i've replaced the strings several times.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#5 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

Do not buy a guitar from London Drugs or Toys R Us. Buy one from a real music store.

Like Canuckerbird mentioned, lower end Brand name guitars are pretty decent. The prices are quite affordable and great for beginners.

I'm still playing my Beaver Creek guitar from 2005. It has needed some minor repairs but still plays alright.

P.S Your finger tips will hurt for the first few months of playing.
Posted Image

#6 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

I agree with everything above (although starting with air-guitar may not be very substantial...in the most literal sense). If you're in the sub-$200 range I highly reccomend Yamaha. The advice I usually give is "don't fork out a lot of money until you're certain you're getting is what you want," so when you're a beginner I always suggest spending less. That being said, it's ideal if you can bring an experienced friend with you who can pick up on the subtleties of a guitar (things like the fret-action and other playability-related factors). That way you can get something worthwhile without paying too much. Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean it has to be bad!

...and yeah, your fingers will hurt. Just stick with it and it'll go away. It's always a bit sad when I hear someone say they really wanted to play guitar but they quit because it hurt their fingers. Think of it like working-out, if that helps. :P

#7 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

I took some lessons a few years ago and I rented a guitar from long and mcquade. It was something like $3 a month. Meanwhile, I could figure out if spending 200 or so to have my own would be worth it.

Edit: sorry, I should mention I ended up buying a Yamaha for just over 200.

Edited by Hobbes!!!, 07 August 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#8 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

Find one at Long and Mcquades , that is on sale. And in your price range.

#9 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

Definitely wait to see if you really want to play guitar before you spend a ton 'o cash. Guitar takes a lot of work and practice.

Alvarez makes a good entry level acoustic that we use in our school's music program. Empire Music at 8553 Main Street has really good quality classical guitars (wider neck, nylon strings) for $80 and up.

Ultimately, pick up and hold and feel tons of guitars before you choose one to purchase. Take your time. It's important to buy a guitar that feels great in your hands.

Have fun, dude! :)

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#10 Sir Gary Oak

Sir Gary Oak

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

POPULAR

Learn Bass instead. There's too many guitarists nowadays.

Sincerely, A disgruntled Drummer.

#11 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

It's all about budget. If you have around $500 to spend, you should pick up a Taylor. If you have around $400 to spend, I recommend a Seagull S6. If you have around $300 I recommend a Yamaha.
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#12 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Bring along a friend or relative who plays, they would know some of the details to look for. Pick one that is suitable to what kind of music you want to learn. A nylon string classical is easier on the fingers, but isn't much good for any other type of music, a steel string acoustic is a good all purpose guitar, you can play along with most types of music with one, if you want to learn metal and gonzo shred lead, a solid body electric would be best, if you are into jazz or blues a hollow body electric (semi acoustic) might be the best choice.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#13 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I agree with everything above (although starting with air-guitar may not be very substantial...in the most literal sense).

Don't knock it!

#14 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Air guitars are free.

Just sayin'

:bigblush:

#15 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Bring along a friend or relative who plays, they would know some of the details to look for. Pick one that is suitable to what kind of music you want to learn. A nylon string classical is easier on the fingers, but isn't much good for any other type of music, a steel string acoustic is a good all purpose guitar, you can play along with most types of music with one, if you want to learn metal and gonzo shred lead, a solid body electric would be best, if you are into jazz or blues a hollow body electric (semi acoustic) might be the best choice.

I would highly recommend this. I also wouldn't cheap out on the instrument too much. Bad instruments are no fun to play and can hinder your learning a lot. It's more of an issue with electrics (it's rare to find a quality one for less than $500), but its also an issue with accoustics, where "action" is really important to the overall experience.

If you do go used, definitely bring along an expert. Things like twisted necks, are difficult to spot.

As for the rental/buying decision, remember that you will be able to sell a new guitar, in the event that you don't like it, as long as you keep in great shape.

#16 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

All of the above, plus try nylon strings to start .. they are a lot easier on the fingers .. nothing like bleeding fingertips to dissuade you from wanting to play .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#17 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

You should check out some pawn shops before going to a music store. Some gem guitars for under $100 that are perfect for the 1st timer.

#18 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks!

First thing you need to do is when you pick up a guitar see if your hand can wrap all the way around. The necks on guitars come in various shapes and sizes. If you are serious about learning find the neck that best allows you to extend your fingers onto the fret board with the widest spread. Nylon stings are for sound really . Most Flamenco and classical guitarists will generally use nylon or hybrid type. Stick with traditional metal strings made for an acoustic. Your fingers will adapt do not listen to the pansies saying only play on nylon!

Stretch your hands and fingers and practice! practice ! practice! Do not get discouraged , break through the wall learn your favorite tune and go from there.

Look at kijiji, local music shops, even pawn shops have some really good units. Make sure the neck is straight at all costs no cracks in the body etc. A shallow bodied guitar would be ideal for a beginner but again if you are serious spend a few hundy 200- 500 and get yourself a descent instrument and case that you can progress with as you get better. All brands are not created equal do your research :D

Good quality brands are Fender , Gibson(insanely expensive!) Yamaha, Ibanez, Alvarez, Dean, Epiphone(my fav) Gretsch, Jackson, Kramer, CF Martin & Company, Ovation(incredible sound and technology) Paul Reed Smith, Peavey, Taylor(crazy expensive) and Washburn. There are many other brands but try to grab one of these and you will have a solid instrument.

Edited by vanfan73, 07 August 2012 - 03:53 PM.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#19 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Buy a used guitar that's easy to play as your first one, or borrow off your friend.

Get something cheaper until you get yourself a nicer one down the road!

Do this. Look on craigslist and buy used. You can get Art&Lutherie (or other Godin guitars) for about $200 on there and they play very well.
Posted Image

#20 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

First thing you need to do is when you pick up a guitar see if your hand can wrap all the way around. The necks on guitars come in various shapes and sizes. If you are serious about learning find the neck that best allows you to extend your fingers onto the fret board with the widest spread. Nylon stings are for sound really . Most Flamenco and classical guitarists will generally use nylon or hybrid type. Stick with traditional metal strings made for an acoustic. Your fingers will adapt do not listen to the pansies saying only play on nylon!

Stretch your hands and fingers and practice! practice ! practice! Do not get discouraged , break through the wall learn your favorite tune and go from there.

Look at kijiji, local music shops, even pawn shops have some really good units. Make sure the neck is straight at all costs no cracks in the body etc. A shallow bodied guitar would be ideal for a beginner but again if you are serious spend a few hundy 200- 500 and get yourself a descent instrument and case that you can progress with as you get better. All brands are not created equal do your research :D

Good quality brands are Fender , Gibson(insanely expensive!) Yamaha, Ibanez, Alvarez, Dean, Epiphone(my fav) Gretsch, Jackson, Kramer, CF Martin & Company, Ovation(incredible sound and technology) Paul Reed Smith, Peavey, Taylor(crazy expensive) and Washburn. There are many other brands but try to grab one of these and you will have a solid instrument.

Pansies? ... :shock: .. I was playing guitar when yer Daddy was still playing with himself ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#21 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Learn Bass instead. There's too many guitarists nowadays.

Sincerely, A disgruntled Drummer.

Decent bass players are definitely hard to come by.
Posted Image

#22 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

AriaDrall is a solid bet, but Im not sure they make acoustic guitars. I would also recommend trying out the base guitar as well just to see if you like it. Its a lot of fun if you ask me.

Or, maybe do what I did and try bunch out. Thats the method I would recommend, you just figure it out for yourself.

#23 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

Pansies? ... :shock: .. I was playing guitar when yer Daddy was still playing with himself ..

LMAO ! I highly doubt that -_-

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

#24 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have an extra one if you want it. Yamaha acoustic with pickup, sans eq. Just needs new strings. Thinking of putting it on Craigs. $100? Either that or i'll put some strings on it and keep it around. Meh.

I'd recommend super-light strings to start. Easier on the hands. But if you want to work in your hands quicker, get heavier strings. They also sound better. Just don't be shocked if you slice the fingertips up real good.

One way to work out your fingers is to repeat the Spock V sign ( \\//_ ) to inverted spock ( \||/_ ) over and over. With a bent wrist and a straight wrist. I read that's how Hammett warms up. That'll help with the pain, but the slicing up of the fingertips is unavoidable until you get calluses.
Posted Image

#25 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,452 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

See if you can find a Seagull on craigslist.
Moo

#26 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

See if you can find a Seagull on craigslist.

My first and only guitar I got 4 years ago was a Seagull M6 Gloss for $300 used.

Love the sound!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#27 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's all about budget. If you have around $500 to spend, you should pick up a Taylor. If you have around $400 to spend, I recommend a Seagull S6. If you have around $300 I recommend a Yamaha.

Good advice. I bought a Seagull S6 for my first guitar and guess what? I still play it daily, great guitar, handmade in QC. I disagree with other posters that buying a cheapy is the way to go until you know for sure whether or not you'll like playing the guitar. Here's a tip, at the beginning... you won't like playing the guitar! It's really hard at the beginning. Good news is that it gets easier the harder you try, and when it gets easier, it gets easier very fast. It's kinda like golf that way. Super hard and not fun at all, but once you're good you get better really quick. Anyways i'm repeating myself. My point is, buy a decent guitar like I did because once you get better you'll regret buying a sh!tty guitar. Plus I always found crappy guitars to be harder to play, I dunno jsut my two cents. Cheers!

P.S

G C & D chords are your friend;)

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#28 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

LMAO at anyone actually slicing there fingertips on strings ? Been playing for years and have never heard of this in my life. I know many instructors and musicians and asked , they were just as bewildered. Not to mention the lighter gauge you use the more it will hurt because the strings are way thinner thus pressing farther into your tips. Thicker gauge will require you to press a little harder fatiguing your hand but it wont hurt as much . Medium gauge are the best for beginners giving the best all around play. The only thing that will happen is calluses will build up on the tips after a few weeks of continual practice. Depending on how you progress and what styles you play different gauges will be needed. I highly recommend Dean Markley Blue Steel strings amazing sound ! Fender acoustics are nearly unmatched in quality for the price you will pay. Keep in mind if you buy an acoustic that can be plugged into an amp it will need a specific acoustic amp or you will get nasty feed back when playing, but you will always have the option to amplify so it is a win win really.

just a link for a simple acoustic/electric
http://www.fender.co...rtno=0961530006

http://www.deanmarkl.../248-blue-steel

Edited by vanfan73, 08 August 2012 - 09:28 PM.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

#29 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Started playing acoustic in 1963 .. November, to my first Dylan album .. have known many "players" who quit early as they could not handle "steel" strings, tho most would not admit it .. some folks are very sensitive .. some folks are numb to pain .. some folks are too "dim" to know the difference ..

#30 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Well, LMAO, i sliced up my fingers while learning, with medium strings, and plenty of others have as well. Not enough to draw blood, but it hurt a bit. But i was practicing for hours at a time. I found the hand pain of maintaining certain chords at the beginning to be a bigger issue. That's where lighter strings might have helped.

Meh. You buy a guitar, you learn how to play, you get past these minor problems.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.